Week 5 2022: Heroes and Goats

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure glad we caved and gave Golden that raise. So happy he got his $$$….
I don't mind the Golden raise at all really. Sad he hasn't produced though. We do need someone on the other side to complement him though. We are doing just find with Allen/Watt in the middle. He should be doing better.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the Golden raise at all really. Sad he hasn't produced though. We do need someone on the other side to complement him though. We are doing just find with Allen/Watt in the middle. He should be doing better.
Yea considering he lines up next to watt 60-70% of the time he should be doing much better.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think there’s a reason Golden has bounced around the league and has struggled to ever put back to back good years.
It's okay to be a complementary pass rusher, even if that's your role for your whole career. Truly elite edge rushers are a rare species. There's a reason why Maxx Crosby is on pace to more than double his career single-season sack record.

It's even more difficult to find elite edge rushers when you decline to draft prospects at the position for seven years. The last edge rusher we drafted was Markus Golden.

Ugh. Fire Keim.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
How many good kickers do you know just sat around who are willing to turn up for 1 game with a holder and snapper they never worked with before and thus risk their future prospects of signing long term with someone?

The ONLY kickers available are not good kickers who just having the chance to kick in a game is all upside for them. Long shots.
This has to be one of the most illogical or rather skewed perspective I have seen on American football. I say American football to make it clear this is not how unemployed kickers act, this is not how kickers are perceived, and this is not how a kicker perceives an opportunity in this sport. You make like pro kickers are some kind of European football soccer diva. In this league, if you are not kicking it is because 32 have the job already filled and one takes any opportunity they can get. The limited 32 also means there are better kickers left out of the mix than the guy we signed that can at least kick a 43 yard field goal. I would love to see the reaction of an NFL GM hearing a guy turn down the job because he has not worked with the holder or a snapper. If you are not signed, you are begging for a chance (the score of kickers from college who I think can at least hit that 43 yarder, go ask the Eagle's Dicker) or a shot at redemption with better percentages than our guy

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Golden is missing Chan on the other side.

Well Chandler outside of a little sign of life last night has done absolutely nothing this season. Literally. Not sure it would help much. Playing next to Watt is a definite plus.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Chandler outside of a little sign of life last night has done absolutely nothing this season. Literally. Not sure it would help much. Playing next to Watt is a definite plus.
Didn't he start off the game yesterday well?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm talking about Golden benefiting from the attention Chan got last year. Now his opposite is Kennard.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't he start off the game yesterday well?
That’s why I said small signs of life yesterday… But still 0 sacks on the season and very little of anything else overall.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s why I said small signs of life yesterday… But still 0 sacks on the season and very little of anything else overall.
I didn't watch the first quarter and a half.

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I couldn't watch the whole game

Saw the very start and saw us getting torched on defense, AJ Brown looked like he'd get 100+ yards. Jalen Hurts doing as he pleased.

Nothing happening on offense plus an intercept.

Oh well, I'm not missing anything. Went to work.

Checked the scores in the 3rd quarter and pleasantly surprised that it hadn't blown out. Checked again, down 10-17. Ok.

Snuck another look, 17-17 with 1:56 left. Wow! Couldn't believe it based on what I'd seen early.

Checked one final time. Damn.

Reading on here it sounds like we played terribly and having caught a few highlights since yeah there were some key moments that ultimately lost us the match. But there must have been plenty of good stuff against an undefeated team.

Makes me wonder about the ceiling of our team. If we're pushing quality, playoff bound line ups while making a bunch of dumb mistakes, what if...?

I acknowledge that we've been asking this for a while admittedly.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Seriously. Being able to give full-time attention to something really amplifies your expertise at it. On the other hand, there's probably not that much for most GMs to do, so it reaches a point of diminishing returns.

If you're a GM there's no reason to spend 14 hours a day at the facility. Hours 9-14 are probably actually detrimental to your ability to do good work.
Regardless of how many actual hours (I’d argue a 50 hour work week isn’t insane for that position), he’s still doing it full time with all those resources. Don’t ask a fan what would they do instead of keim as some kind of reasonable retort. That rod don’t fish.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I couldn't watch the whole game

Saw the very start and saw us getting torched on defense, AJ Brown looked like he'd get 100+ yards. Jalen Hurts doing as he pleased.

Nothing happening on offense plus an intercept.

Oh well, I'm not missing anything. Went to work.

Checked the scores in the 3rd quarter and pleasantly surprised that it hadn't blown out. Checked again, down 10-17. Ok.

Snuck another look, 17-17 with 1:56 left. Wow! Couldn't believe it based on what I'd seen early.

Checked one final time. Damn.

Reading on here it sounds like we played terribly and having caught a few highlights since yeah there were some key moments that ultimately lost us the match. But there must have been plenty of good stuff against an undefeated team.

Makes me wonder about the ceiling of our team. If we're pushing quality, playoff bound line ups while making a bunch of dumb mistakes, what if...?

I acknowledge that we've been asking this for a while admittedly.
Football Outsiders characterized the game as the Eagles at their worst edging out the Cardinals at their best. I don't know if that's completely true. Kyler was the third-most-efficient QB in the NFL last week (by DYAR) and we scored 17 points.

We have to do better than that, but against a good opponent I don't know if we have much more unless DHop comes back ready to contribute at peak form.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Football Outsiders characterized the game as the Eagles at their worst edging out the Cardinals at their best. I don't know if that's completely true. Kyler was the third-most-efficient QB in the NFL last week (by DYAR) and we scored 17 points.

We have to do better than that, but against a good opponent I don't know if we have much more unless DHop comes back ready to contribute at peak form.
I think that is an exaggeration. The Eagles offense has been pretty bad, except for the 2nd quarters in all of their games besides ours.

I also think the Cards can improve more.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think that is an exaggeration. The Eagles offense has been pretty bad, except for the 2nd quarters in all of their games besides ours.

I also think the Cards can improve more.
Eh. I dunno. If Kyler hadn't slid short of the sticks, we'd scored a TD on the drive, and won in regulation, I think that would be about as good a win as we could hope for against a good opponent. Wouldn't change anything about the big picture for the Cards, either.

Saying that this offense is a sleeping giant just waiting to wake up seems a lot like wishcasting. We're five weeks into the season.

Philly has been pretty good -- they've rolled the bad teams they've played (after Week 1) and won against everyone else. They're fifth in the league in scoring. We held them a full TD below their season average. That's pretty good — especially without forcing a turnover.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh. I dunno. If Kyler hadn't slid short of the sticks, we'd scored a TD on the drive, and won in regulation, I think that would be about as good a win as we could hope for against a good opponent. Wouldn't change anything about the big picture for the Cards, either.

Saying that this defense is a sleeping giant just waiting to wake up seems a lot like wishcasting. We're five weeks into the season.

Philly has been pretty good -- they've rolled the bad teams they've played (after Week 1) and won against everyone else. They're fifth in the league in scoring. We held them a full TD below their season average. That's pretty good — especially without forcing a turnover.
I don't think the Cards offense has played anywhere close to its best game. Any win against the last undefeated team should be 'as good as we could hope' but doesn't mean that we couldn't have performed better.

With that said, this team hasn't put together 60 min of good football in a year. Maybe they just can't anymore.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's okay to be a complementary pass rusher, even if that's your role for your whole career. Truly elite edge rushers are a rare species. There's a reason why Maxx Crosby is on pace to more than double his career single-season sack record.

It's even more difficult to find elite edge rushers when you decline to draft prospects at the position for seven years. The last edge rusher we drafted was Markus Golden.

Ugh. Fire Keim.

We drafted two this year.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

that feels uncharitable by FO. it was one of those 50/50 games.

it came down to two possessions: the Cards at the end of the 1st half had two throws into the end zone, and due to time, they kicked a FG on 3rd down.

at the end, another possession inside the 25 that yielded 0 points.

thats a potential for 14 or 10 points, and they got 3. game over.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose