Welcome to the Suns F Isiah Todd

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t predict it.. just claiming everything like I did. This is a nice surprise..

Don't be modest. You knew something else was coming and tried to tell us.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we trade CP3 and Shammet plus 6 second round picks for Beal. Now we got 3 second round picks back. That Beal trade is looking better now isn't it?

James Jones and Mat Ishbia are playing a different type of game.

We are just along for the ride.

You must be registered for see images attach

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So we trade CP3 and Shammet plus 6 second round picks for Beal. Now we got 3 second round picks back. That Beal trade is looking better now isn't it?
So really traded cp3 and shammet plus 3 second round picks for Beal and goodwin.

We really traded cp3 who we were going to waive.. shammet a guy who we felt was a mistake in giving a contract to and wanted to shed his contract.. and now todd a guy who was on the bubble of being waived if another piece came along..

Man those are solid moves..

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa! Where did this come from? Suddenly the Suns have some assets and are down to a 15-man roster with the Todd trade.

Ish Wainright's contract is still not guaranteed as far as I know.

Here is a link to the trade at Arizona Sports.

Ishbia is not playing around. This should be good news for some people worried about the future and our assets. It appears Ishbia has that on his mind in addition to what is going on in the present. I have said it repeatedly that this guy doesn't strike me as someone who is going to let the franchise flail.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice to get a couple second rounders back. Now the Beal trade is cp3 and Landry for Beal, Goodwin and 4 second round picks.

Beal>cp3
Goodwin>Shamet (maybe)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ishbia is not playing around. This should be good news for some people worried about the future and our assets. It appears Ishbia has that on his mind in addition to what is going on in the present. I have said it repeatedly that this guy doesn't strike me as someone who is going to let the franchise flail.

However, I believe the Suns situation would have been more precarious if the Beal trade didn't happen as structured.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears though that every move since Ishbia has taken over seems extremely calculated. No?

Extremely calculated, except it doesn't mean something couldn't have gone wrong.

IMO, trading for Beal might have been as risky as trading for Durant. Perhaps even more risky because the Suns had few quality assets to pull off the trade.

So many things could have gone awry. I think signing Beal was pivotal to the Suns other moves. We saw what the Suns team looked like after the trade deadline last season.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Extremely calculated, except it doesn't mean something couldn't have gone wrong.

IMO, trading for Beal might have been as risky as trading for Durant. Perhaps even more risky because the Suns had few quality assets to pull off the trade.

So many things could have gone awry. I think signing Beal was pivotal to the Suns other moves. We saw what the Suns team looked like after the trade deadline last season.
You just described every transaction in NBA history. I think people got ahead of themselves not knowing who Ishbia was or how he would run this franchise. There was a bunch of sky is falling stuff which is proving to be unwarranted. I get it though. Ishbia even right now still has some unknowns.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just described every transaction in NBA history. I think people got ahead of themselves not knowing who Ishbia was or how he would run this franchise.

About all we know now, is how Mat Ishbia ran the team after he took over before the trade deadline last season.

This doesn't mean things couldn't have gone terribly wrong.

Actually, they still can, although the near future is looking much brighter.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My first impression is Ishbia is like Collangelo but with more money. JC had great basketball smarts, but no money.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
About all we know now, is how Mat Ishbia ran the team after he took over before the trade deadline last season.

This doesn't mean things couldn't have gone terribly wrong.

Actually, they still can, although the near future is looking much brighter.
Hindsight is 20/20 with any move. I don't care who you draft, who you trade for or who you sign. It can always go wrong. I don't think that should deter you from putting a winning team on the floor. If he continues to try and put a winner on the floor while keeping an eye to the future? What more can fans ask for?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20 with any move. I don't care who you draft, who you trade for or who you sign. It can always go wrong. I don't think that should deter you from putting a winning team on the floor. If he continues to try and put a winner on the floor while keeping an eye to the future? What more can fans ask for?

Again, often there is more than one path to a destination.

Let's hope this is the right one, but it's not like the Suns weren't winning or a contender before Mat Ishbia took over.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Let's hope this is the right one, but it's not like the Suns weren't winning or a contender before Mat Ishbia took over.
I don't think that winning was a concern. It was the next step. Were we getting closer or further from a Championship? It could be argued we peaked in 2021, and were getting worse over the next two seasons. We could have continued with the same guys. An aging CP3, and guys who were part of the slide over the next season and a half. Also, arguable, was the coaching staff peaked in 2021, too. A change of direction seems logical.

There's no way you get KD for cheap. So guys splitting the difference saying you would do the trade but with less assets is not a real option. The deal is what it took. It is what it is.

That we improved the team after this, is arguably a stroke of brilliance, imho.

It seems logical the moves Ishbia made. Need better player, he went and got the top guy available. Coaching needed to be changed, check. Needed more talent around KD and Book, check.

It all seems logical and check listed items.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that winning was a concern. It was the next step. Were we getting closer or further from a Championship? It could be argued we peaked in 2021, and were getting worse over the next two seasons. We could have continued with the same guys. An aging CP3, and guys who were part of the slide over the next season and a half. Also, arguable, was the coaching staff peaked in 2021, too. A change of direction seems logical.

There's no way you get KD for cheap. So guys splitting the difference saying you would do the trade but with less assets is not a real option. The deal is what it took. It is what it is.

That we improved the team after this, is arguably a stroke of brilliance, imho.

It seems logical the moves Ishbia made. Need better player, he went and got the top guy available. Coaching needed to be changed, check. Needed more talent around KD and Book, check.

It all seems logical and check listed items.

I would have not included Mikal Bridges in the trade for Durant, period. I don't believe that trade was the only path forward although I liked Durant but not at that price.

See the path the Lakers took and I thought the Suns were better positioned to make moves.

The Suns set a franchise record for wins in the 2021-22 season.

They needed to make changes for the 2022-23 season, but that didn't mean the Suns had to go all in for Durant. The Suns mostly bid against themselves at the trade deadline.

The Suns had plenty of talent with room to otherwise improve if James Jones had chosen to do so.

They had all their draft picks and expiring contracts in Crowder and Saric to do so.

Inexplicably, James Jones chose to sit on those assets all season, presumably because he was locked into trading for Durant. We saw what that team looked like.

Fortunately, the Suns were able to turn Paul and Shamet into Beal and were better prepared to explore the market this season.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I would have not included Mikal Bridges in the trade for Durant, period. I don't believe that trade was the only path forward although I liked Durant but not at that price.

See the path the Lakers took and I thought the Suns were better positioned to make moves.

The Suns set a franchise record for wins in the 2021-22 season.

They needed to make changes for the 2022-23 season, but that didn't mean the Suns had to go all in for Durant. The Suns mostly bid against themselves at the trade deadline.

The Suns had plenty of talent with room to otherwise improve if James Jones had chosen to do so.

They had all their draft picks and expiring contracts in Crowder and Saric to do so.

Inexplicably, James Jones chose to sit on those assets all season, presumably because he was locked into trading for Durant. We saw what that team looked like.

Fortunately, the Suns were able to turn Paul and Shamet into Beal and were better prepared to explore the market this season.
Some of the smarter NBA pundits said the Suns wouldn't really be full up Suns until off season maneuvers. They were right. Guys like Legler had us winning everything just based on KD and Book together. We needed a bit more than that, obviously. It is arguable we had a shot until that CP3 got hurt in the game we were leading. We could have been in the Finals in an alternate universe.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sure but as you stated that doesn’t mean the alternative path can’t go wrong. So the concerns are the same. Besides this team regressed. Approach had to change.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Don't be modest. You knew something else was coming and tried to tell us.

I mean some may consider me a small owner in the team but I help Matt Ishbia with funds to purchase the team. That got me an inside source.

(By helping him with funds I just made my mortgage payments to UWM on time)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of the smarter NBA pundits said the Suns wouldn't really be full up Suns until off season maneuvers. They were right. Guys like Legler had us winning everything just based on KD and Book together. We needed a bit more than that, obviously. It is arguable we had a shot until that CP3 got hurt in the game we were leading. We could have been in the Finals in an alternate universe.

The Suns didn't have enough rotation players last season to get it done.

Looking at the roster after the trade deadline, it looked like James Jones was rushed to put a team together.

My guess, this is what happened as the Durant trade was made with little time to spare.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure but as you stated that doesn’t mean the alternative path can’t go wrong. So the concerns are the same. Besides this team regressed. Approach had to change.

Nothing is guaranteed.

I think the Suns roster needed to be improved last season, but Phoenix was mostly stagnant until the trade deadline.

I would have taken an approach more similar to the Lakers, but that's only my opinion. We all want what is best for the Suns.

Last edited: