Washington vs Arizona State

HooverDam

Reaction score
To be honest guys, ASU might not make the top 10 this week. Only 3 teams ahead of them lost, LSU, Cal and Mizzou. Cal and LSU probably won't drop too far either since their games were close. Especially LSU, since they lost to a ranked team. ASU was currently 14, can they move up 4 spots? I hope so, but there's a chance they won't.

I think going into the Cal game they'll definitely be in the top 10 though, since another week passing means that teams ranked near them/ahead of them will probably lose or look poor.

SunDevilDon

Registered
Reaction score
To be honest guys, ASU might not make the top 10 this week. Only 3 teams ahead of them lost, LSU, Cal and Mizzou. Cal and LSU probably won't drop too far either since their games were close. Especially LSU, since they lost to a ranked team. ASU was currently 14, can they move up 4 spots? I hope so, but there's a chance they won't.

I think going into the Cal game they'll definitely be in the top 10 though, since another week passing means that teams ranked near them/ahead of them will probably lose or look poor.

I look for Kentucky to jump ahead of them after knocking off # 1. If you look at who we've beat though, it's pretty impressive. Colorado beat #4, OSU beat #2, Stanford beat #2. SDJS almost beat a high ranked Hawaii team and we blew them out!!!

I look for us to be 11 or 12 this week and possibly #9 or 10 (or higher) going into Cal!!!

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Very good crowd on hand close to 60,000. There was a rally outside SDS rooting for Ron Paul.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Very good crowd on hand close to 60,000. There was a rally outside SDS rooting for Ron Paul.
Oh so that's why DBacks didn't sell out...people were just saving their money for the ASU game. :-/

So proud of this team. Kudos to Erickson for making adjustments and coming out of the half strong, not like Koetter's teams who choked everything away. This has been a very convenient schedule for us. Besides the home games, we have seven practice games before the real season starts and during that time we have been able to improve on the penalties, special teams, secondary and now the o-line. Good job Pollack! And now we get an extra week to prepare for Cal and with Erickson I'm feeling confident. I think we may win that one, lose at Oregon and then come home in a big game vs. USC. I'll be there and if we can win that one....Rose Bowl baby. :)

But of course, it could easily be a 8-4 season. We'll see.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This was a game for a half but ASU and Rudy Carpenter just have too many weapons (McGaha, Burgess, Nance, Herring, Torrain, Williams, M. Jones, Taylor) and the O line is just phenomonal. What impresses me the most is the D. Before tonight we were 1st in the conference in scoring defense at 14ppg last year we were 7th. That has been the difference from last year to this year.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This was a game for a half but ASU and Rudy Carpenter just have too many weapons (McGaha, Burgess, Nance, Herring, Torrain, Williams, M. Jones, Taylor) and the O line is just phenomonal. What impresses me the most is the D. Before tonight we were 1st in the conference in scoring defense at 14ppg last year we were 7th. That has been the difference from last year to this year.

Plus I don't remember ASU ever having this solid of a running attack.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus I don't remember ASU ever having this solid of a running attack.

It's been 10 years, but yeah, it's nice to have.

Craig Bray gets a big thumbs up, IMO. He's done a great job hiding weakness while featuring strengths to crank up the performance of this defense. ASU's much better against the run than they have been, and I'm not sure this line is as talented as they've performed as a unit. It's come at the expense of some sacks and some pressure, but they maintain their gaps and generally contain the pocket. The corners are better, but that does have something to do with the infusion of talent. Bolden is just much more gifted opposite Tryon than we've had at that position in awhile. Tryon may be the best cover corner we've had since Craig Newsome. Not as physical, but physical enough. The safeties had a very good game, which was nice, because the defensive coaching staff almost scalped them in the WSU game. Barrett played much better.

The linebackers continue to be solid. For the life of me I don't know how Travis Goethel continues to make plays, but he does, and isn't a weak link next to better athletes in James and Wooten. That flag on the helmet-to-helmet hit was BOGUS, in my opinion. If Locker had the No. 9 on his jersey the flag stays in the ref's pocket.

Anyway, Bray continues to mix up the schemes. We saw some nickel package last week which I haven't seen all year. We saw a lot of mixed blitzes tonight. In the second half Locker had the deer-in-the-headlights look. He was definitely looking at something different than he saw in the first half ... namely Dexter Davis started getting in his face from the first series on, and the game was really over when they dropped him back-to-back. Nice adjustments there.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
It's been 10 years, but yeah, it's nice to have.

Craig Bray gets a big thumbs up, IMO. He's done a great job hiding weakness while featuring strengths to crank up the performance of this defense. ASU's much better against the run than they have been, and I'm not sure this line is as talented as they've performed as a unit. It's come at the expense of some sacks and some pressure, but they maintain their gaps and generally contain the pocket. The corners are better, but that does have something to do with the infusion of talent. Bolden is just much more gifted opposite Tryon than we've had at that position in awhile. Tryon may be the best cover corner we've had since Craig Newsome. Not as physical, but physical enough. The safeties had a very good game, which was nice, because the defensive coaching staff almost scalped them in the WSU game. Barrett played much better.

The linebackers continue to be solid. For the life of me I don't know how Travis Goethel continues to make plays, but he does, and isn't a weak link next to better athletes in James and Wooten. That flag on the helmet-to-helmet hit was BOGUS, in my opinion. If Locker had the No. 9 on his jersey the flag stays in the ref's pocket.

Anyway, Bray continues to mix up the schemes. We saw some nickel package last week which I haven't seen all year. We saw a lot of mixed blitzes tonight. In the second half Locker had the deer-in-the-headlights look. He was definitely looking at something different than he saw in the first half ... namely Dexter Davis started getting in his face from the first series on, and the game was really over when they dropped him back-to-back. Nice adjustments there.

The adjustments really tell the difference between Erickson and Koetter. This staff is getting it done.

Omar Bolden and Justin Tryon are fun to watch.

Rudy Burgess once again looks like "Reggie Bush-Lite" out there.

That was a petty good Washington team. Jake Locker is going to be a handful for the next 3 years.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The running game was awesome, the team was more disciplined and the defense made a ton of plays in the second half. I was very impressed.

Carpenter was very good tonight as well, he gets unfair criticism every week but he put up good numbers again, a good completion % and more TDs than INTs. Of course he does that pretty much every week so it shouldn't come as a shock now.

Zeno, I agree about Rudy. He's good. He's tough and he's a gamer. He'll likely finish as ASU's top all-time QB in wins and winning percentage.

ASU isn't quite national championship caliber yet, so when we do eventually lose again this year, it will all be blamed on Rudy Carpenter again. Bank on it.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is not Dirk Koetter performing miracles as Jville's offensive coordinator? His problems here had more to do with having a crappy defense, I think.

Dirk just may be one of those guys who is a superior offensive coach but not a good enough manager of people to be a successful head coach.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is not Dirk Koetter performing miracles as Jville's offensive coordinator? His problems here had more to do with having a crappy defense, I think.

Dirk just may be one of those guys who is a superior offensive coach but not a good enough manager of people to be a successful head coach.

I've always believed this. No doubt Dirk is a great offensive mind. Just could never understand why he felt compelled to stick with 7-step drops and deep routes against USC's disciplined Cover 2 defense. You would figure after Year 3 of getting trounced in the second half he might adjust.

The guy has a stubborn streak that precedes his stellar rational faculties.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard