Watching the Twins succeed from afar.....

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yall seem to have forgotten that the month leading up to the trade Bridges was averaging about 23 points per game on high efficiency, he scored over 20 points in 12 of his final 15 games as a Sun.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yall seem to have forgotten that the month leading up to the trade Bridges was averaging about 23 points per game on high efficiency, he scored over 20 points in 12 of his final 15 games as a Sun.
I said as much. Couldn't remember his average but I knew it was at least 20 PPG. Thanks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He stepped up but I have seen players do that before during injuries. That doesn't always translate into "next star". I think it would have been more obvious had the team been healthy and Bridges was dominating night in and night out.

Mikal didn't have to dominate with Paul, Booker, Ayton and Cam Johnson on the team.

What I look at is his skills had advance from season to season. Getting into the lane and scoring had become almost second nature to him compared to even a season ago. He was a player on his way up, not a payer who had plateaued. Mikal was only 26 who had never missed a game because of injury. He should never had been included in a trade even more so with all the assets the Suns gave up with him.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Who was going to take Mikal's role then? You're trying to plug one hole by creating another. Mikal's gone and we still havent found anyone to fill that role he played. KD didn't play it when he did play.

Yes Booker's role is more vital to the team but it was easier to fill that with the depth, or try fill it, than it has been to fill the role at SF, which has been proven to be a bigger role for the teams overall defense than I believe some thought prior to Mikal's departure. Mikal and others picked up the scoring slack. You're ignoring how Mikal's ascension started here before the trade.
There was nothing stopping Mikal from defending any number of positions while he took on a more dynamic offensive role here. He's doing this in Brooklyn.

I do not buy that he was ascending here, but was not yet capable of what he achieved merely 3 games into his Brooklyn career. What I buy is that he was not being utilized to the extent of his capabilities here.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mikal didn't have to dominate with Paul, Booker, Ayton and Cam Johnson on the team.

What I look at is his skills had advance from season to season. Getting into the lane and scoring had become almost second nature to him compared to even a season ago. He was a player on his way up, not a payer who had plateaued. Mikal was only 26 who had never missed a game because of injury. He should never had been included in a trade even more so with all the assets the Suns gave up with him.
I would have loved to hang on to him. JJ indicated he tried to make other moves to keep him. I think it's safe to say nobody wanted that to happen. If it results in a title? That simply isn't true.

I guess we shall see.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

I definitely don't remember the "high efficiency" part.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was nothing stopping Mikal from defending any number of positions while he took on a more dynamic offensive role here. He's doing this in Brooklyn.

I do not buy that he was ascending here, but was not yet capable of what he achieved merely 3 games into his Brooklyn career. What I buy is that he was not being utilized to the extent of his capabilities here.

Then you didn't watch him play in the month before he was traded. Because he had a career high 3 games into his tenure in Brooklyn says very little. Why doesn't Booker score 70 every night? I guess Monty isn't utilizing him as well as Jay Triano did.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I definitely don't remember the "high efficiency" part.

23 points on shooting stats of 47% from the field, 40% from 3, 89% from the line, 4 assists against only 1.5 turnovers. That is pretty high efficiency. His free throw attempts this season had also seen a huge jump prior to the trade.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Then you didn't watch him play in the month before he was traded. Because he had a career high 3 games into his tenure in Brooklyn says very little. Why doesn't Booker score 70 every night? I guess Monty isn't utilizing him as well as Jay Triano did.
I'm going to conclude my argument that we underutilized Mikal with this.

In Mikal's entire career with the Suns, 400 games, he scored at least 30 points three times. In 56 games with the Suns this season, he scored at least 30 points once. None in the 20 games leading up to the trade. In the 20 games he's played in Brooklyn, he's scored at least 30 points nine times. He's scored at least 40 points twice, something he never did while playing in Phoenix.

-Edited to include playoffs.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
23 points on shooting stats of 47% from the field, 40% from 3, 89% from the line, 4 assists against only 1.5 turnovers. That is pretty high efficiency. His free throw attempts this season had also seen a huge jump prior to the trade.
I agree, those are really good numbers. He did that over the last 20 games? Impressive.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He was playing SG here when Book was out but when you've seen Booker alls these years. Mikal pales in his place. Booker is playing his best Basketball of his life right now. Sure happy for Mikal but I'm really excited about the playoffs and Booker. I was one of the fans that said Mikal is the next Kawhi and I'm over the trade, let it be............

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'm going to conclude my argument that we underutilized Mikal with this.

In Mikal's entire career with the Suns, 400 games, he scored at least 30 points three times. In 56 games with the Suns this season, he scored at least 30 points once. None in the 20 games leading up to the trade. In the 20 games he's played in Brooklyn, he's scored at least 30 points nine times. He's scored at least 40 points twice, something he never did while playing in Phoenix.

-Edited to include playoffs.

See, I disagree. The only one who underutilized Mikal was Mikal. Sometimes the switch just flips for someone, and it appears it flipped for Mikal. I don't buy the argument that someone was holding him back.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
See, I disagree. The only one who underutilized Mikal was Mikal. Sometimes the switch just flips for someone, and it appears it flipped for Mikal. I don't buy the argument that someone was holding him back.
Ok, twist my arm.

So now that he's in a new situation, the switch has flipped and he's suddenly able to bring the ball upcourt, initiate the offense, and attack the defense at all three levels in ways we never saw here? Monty knew he could do this and tried to implement it, but Mikal's switch hadn't flipped yet, so Mikal declined? Or Monty didn't know he could do this and didn't try to implement it, because Mikal never showed an ability to do these things in practice, but suddenly in Brooklyn, Mikal's switch has flipped, and he has shown the ability and willingness to do these things? This isn't making a lot of sense to me.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Ok, twist my arm.

So now that he's in a new situation, the switch has flipped and he's suddenly able to bring the ball upcourt, initiate the offense, and attack the defense at all three levels in ways we never saw here? Monty knew he could do this and tried to implement it, but Mikal's switch hadn't flipped yet, so Mikal declined? Or Monty didn't know he could do this and didn't try to implement it, because Mikal never showed an ability to do these things in practice, but suddenly in Brooklyn, Mikal's switch has flipped, and he has shown the ability and willingness to do these things? This isn't making a lot of sense to me.

I think it was all mental for Bridges. He got traded to a pretty bad team, suddenly has no pressure on him, doesn't have better players around him, and he decided to try some new things consistently. He had flashes of all of these things, but he could never do it consistently. I just don't think that Monty wouldn't let him dribble or create his own shot. He just started doing it in Brooklyn since he has no pressure, and no better players around him. I see the same potential with Ayton- He could turn into a monster if he'd just flip that switch. He has the ability, but he is just not doing it consistently.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think it was all mental for Bridges. He got traded to a pretty bad team, suddenly has no pressure on him, doesn't have better players around him, and he decided to try some new things consistently. He had flashes of all of these things, but he could never do it consistently. I just don't think that Monty wouldn't let him dribble or create his own shot. He just started doing it in Brooklyn since he has no pressure, and no better players around him. I see the same potential with Ayton- He could turn into a monster if he'd just flip that switch. He has the ability, but he is just not doing it consistently.
Ok. I would disagree that he has shown flashes of everything he's showing in Brooklyn. I cannot recall ever seeing him do some of the things he is doing now. I would disagree that he was inconsistent while he was here. He was pretty consistent in everything he did. I cannot definitively rule confidence issues out, so you may be right. Agree to disagree.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. I would disagree that he has shown flashes of everything he's showing in Brooklyn. I cannot recall ever seeing him do some of the things he is doing now. I would disagree that he was inconsistent while he was here. He was pretty consistent in everything he did. I cannot definitively rule confidence issues out, so you may be right. Agree to disagree.
He scored 24 points against Min, 28 against the Nets, 24 against Mem, 25 against SA, 29 against Toronto, 25 against Boston, 24 against Detroit with other 20 something point games in between.

I am not sure what you were watching. There were flash signs everywhere. The fact he could push it further with a team more devoid of talent isn't shocking when looking at how he was playing just before the trade.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He scored 24 points against Min, 28 against the Nets, 24 against Mem, 25 against SA, 29 against Toronto, 25 against Boston, 24 against Detroit with other 20 something point games in between.

I am not sure what you were watching. There were flash signs everywhere. The fact he could push it further with a team more devoid of talent isn't shocking when looking at how he was playing just before the trade.
You didn't seem to know earlier today that Mikal has largely been attacking the mid range in Brooklyn. How can you comment on what he is showing on the court there?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

All nice stats but not once did he hit a completely arbitrary number like 30, now he did he? Why was Monty depriving him of that extra FG attempt to get there?

In all seriousness if you look at the discrepancy in FT attempts between Mikal's time here and Brooklyn, that makes up the scoring difference that pushes him over 30 on a more consistent basis. He's getting to the line more as the #1 option and also since he's no longer in a Suns uniform.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
All nice stats but not once did he hit a completely arbitrary number like 30, now he did he? Why was Monty depriving him of that extra FG attempt to get there?

In all seriousness if you look at the discrepancy in FT attempts between Mikal's time here and Brooklyn, that makes up the scoring difference that pushes him over 30 on a more consistent basis. He's getting to the line more as the #1 option and also since he's no longer in a Suns uniform.
Hoop Head, this post is petty.

Brooklyn vs here, Mikal is averaging 18.2 vs 13.6 fga/g. He is averaging 6.6 vs 4.7 3pa/g, and yes, he is averaging 6.1 vs 2.8 fta/g.

But what's really remarkable are the moves he is employing to get these shots off and the efficiency with which he is making them.

To imply the only difference between his scoring in Phoenix and his scoring in Brooklyn are the freethrows is dishonest.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didn't seem to know earlier today that Mikal has largely been attacking the mid range in Brooklyn. How can you comment on what he is showing on the court there?
No that was an assumption you made all on your own. I have watched multiple Net games since he was traded and made it a point to watch the highlights on the ones I have not seen to keep tabs. I have yet to comment on his shot chart. LOL.

Plus, now you are moving the goal post. You said he showed no flashes. Unless you are completely blind and didn't watch the Suns games he played, it's ridiculous to make such an assertion. Second, I also commented as did others why we are seeing another step up since leaving here. You are just choosing to ignore it.

Evidently, you are the only one that doesn't seem to know how Mikal had been playing prior to the trade.

Last edited:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s shooting a lot more with little to no pressure it’s not that hard to understand. More attempts low to no pressure situation where he can just fire away, and yet they are still losing more than winning so not sure what all the fuss is about. Of course we all would still like to have him, but Durant makes us a contender Mikal does and did not step up I. The playoffs or when there was pressure. I hope he is a new player but until he does it in the crunch and results in wins not empty stats it’s all just numbers…

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He’s shooting a lot more with little to no pressure it’s not that hard to understand. More attempts low to no pressure situation where he can just fire away, and yet they are still losing more than winning so not sure what all the fuss is about. Of course we all would still like to have him, but Durant makes us a contender Mikal does and did not step up I. The playoffs or when there was pressure. I hope he is a new player but until he does it in the crunch and results in wins not empty stats it’s all just numbers…
My original point today was that it's now apparent he was underutilized here. He's scoring on elite efficiency so I would argue these are not empty stats.

Did he really have more pressure on him in the middle of our hospital unit run when nobody expected him to be the number one, as opposed to now when everyone expects him to be the number one?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. There is a ton more pressure to hold the fort down for a team that has title aspirations then a team absolutely going nowhere. It's not even close. Not to mention that on top of his normal defensive duties he was being asked to become a main scorer for the first time in his career verses just being a complimentary player cleaning up and spot up shooting.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No that was an assumption you made all on your own. I have watched multiple Net games since he was traded and made it a point to watch the highlights on the ones I have not seen to keep tabs. I have yet to comment on his shot chart. LOL.

Plus, now you are moving the goal post. You said he showed no flashes. Unless you are completely blind and didn't watch the Suns games he played, it's ridiculous to make such an assertion. Second, I also commented as did others why we are seeing another step up since leaving here. You are just choosing to ignore it.

Evidently, you are the only one that doesn't seem to know how Mikal had been playing prior to the trade.
These two statements are not the same.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These two statements are not the same.
Let's see......

"I would disagree that he has shown flashes of everything he's showing in Brooklyn". I said "You said he showed no flashes".

Within one degree of each other. The gist is the same but sure I will play your semantics games.

It still means that MOST of what he has shown, you didn't see previously. That still means you evidently didn't watch anything he was doing prior to being traded and beyond a ludicrous observation.

Point stands.