Welcome Josh Dobbs. Arizona trades a 5th round pick for Joshua Dobbs and a 7th round pick

AzCardsfan76

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Dobbs majored in aerospace engineering — also known as rocket science. He's continued to study the topic since he joined the NFL and even completed an externship with NASA in February 2020. He was also presented by Tennessee with the 2017 Torchbearer Award, the school's highest honor for an undergraduate student with outstanding accomplishments in academics and the community. Dobbs maintained a perfect 4.0 GPA in college.

We have our own rocket scientist!
He should stick to rocket science, has a better shot of getting to the moon than becoming even an average NFL QB.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Waiting for someone better to come available?
Sounds like a great plan… if you’re planning on failing spectacularly. Which is apparently the plan. I just don’t understand why we’d give up any draft capital to do so. We’ve got Tune. We scouted Tune. He’s been in the system all off-season. Why throw anything at Dobbs if it would detract from anything next season?

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Or... what if somebody likes what they see in Clayton Tune and we're about to trade him???

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last year in Tennessee Dobbs was able to beat out Malik Willis for the starting job after a single week of practice. I think he's about to replicate that with Tune.
The Cardinals wanted Dobbs from day 1, but apparently, the Browns outbid us. Those that actually follow this franchise instead of bitching every day would know that. I’m perfectly fine with this trade. I was impressed with him when he filled in for Titans last year. Kid is smart & knows our offense & FITS our offense.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Cardinals wanted Dobbs from day 1, but apparently, the Browns outbid us. Those that actually follow this franchise instead of bitching every day would know that. I’m perfectly fine with this trade. I was impressed with him when he filled in for Titans last year. Kid is smart & knows our offense & FITS our offense.
Is this the end of McCoy? Trade Tune, unlikely so we carry three QBs?

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm fine with it. Do I love it? No. However, we traded the Eagles 5th and received the Browns 7th so we are talking about a delta of probably 45 picks at the end of the draft or the value of a 7th round pic depending on which NFL Draft trade chart you look at. Said differently, the difference in the value of drafting Owen Pappoe or Dante Stills (I know he was a 6th rounder but I'm speaking in approximations of actual pick position).

We get a QB who understands the system and the staff knows him well.

I can understand being a little underwhelmed, but to be angry about it seems a bit dramatic.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is this the end of McCoy? Trade Tune, unlikely so we carry three QBs?
MO always wanted Dobbs from Day 1 to be QB1 until Murray returned. When he wouldn’t overpay for him, he let him sign with Cleveland. I’m sure he stayed in touch with Cleveland all along & this opportunity presented itself. I would be surprised if this isn’t the end of McCoy. There was no prior relationship with McCoy & Colt‘s arm limits what this offense needs to be able to do to have success. And he doesn’t have the legs to help either. Until Murray returns, Dobbs fits this offense far more than Colt does.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I really don’t understand how it took this long for these guys to realize Colt McCoy could not be a stopgap starter to begin the year in this league.
It sounds like they did. Kyle Odegard stated a couple times that they wanted to sign Jacoby Brissett, but he didn't want to sign with them. Now the news that they wanted to sign Dobbs earlier but couldn't get the money right (despite a boat load of cap space). Somers has also said they tried to shop in the free agent market but were unsuccessful in their attempts to sign better players.

If the Texans are decent next year and the Cards win a couple of try-hard games at the end of the season to knock them out of a top 3 pick, this offseason is going to look like a nightmare.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like they did. Kyle Odegard stated a couple times that they wanted to sign Jacoby Brissett, but he didn't want to sign with them. Now the news that they wanted to sign Dobbs earlier but couldn't get the money right (despite a boat load of cap space). Somers has also said they tried to shop in the free agent market but were unsuccessful in their attempts to sign better players.
I mean… none of that speaks well for these guys that they can get what they want done. If castoffs didn’t want to come here last off-season, why is anyone going to want to come here after possibly an even worse season than last year.
If the Texans are decent next year and the Cards win a couple of try-hard games at the end of the season to knock them out of a top 3 pick, this offseason is going to look like a nightmare.
Yop.

We’ll see. I really don’t think the Cardinals win more than 3 or 4 games. It’s the least talented Cardinals team I’ve ever seen that is intentionally jettisoning talent for picks next year… or nothing. I don’t think that’s an accident. It has to be by design. But it’ll take a while to see if the design ends up being intelligent or as far-fetched as intelligent design.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I prefer to think this may lead to the sell of the Cardinals. It happened with the Suns. Weirder things have happened.
No, not happening. Bidwill family lives off Cardinal franchise, I doubt they ever sell.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Six hours later, WTH is this guy going to do on a rebuilding team joining before week 1? Why throw away even a fifth round pick?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, not happening. Bidwill family lives off Cardinal franchise, I doubt they ever sell.

We didn't think Robert Sarver was going anywhere either until that ESPN story broke.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
O
The Cards just invested a 5th for a QB who will likely help lose more games, thus keeping AZ as front runner for 2024 #1 overall pick. Monti out here playing chess, while we're all just playing checkers.

:biglaugh:
Ok that’s awesome

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson