We could have had a V8.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
It seems we are reminded here several times a year that we, in the 2007 draft, could have had Adrian Peterson. Well, here we go again. It is 2023, 16 years later, and staring us in the face when we draft will be Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas, who is said to be the best RB since 2007. I wonder over the next 16 years who will take up the mantle and remind us each year that we could have had Robinson?

In addition, how many more R2 & R3 picks would we need to pick up in order to fill all our most immediate needs, if we were to splurge and use our first pick on a top RB, WR, or TE?

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It seems we are reminded here several times a year that we, in the 2007 draft, could have had Adrian Peterson. Well, here we go again. It is 2023, 16 years later, and staring us in the face when we draft will be Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas, who is said to be the best RB since 2007. I wonder over the next 16 years who will take up the mantle and remind us each year that we could have had Robinson?
A lot of good AP did Minnesota. Running backs are a dime a dozen, and wasting a top 15 pick on them would be incredibly stupid.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At 3, no way in hell. Trading down to 9-11, why not.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nobody said he was. Running back was a different position 20 years ago. Trying to fix the sins of the past in a totally different era would be incredibly silly.
I agree that the production of a RB is a dime a dozen, but every now and then a player comes along that transcends that. Not saying Bijan is or isn't that guy, but AP will always be AP regardless of the era.

Bijan could sneak into the top 10.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I agree that the production of a RB is a dime a dozen, but every now and then a player comes along that transcends that. Not saying Bijan is or isn't that guy, but AP will always be AP regardless of the era.
Yes, and running backs used to be a big featured position in the NFL. We can rattle off all the names of 20 years ago, Emmitt/Barry Sanders/AP, etc, but the position has been completely marginalized. RB's are grist for the mill, and the idea of a feature back taking 1st through 3rd down snaps barely exists anymore.
Bijan could sneak into the top 10.
Teams have made hundreds of mistakes in the top 10 - drafting a RB at this point would be craziness for anyone.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
A lot of good AP did Minnesota. Running backs are a dime a dozen, and wasting a top 15 pick on them would be incredibly stupid.
I don't know, man...if you knew you were getting a HOF RB, using a top 15 pick is a pretty damn smart move.

Years ago, someone here tried to argue that Ray Lewis was a bad draft pick because ILB shouldn't be first-round picks....eh no. It might not be the best use of draft capital for just a good player at a position like RB, but an exceptional one? I'd argue that if Adrian Peterson was redrafted, he would have gone HIGHER.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't know, man...if you knew you were getting a HOF RB, using a top 15 pick is a pretty damn smart move.
You don't know, and it's not.
Years ago, someone here tried to argue that Ray Lewis was a bad draft pick because ILB shouldn't be first-round picks....eh no.
Not sure what someone else's stupid argument has to do with the discussion now. Unless they are surefire hall of famers, drafting non-premium positions in the top 10 seems to be a terrible decision. I can't believe we're seriously discussing RB's in the same conversation.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You don't know, and it's not.
No you don't.
Not sure what someone else's stupid argument has to do with the discussion now.
Because it's the same damn argument. Duh.
Unless they are surefire hall of famers, drafting non-premium positions in the top 10 seems to be a terrible decision. I can't believe we're seriously discussing RB's in the same conversation.
Not just any RB. Bijan is a fantastic player.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

In addition, how many more R2 & R3 picks would we need to pick up in order to fill all our most immediate needs, if we were to splurge and use our first pick on a top RB, WR, or TE?
If Keim is on the table this time, it's more likely to be here (Kingpin)
You must be registered for see images attach

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe in todays NFL you need 2 or 3 running backs. Bellcow backs get brutalized.
Yes we need a rb in a bad way. But we need a big play back that can compliment Conner. We can find that guy early in the 4th.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I believe in todays NFL you need 2 or 3 running backs. Bellcow backs get brutalized.
Yes we need a rb in a bad way. But we need a big play back that can compliment Conner. We can find that guy early in the 4th.
Or we could start two guys off the street at RB, and you wouldn't be able to see an appreciable difference. (and we'd have more money to spend on useful positions!)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or we could start two guys off the street at RB, and you wouldn't be able to see an appreciable difference. (and we'd have more money to spend on useful positions!)
I’m missing your point. Are you for drafting Robinson or we aren’t in need of a rb?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Disagree for a top back. The blueprint is how the Steelers used LeVeon Bell. You base your entire offense around using that back in both the running and passing games. You don't try to limit carries or any of that nonsense. When the rookie deal runs out, either franchise or let them go. The only negative is that you didn't add a more critical position player with that pick.

If the Cardinals got a huge offer from Tennessee and the 8 or so non-QB spots were all taken, grabbing Bijan isn't the worst thing. I would rather him than Joey Porter Jr.

PlayerHater

Veteran
Reaction score

I don't hate it. The chance of Bijan being a stud RB is very high. If Anderson goes at 2, and we can't trade out I think Gonzalez, Witherspoon and Bijan are solid picks. I also think an elite RB could help kyler and this offense alot. Ideally if Anderson is gone we can trade back a bit and get one of these guys.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
The NFL landscape has changed. In the early and mid 2000's, runningbacks were considered one of the most important and sought after positions. I remember Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson and Cadillac Williams all going in the TOP 5 in the 2005 draft. It was a different era

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He would’ve been nice with Warner, Fitz and boldin. Back when runningbacks weren’t a dime a dozen. That would’ve been super bowl and multiple playoff seasons.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
2022 was a pretty major anomaly for RB production from late rounds, but last offseason I did a big breakdown of which RBs actually turned into the stud RBs everyone thinks we can "just get" in the the 4th or later, and the numbers were very bad.

You can get some slightly adequate complementary work, but the vast majority of starting RBs in this league were still 1st-3rd rounders.

This isn't me advocating for Robinson though. I would love to be in a position to take him, but it's a luxury pick for a team in a much better position than us.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
If we traded down to 12 or later yes Bijan should be a consideration. Having a great RB is still a big deal even today and would help Kyler out immensely.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
We're going to find out a lot about this GM room very soon. I will know it's more of the same when the Cards are taking Paris Johnson at #17. Anderson should be the pick unless he's gone. You need any good player at all in the draft to be your pick. I think I'd go with the safe pick and take the Alabama stud. Robinson would probably be the only other player I'd take besides Anderson. It will be known if it's the same old,same old. Still too much raising ticket prices, Andy Isabella, and Metcalf racing still. We'll know it's for all the wrong reasons if something that gnarly happens.

Last edited: