Watching Hard Knocks Live

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah, this was a complete waste of time. The only decent moment was the whole "Baker put his body on the line and played through injury, and that's what you do" moment, followed immediately by Kyler's mug on the intro segment. Nice dig there. Otherwise this show was just a complete waste of time. All the posters who said this would in no way touch on what this team actually is are 100 percent right.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I honestly like Kliff more after this series, dislike just about everyone else more than before.

Cupcake episode again.
Me too. As much as I despised the hiring, I find myself liking him more.

Murray, otoh, I didn't think it was possible to like him less, but he's an aloof bitchy little ass. How they could give him that contract is beyond me.

Agree with most though that the show is a waste of time. It's painfully bad with no substance at all.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Will new episode of Hard Knocks address Eno Benjamin or Sean Kugler?

We’ll start with the surprise release of running back Eno Benjamin. On Thursday, Bo Brack of the PHNX Arizona Cardinals podcast sent out an email blast declaring that “NFL Films and HBO Hard Knocks director Terrell Riley tells PHNX Cardinals the interaction that led to running back Eno Benjamin’s release for the Arizona Cardinals was ‘shocking’ and will be on next week’s episode.”

Since then, Bob McManaman of the Arizona Republic reported that there will be no scenes in this week’s episode regarding the cutting of Eno Benjamin. Director Steve Trout told McManaman that “it wasn’t because of anyone [censoring] a scene or scenes.”

“‘We simply did not capture anything,” Trout told McManaman. “‘Some things do happen away from the cameras and that was the case here.'”

Trout also characterized Riley’s remark as something that was “spun into an expectation that we would be showing something that does not exist.”

“Mistakes happen,” Trout told McManaman. “That was an innocent one.”

Innocent or not, the fact remains that the Hard Knocks series isn’t a true documentary. It’s an informercial. The NFL owns the company that produces the show about an NFL team.

It’s been known for years that the team that is the subject of the show has final say over what’s included in the broadcast. If the Cardinals don’t want to get into the details of the Eno Benjamin situation, those details will remain concealed.

Ditto for the events resulting in the termination of offensive line coach/run game coordinator Sean Kugler. The email circulated by HBO regarding tonight’s debut of the latest episode highlights only this quote from quarterback Colt McCoy: “It’s been crazy . . . getting to play in Mexico.”

In other words, forget about getting the real story regarding Benjamin or Kugler.

Surely, the cameras were in position to capture something about Kugler. He was fired and sent home on Monday morning, the day of the game in Mexico City. It surely was a big deal for the team.

It also was a hot potato, and an embarrassment. Too hot and too embarrassing for the Cardinals to allow any mention of it in the Chamber of Commerce brochure masquerading as an authentic look at the trials and tribulations of a team that is woefully underperforming and dealing with plenty of issues that would be very compelling, if they didn’t end up on the cutting-room floor.

Narrator (literally): They ended up on the cutting-room floor.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see the point of Hard Knocks if they are going to cut out everything interesting.

The only thing I got out of this weeks episode is that it's hard not to really like Colt McCoy. Anyone watching this would think McCoy was the star of the team. It will be interesting to see if Kyler gets similar play when he's back as so far in 3 episodes his had about a minute of screen time.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I don't see the point of Hard Knocks if they are going to cut out everything interesting.

The only thing I got out of this weeks episode is that it's hard not to really like Colt McCoy. Anyone watching this would think McCoy was the star of the team. It will be interesting to see if Kyler gets similar play when he's back as so far in 3 episodes his had about a minute of screen time.
Agree. This week’s episode was simple regurgitation of the news we’d already heard all week sprinkled with some sideline discourse.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
There’s something to be said for watching a team deal with and fight through disaster, but it doesn’t seem like anyone wants to talk about that.

There’s a Ted Lasso episode where the players ask what happens here with bad teams (because we don’t have relegation) and Ted says we just kind of play out the string.

There is a story like, “How do you keep putting your body on the line for nothing every week?” But they can’t or won’t tell that.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Had to love the beginning of the episode where Kingsbury says to win they need to avoid losing plays. Then he starts the game with a deep handoff supposed to go around end but there’s not even enough blockers for it to possibly work. Not sure if McCoy is allowed to audible out of scripted plays. Really a dumb play to start. Sad coaching and play design.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good to see that they’re being proactive in giving the opposing team credit BEFORE they even play them instead of waiting until after they lose. That’s genius coaching.

“listen men, George Kittle is your daddy, Deebo is God, and their defense will steal your souls. Now let’s get out there and compete!”

This coaching staff acts like they’re the freaking Hoosiers and someone needs to measure the football field.

And stop making Budda sound like he’s extraordinary because he played through an injury. THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO AND WHY YOU MAKE MILLIONS!

Vance - “he didn’t have to play”. WAY TO LOWER THE BAR FOR THE TEAM!!!

This team pisses me off to no end.
GREAT post! This is what disgusts me the most about KK/VJ. I am so sick of listening to these 2 idiots telling us how great our opposition is, how well the opposition has executed, and how good the other team’s coaches coached that day. Do any of the best coaches in the NFL speak this language? HELL NO! Exactly why we need an experienced HC like Payton/Harbaugh.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Had to love the beginning of the episode where Kingsbury says to win they need to avoid losing plays. Then he starts the game with a deep handoff supposed to go around end but there’s not even enough blockers for it to possibly work. Not sure if McCoy is allowed to audible out of scripted plays. Really a dumb play to start. Sad coaching and play design.
Agree with this. And yet, why do we have posters that care whether we like KK more or less after watching Hard Knocks?? I watch how this team performs & that‘s all I need to know. When a HC has like 10 straight seasons at both the college & pro levels of his teams fading HARD down the stretch, what more can be said? When a coach is unable to make adjustments, players stop believing, and then players stop listening. And then it’s over. Players today know that their time to be great has a timeframe to it. They also know when their coaches are incapable of getting them where they want to go. It’s obvious this team has quit believing in KK. So, it’s time to move on from him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He had five straight first down plays that went for negative yardage to begin the game! He literally scripted losing plays. I don’t know how much anyone needs to know to figure out how big a problem kliff is as coach and play caller but if this wasn’t enough, nothing will be.

urs

All Star
Reaction score
He had five straight first down plays that went for negative yardage to begin the game! He literally scripted losing plays. I don’t know how much anyone needs to know to figure out how big a problem kliff is as coach and play caller but if this wasn’t enough, nothing will be.
Don't jump to conclusions so fast, we haven't even gotten the All 22 breakdown yet, from Britcard to show us how those were really winning plays

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
New episode. Slight new footage of Kugler (I think), but the same passing comment.

Kliff's press conference now.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Props to Heiden for his approach here. This is maybe the best insight into the staff I've seen so far, even a few minutes in.

Looks like we'll actually get some Kyler commentary.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose