Week 5 2022: Heroes and Goats

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I get the anger here on this board, but is nobody else encouraged by the performance yesterday? I understand we should be past moral victories with a 250m QB, but yesterday proved to me that we are closer to the playoff team I expected this year than to the bottom third team in league based on start to year. 3-3 with Hop coming back could really set us up for a strong finish to the year and maybe picking up some momentum heading into December. Gotta use Kyler's legs in the first quarter.
Facts. We are getting better. Our normal
Kicker we are in OT. One pass better we are 3-2. Missed Ertz was huge. Defense is playing very well. I don’t know how anyone is blaming VJ. We have 1 good corner and no pass rush unless we blitz. And we have held good teams to 20 and under. Yardage is really solid. Eagles struggled really entire game after first quarter. DHop is going to make us 7-9 points better which is going to win us 6-7 games when he comes back. If we can get to 9-8 10-7 we can make playoffs. Heck once in anything can happen. Remember our super bowl run

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Oof. That would be pretty progressive. Don't think the Cards had that in them. What were the assets that you would have sold from that team though?

Patrick Peterson, Chandler Jones, and Larry Fitzgerald were the only stars over 28 on that team. Humphries? Budda?

Dude, Rodney Gunter had a nice little contract year, and then never played in the NFL again. Retired with a heart condition after signing a free agent deal with the Jags.
Sell off Peterson and Jones at that point.

Trade every vet and picks to acquire more. The Browns may have sucked for years, but that method built them into the talent stocked team they are now.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Facts. We are getting better. Our normal
Kicker we are in OT. One pass better we are 3-2. Missed Ertz was huge. Defense is playing very well. I don’t know how anyone is blaming VJ. We have 1 good corner and no pass rush unless we blitz. And we have held good teams to 20 and under. Yardage is really solid. Eagles struggled really entire game after first quarter. DHop is going to make us 7-9 points better which is going to win us 6-7 games when he comes back. If we can get to 9-8 10-7 we can make playoffs. Heck once in anything can happen. Remember our super bowl run
Sir, this is Arby's.

On a serious note, what did I just read.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I get the anger here on this board, but is nobody else encouraged by the performance yesterday? I understand we should be past moral victories with a 250m QB, but yesterday proved to me that we are closer to the playoff team I expected this year than to the bottom third team in league based on start to year. 3-3 with Hop coming back could really set us up for a strong finish to the year and maybe picking up some momentum heading into December. Gotta use Kyler's legs in the first quarter.
Sorry, but Kliffy’s history means we’re set up for more heartbreak in the latter half of the season.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Kickers are brought in and tested under the supervision of the Special Teams coach and his job as a professional with specific responsibilities to assess and recommend. So what exactly would you have Keim do when the ST Coach tells him that he's tested 'X' number of kickers and recommends kicker "Y"?

If kicker "Y" was missing 40-yard attempts left and right during the test, I somehow doubt Rogers would have said: "Steve, this is the guy!"
Again you’re missing the main point.
I find it hard to believe Keim didn’t doing any scouting on his replacement kicker. He’s the GM

I understand Rodgers worked him out. Whom is ultimately signing the guy & the decision maker on not only a kicker, but the entire roster? Steve Keim!!!

So you’re telling me Keim did zero homework on Ammendola because Rodgers said “this is the guy”. Keim made the wrong decision, based on a kicker who’s made 69% of his kicks & choked a game for the Chiefs just weeks ago. 69%!!! 43 yard FGs are basically gimmies in today’s game & he missed it big time. It’s on Keim!

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I’d look at how pathetic that kicker was when he was actually IN A GAME and then decide not to bring that terrible kicker in in the first place.
Absofreakinglutely! 69%? Pass!!!
That piss poor signing is squarely on Keim

When I saw Fox showing his pregame kicks I knew he was going to miss! The exact same kick that quickly faded knuckles right lol. Atrocious

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm 100% anti-Keim.

I'm not as harsh on him as others are because he has clearly done a good job at times on some aspects of the roster and on some position groups, but we all know he will never build a consistent winner. He relies on expensive veterans too much.

We can want Keim gone, and also not believe that EVERY. SINGLE. THING. is Keim's fault.

Some of the mental gymnastics on here to try put things on Keim is hilarious at times.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d look at how pathetic that kicker was when he was actually IN A GAME and then decide not to bring that terrible kicker in in the first place.

How many good kickers do you know just sat around who are willing to turn up for 1 game with a holder and snapper they never worked with before and thus risk their future prospects of signing long term with someone?

The ONLY kickers available are not good kickers who just having the chance to kick in a game is all upside for them. Long shots.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The exact same kick that quickly faded knuckles right lol. Atrocious
Ive seen (right footed) kickers pull kicks left

Ive seen kickers hook kicks left

Ive seen kickers push kicks right

i have never seen a kicker slice a ball right like that. Started straight down the middle, stayed straight for the first 1/3 of the distance, and then a spin right like i have never seen.

hard to believe

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Best defense grades from Sunday per PFF

The rookies are doing ok in the few snaps they are getting. They need to get more.

I. Simmons 74.4 (67)
B. Murphy 73. (73)
J. Thompson 69.7 (73)
J.J. Watt 66.9 (55)
M. Dogbe 66.0 (22)
Z. Allen 65.8 (58)
B. Baker 65.5 (73)
M. Sanders 65.2 (8)
C. Thomas 64.8 (10)
D. Kennard 63.2 (20)

And offense

M. Brown 73.3 (67)
Z. Ertz 67.8 (64)
J. Conner 67.6 (24)
A.J. Green 66.9 (51)
E. Benjamin 66.3 (37)
R. Moore 65.3 (63)
K. Murray 63.9 (69)
D. Williams 62.9 (9)
W. Hernandez 62.4 (69)
S. Harlow 62.3 (69)

Kyler has a season grade of 69.3. Last year he had 84.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Ive seen (right footed) kickers pull kicks left

Ive seen kickers hook kicks left

Ive seen kickers push kicks right

i have never seen a kicker slice a ball right like that. Started straight down the middle, stayed straight for the first 1/3 of the distance, and then a spin right like i have never seen.

hard to believe
Also describes my tee shot

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Kyler ended up #3 this week by DYAR.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many good kickers do you know just sat around who are willing to turn up for 1 game with a holder and snapper they never worked with before and thus risk their future prospects of signing long term with someone?

The ONLY kickers available are not good kickers who just having the chance to kick in a game is all upside for them. Long shots.

History says that's not true many of the really good kickers in this league have been FA's not that long before they became good kickers. Look at Koo with the Falcons about as good a kicker as there is now. Rookie year 2017 with Chargers 3-6, 2018 not on any team, 2019 the Falcons picked him up. He was the guy that was doing all the trickshot videos on youtube. Since they signed him he's gone 97-107 on FG's.

Dan Carlson has made something like 38 straight FG's for the Raiders, started his career as a Viking cut after going 1-4. Even Prater started his career in Atlanta got cut after going 1-4, signed with Denver on practice squad rest of year then became their kicker the following year.

Justin Tucker is not the norm with the Ravens his entire career good from the start. Lots of good NFL kickers started out struggling and were available on waivers. There's a ton of guys who have the leg to be an NFL kicker it's the ability to kick under pressure that separates them at the NFL level. Ammendola wasn't even an exceptional college kicker 77% in his career didn't have a huge leg etc.

There were kickers with better numbers available

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Kyler ended up #3 this week by DYAR.

his deep ball thing is perplexing. I would love some QB expert who knows mechanics to compare K1 a year ago to current to see if something has changed.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
his deep ball thing is perplexing. I would love some QB expert who knows mechanics to compare K1 a year ago to current to see if something has changed.
It's almost like chopping five inches off of the height of his outside targets might have made it more difficult to connect with them.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Best defense grades from Sunday per PFF

The rookies are doing ok in the few snaps they are getting. They need to get more.

I. Simmons 74.4 (67)
B. Murphy 73. (73)
J. Thompson 69.7 (73)
J.J. Watt 66.9 (55)
M. Dogbe 66.0 (22)
Z. Allen 65.8 (58)
B. Baker 65.5 (73)
M. Sanders 65.2 (8)
C. Thomas 64.8 (10)
D. Kennard 63.2 (20)

And offense

M. Brown 73.3 (67)
Z. Ertz 67.8 (64)
J. Conner 67.6 (24)
A.J. Green 66.9 (51)
E. Benjamin 66.3 (37)
R. Moore 65.3 (63)
K. Murray 63.9 (69)
D. Williams 62.9 (9)
W. Hernandez 62.4 (69)
S. Harlow 62.3 (69)

Kyler has a season grade of 69.3. Last year he had 84.
Let the kids take Kennard snaps. He does nothing.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Again you’re missing the main point.
I find it hard to believe Keim didn’t doing any scouting on his replacement kicker. He’s the GM

I understand Rodgers worked him out. Whom is ultimately signing the guy & the decision maker on not only a kicker, but the entire roster? Steve Keim!!!

So you’re telling me Keim did zero homework on Ammendola because Rodgers said “this is the guy”. Keim made the wrong decision, based on a kicker who’s made 69% of his kicks & choked a game for the Chiefs just weeks ago. 69%!!! 43 yard FGs are basically gimmies in today’s game & he missed it big time. It’s on Keim!

If you want to do the 'buck stops here' argument ad absurdum, go for it.

If Keim can't trust the recommendations from those below him, then the answer is to replace them, NOT DO THEIR JOB!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Here we go again - Teflon Keim gets a pass (and an extension!) because random dudes with day jobs on a message board named MaoTosiFanClub and Krangondzr don’t foresee his botched personnel moves in advance!

It’s Keim’s freaking job to read to tea leaves of his own roster and award team-friendly extensions in advance in order to build a better roster. Sorry but that’s GM 101. He doesn’t get a pass because us morons also didn’t see it coming.
My favorite response to keim criticism is “what would you have done?!?” Well, if I was the GM of a multi-billion dollar pro team with a full scouting team and had access to the connections and information keim does, and could dedicate 100% of my day to football, I’d tell you. But I don’t. Keim does. And he gets paid handsomely to do it well. He doesn’t.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My favorite response to keim criticism is “what would you have done?!?” Well, if I was the GM of a multi-billion dollar pro team with a full scouting team and had access to the connections and information keim does, and could dedicate 100% of my day to football, I’d tell you. But I don’t. Keim does. And he gets paid handsomely to do it well. He doesn’t.
Seriously. Being able to give full-time attention to something really amplifies your expertise at it. On the other hand, there's probably not that much for most GMs to do, so it reaches a point of diminishing returns.

If you're a GM there's no reason to spend 14 hours a day at the facility. Hours 9-14 are probably actually detrimental to your ability to do good work.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
And we don't know the trade options he was presented with. Maybe the Vikings dangled Hunter for a 3rd round pick? We don't know.