Welcome Cam Johnson

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
In terms of point guards who are realistically available? D'Angelo Russell (who is now reported as going to the Lakers) or Darren Collison (who is reported as not being interested in coming here).

I maintain that your point only holds if they actually acquire that mythical point guard, and I have yet to hear or see any indication that they are even bringing in someone better than Tyler Johnson.
Prove to us that Darren Collison is significantly better than Tyler Johnson.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

The eye test, for one. Collison actually passes the ball and doesn't just constantly hoist up contested long jumpers.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
In terms of point guards who are realistically available? D'Angelo Russell (who is now reported as going to the Lakers) or Darren Collison (who is reported as not being interested in coming here).

I maintain that your point only holds if they actually acquire that mythical point guard, and I have yet to hear or see any indication that they are even bringing in someone better than Tyler Johnson.

I haven't made a point yet in this thread?

It seems the team doesn't view Russell as the type of PG that best fits this team... Aside from his one solid season (last year which happened to be the final year of his current contract... hmmmm....), he's been average at best. Not saying he might not further develop into a perennial all-start... he might. But I can totally appreciate a team not wanting to dump $30 Million a year on him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I haven't made a point yet in this thread?

It seems the team doesn't view Russell as the type of PG that best fits this team... Aside from his one solid season (last year which happened to be the final year of his current contract... hmmmm....), he's been average at best. Not saying he might not further develop into a perennial all-start... he might. But I can totally appreciate a team not wanting to dump $30 Million a year on him.

That's fine, but they need someone next to Booker who can actually create and facilitate for others, or else at least two of the trio of spot-up shooters they just acquired last Thursday (namely Saric and Cam Johnson) are completely useless. Tyler Johnson clearly is not that player.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think you are confusing rumored or speculated with reported.

But I agree, we may well not bring in a guard better than Tyler Johnson. But Tyler Johnson is much better than the trio of PGs that we had early last season, the only hitch being his ability to stay healthy.

We all know your feelings on Tyler but this team played much better when he was in the lineup (and when he and Kelly were in the lineup). It was a very small sample and our opponents had no need to do any serious scouting but it's not like Tyler or Oubre were new to the league. Of course, at this time we don't even know if Kelly is coming back.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Meanwhile, if you want numbers, here you go:

Career:

G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% eFG% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS

270 68 26.8 4.0 9.2 .433 1.3 3.5 .364 2.7 5.6 .477 .504 1.8 2.3 .771 0.6 2.8 3.3 2.5 0.9 0.5 1.2 2.0 11.0

708 518 29.4 4.6 9.8 .471 0.9 2.3 .394 3.7 7.5 .495 .517 2.4 2.8 .853 0.5 2.2 2.7 5.0 1.2 0.1 2.0 1.7 12.5

Last Season:

G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% eFG% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS

57 22 26.8 3.8 9.2 .413 1.6 4.6 .346 2.2 4.7 .477 .498 1.7 2.2 .748 0.6 2.4 3.0 2.9 0.9 0.5 1.4 1.7 10.9

76 76 28.2 4.1 8.7 .467 1.0 2.6 .407 3.0 6.1 .492 .527 2.1 2.5 .832 0.5 2.6 3.1 6.0 1.4 0.1 1.6 1.8 11.2

Take a wild guess which is which...

And other than just the assist and turnover numbers (which were better than in Miami but still nowhere near as good as Collison's), Johnson's numbers with the Suns were even worse:

13 12 31.2 3.5 9.6 .368 1.4 4.3 .321 2.2 5.3 .406 .440 2.6 3.0 .872 1.2 2.8 4.0 4.2 1.1 0.5 1.1 1.9 11.1

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think you are confusing rumored or speculated with reported.

But I agree, we may well not bring in a guard better than Tyler Johnson. But Tyler Johnson is much better than the trio of PGs that we had early last season, the only hitch being his ability to stay healthy.

We all know your feelings on Tyler but this team played much better when he was in the lineup (and when he and Kelly were in the lineup). It was a very small sample and our opponents had no need to do any serious scouting but it's not like Tyler or Oubre were new to the league. Of course, at this time we don't even know if Kelly is coming back.

They had one good week, just as they did before acquiring Tyler and Oubre, and other than that, they were as bad, if not worse.

Do you really want 17 point blow-outs at home to the likes of the Jazz to become the new norm for us?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
That's fine, but they need someone next to Booker who can actually create and facilitate for others, or else at least two of the trio of spot-up shooters they just acquired last Thursday (namely Saric and Cam Johnson) are completely useless. Tyler Johnson clearly is not that player.

Johnson is not the long-term solution... but he is definitely serviceable. And Jerome is touted as being exactly the type of player you are asking for. He may not be ready to be a starter, or even grab a lot of mins in his rookie year - but, this team isn't going to the playoffs this year anyway.
Who knows what this team will do over the coming weeks. They have some money to play with... and if they can off-load JJ, they'll have even more.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They had one good week, just as they did before acquiring Tyler and Oubre, and other than that, they were as bad, if not worse.

Do you really want 17 point blow-outs at home to the likes of the Jazz to become the new norm for us?

Do you get dizzy from all this spinning?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Johnson is not the long-term solution... but he is definitely serviceable. And Jerome is touted as being exactly the type of player you are asking for. He may not be ready to be a starter, or even grab a lot of mins in his rookie year - but, this team isn't going to the playoffs this year anyway.
Who knows what this team will do over the coming weeks. They have some money to play with... and if they can off-load JJ, they'll have even more.

That is precisely what was said on this board last season when I was going ballistic about the prospect of starting Canaan or Harrison at the point, only substitute Canaan/Harrison for Johnson, Okobo/Melton for Jerome and Warren for JJ. We all saw how that worked out for us (Hint, it resulted in an unbearable season with an entirely unwatchable team)...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Do you get dizzy from all this spinning?

What spinning? That was the last game this team played with both Oubre and Tyler in the line-up. That is certainly less spinning than cherry-picking a single unlikely week of good basketball and calling that an improved team.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
That is precisely what was said on this board last season when I was going ballistic about the prospect of starting Canaan or Harrison at the point, only substitute Canaan/Harrison for Johnson, Okobo/Melton for Jerome and Warren for JJ. We all saw how that worked out for us (Hint, it resulted in an unbearable season with an entirely unwatchable team)...

So, sounds like you won't be watching this team this year since it will merely be a rinse & repeat of last year...Do I have that right? :rolleyes:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So, sounds like you won't be watching this team this year since it will merely be a rinse & repeat of last year...Do I have that right? :rolleyes:

Barring an unexpected major acquisition in free agency, of course I won't. Then again, why would ANYONE watch a rinse & repeat of last year?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Barring an unexpected major acquisition in free agency, of course I won't. Then again, why would ANYONE watch a rinse & repeat of last year?

Well...as a fan of the team, I will watch... rinse & repeat or not. Of course, I don't see the coming year as being a rinse & repeat. I don't see it as a playoff year either. But I do see moves that have been made, both at the player level, as well as coaching and even the confirmation of Jones as the GM, that are promising and offer glimpses of hope that the team is turning, slowly, toward better days. ;)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The eye test, for one. Collison actually passes the ball and doesn't just constantly hoist up contested long jumpers.
That is not good enough, the eye test is totally subjective and doesn’t adequately support such an extreme opinion.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That is not good enough, the eye test is totally subjective and doesn’t adequately support such an extreme opinion.

Well, I posted the numbers as well, which happen to confirm the eye test...

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I maintain that Bridge's is working his ass off right now to be that person. Then they brought in Ty Jerome for a shot.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I maintain that Bridge's is working his ass off right now to be that person. Then they brought in Ty Jerome for a shot.

I hate to break it to you, but ball handling and facilitating are and always have been Bridges' weaknesses. Offensively, Bridges is a spot-up shooter just like Cam Johnson, and nothing more. And I love Bridges. I just know his limitations.

And Ty Jerome doesn't have the athleticism to compete with opposing starters. His ceiling is as a nice back-up.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Oh I'm sure you will be watching and posting....book it. No pun intended. But you might have a 3 month vacation!

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
But with his height and his quick release, I don't know why he'd be a lesser shooter in the pros than he has been.

Because transition from NCAA to NBA is very tough, and only a very few can successfully make it. I think that Johnson will be one of them is quite far from being pretty certain.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I hate to break it to you, but ball handling and facilitating are and always have been Bridges' weaknesses.
Yes I stated that wrong and got hammered. You know I'm point Book and Bridges is a SG and working hard to fill that position.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes I stated that wrong and got hammered. You know I'm point Book and Bridges is a SG and working hard to fill that position.

Bridges can already play the 2. The problem is that Booker at the 1 has already proved to be an unmitigated failure...twice.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Days later I am still floored we turned the #6 pick into taller Chase Budinger

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard