Was Kyler benched?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He played 2 quarters on it. Including several runs and practiced twice on it last week. It's minor.
Obviously relatively minor otherwise there wouldn’t have been a chance he would’ve played last week. But Jammie’s are like the trickiest things to judge. Doesn’t take much movement to turn a minor hammy into six weeks missed. Also tends to be easier to play immediately on it than after a day or two because the muscle is still warm. And practice? Lol. A hammy can easily managed be managed in practice for a QB wearing a “do not touch” penny.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I blew out an ankle playing basketball once and played for another 30 minutes. 2 days later the doctor told me I would have been better off breaking the ankle than the high ankle sprain I had. We get hurt you rest a few minutes adrenaline kicks in and you play again. The next day you struggle to walk.

Nobody is questioning that Colt played well but to suggest that we CHOSE to have Trace McSorley as our backup over Kyler because Kyler was benched is nonsense IMO.
Exact same thing happened to me playing basketball. Went up for a rebound and squarely landed on top of someone else's foot. I was in crutches for 4 months.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exact same thing happened to me playing basketball. Went up for a rebound and squarely landed on top of someone else's foot. I was in crutches for 4 months.

yep and to be clear ankles are a little different than a hammy but anybody who's ever hurt an ankle knows you tie the laces tighter and you can play but if you take the shoe off the ankle will blow up and you won't be able to play. But the next day you're going to have a bum ankle

Mainly my point is if Kyler weren't actually hurt he would have been the backup QB, there's no way we would have chosen to have McSorley as the backup over him if he could go.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mainly my point is if Kyler weren't actually hurt he would have been the backup QB, there's no way we would have chosen to have McSorley as the backup over him if he could go.

Hmmm serious question what about Kyler and his history makes you think this to be the case?

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved Kyler. Even the way he(we) ended the season. My disdain started when he scrubbed his media accounts, the banter about his contract and his agent. His attitude has rubbed a lot of fans the wrong way.
The day he signed that contract I said I hoped he has grown some thick skin. Along with the huge contract comes huge scrutiny. He has not lived up to the contract he signed and fans are not going to be kind. There have been a plethora of excuses on just why but the bottom line is he is playing like a bottom 10 Qb. He has digressed. Fans are not going to feel sorry for him.
As a fan , I want to win. I really could care less who our Qb is if we get the W.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya, you know what you’re right. Let’s give up and make the unprecedent move to bench our 25 year old QB who has every physical tool in the tool box and we just invested $240mm in for Colt I just beat John Wolford and am 11-23 as a starter McCoy.

It’s time to do what’s best for the franchise, I agree Brit. You’ve officially made me see the light, thank you.
He doesn’t have every physical tool in the box. His lack of actual physical size limits how much he runs and impact his passing because he’s so skittish in the pocket, which affects his ability to stand tall and deliver a moment away from taking a hit.

I didn’t think his size would be such an issue when we drafted him, but that’s because I didn’t realize how cautious he’d be because of possible injuries, in a way that I’ve never seen from other small QBs, like Brees, Wilson and even a guy Flutie back in the day.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He doesn’t have every physical tool in the box. His lack of actual physical size limits how much he runs and impact his passing because he’s so skittish in the pocket, which affects his ability to stand tall and deliver a moment away from taking a hit.

I didn’t think his size would be such an issue when we drafted him, but that’s because I didn’t realize how cautious he’d be because of possible injuries, in a way that I’ve never seen from other small QBs, like Brees, Wilson and even a guy Flutie back in the day.
You’re right, our offensive scheme and Oline has nothing to do with that. Wilson was not schemed differently bc of his height and is known for stepping up in the pocket and taking the big hit.

Brees is a different animal..would never put Kyler in the same stratosphere as Brees QB intellect was off the charts, but he too didn’t take big hits. He got rid of the ball. Also, don’t think people viewed Brees as “small”, but just not Peyton and Brady stature.

Don’t think we can compare Flutie as his NFL career was rather limited and the late 80’s and 90’s was quite a different game than today.. he did move around quite a bit though and was pretty consistently throwing on the run. Making him very different in that era, mobile QBs were rather rare.

Mark22

VBhoopcoach
Reaction score
That’s because no one was pounding the table saying Max Hall was good, and no one was pounding the table saying Carson Palmer sucked. If people would just accept Kyler for what he was, 50% of the conversations surrounding him would cease. What you’re seeing is fanboys blindly defending Murray, causing endless back and forth.
Good points. I’m no fanboy. His inconsistent play this year has been disappointing but I will never resort to the adolescent name calling that goes on here. Midget, Dwarf, etc. Twisting quotes to fit a hater narrative, regurgitating media takes that are misinformed and some outright lies. If he’s playing below the expectations (and he is) that’s fair. But the constant character bashing, name calling, and presenting opinions as facts is truly tiresome. I continue to read posts here because there are a handful of very knowledgeable football guys that I respect. Rant over.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I know we can’t believe everything we read but there was a story on Facebook that suggested Kyler was benched more based on performance rather than the hamstring issue.
Of course we will probably never find out if this is/was true because this organization and head coach wouldn’t dare do anything to hurt Kyler’s feelings.
I would up my respect for this staff if indeed Kyler was told to sit and watch a game.
I’m sure Kyler had a hammy issue but was it enough of an issue to not be able to play? Was this staff worried that the Rams would put too much pressure on him and put further strain on his hammy?
Maybe Harry can do a little digging on this rumor.
No. For those who think so, you would have to be a hypocrite since one of the flaws that those who might think so also believe he has a character problem... sure was not pouting on the sidelines

Reaction score
He played 2 quarters on it. Including several runs and practiced twice on it last week. It's minor.
Minor that could easily become major & bother him the rest of the year. Sitting him was the smart play whether you like it or not. I for one would rather he miss one game vs multiple. If he aggravates it trying to play on it before he's fully healed he would be out much longer.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Good points. I’m no fanboy. His inconsistent play this year has been disappointing but I will never resort to the adolescent name calling that goes on here. Midget, Dwarf, etc. Twisting quotes to fit a hater narrative, regurgitating media takes that are misinformed and some outright lies. If he’s playing below the expectations (and he is) that’s fair. But the constant character bashing, name calling, and presenting opinions as facts is truly tiresome. I continue to read posts here because there are a handful of very knowledgeable football guys that I respect. Rant over.

Hear Hear! Nice post.

I could be wrong, but I think its possible that K1 needs to do some soul searching and understand that people at the NFL-level are not going to follow him just because he's talented.

I've always thought just being even an average leader is not an easy thing. It takes sacrifice, humility and effort, and I'm not sure Murray is doing enough on this front. I really hope I'm wrong and that he actually is.

I love Murray to death, and I want everybody else to feel the same. But he's got to understand that he now lives in a fishbowl where every action is scrutinized, plus he has teammates that are making about 1% of what he's making. Also, the average fan makes about .0001% of what he's making! It doesn't take much to start to dislike someone in that position. Jealously is tough to over come.

There's seems to be so much negative energy around him right now, and he's the only one that's going to be able to change that. Nobody else is going to do it for him!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm serious question what about Kyler and his history makes you think this to be the case?

I mean what's the alternative, that they believe McSorley is better than a healthy Kyler as a backup? Or that Kyler refuses to be the backup yet stood on the sideline during the game?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean what's the alternative, that they believe McSorley is better than a healthy Kyler as a backup? Or that Kyler refuses to be the backup yet stood on the sideline during the game?

That’s exactly the alternative. And whose they? The inevitable decision rides with Kyler he’s the one that tells them how he “feels”

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Dude. Go back into those threads and you'll find that LOTS of people were saying that Max Hall was good.

Name three people on this board who are literally rooting for Kyler Murray to fail. My name shouldn't be on that list.

You can recognize a player's shortcomings (LOL) and still hope they improve upon them.
Yeah he beat Brees and the SB champs but he was not good.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Go back and read all of the doomsday posts and comments, when Hudson was ruled out...Everyone talking about Donald licking his chops...This was going to be a "get right" game for LA, etc, etc, etc. There was zero evidence that the Oline would perform well, based on the last few weeks. Even if it was just the slightest hamstring issue, the team wasn't going to risk their $250 million investment to further injury. Hindsight being 20/20, it's easy to say he should have played, but again, there was no evidence the Oline would hold up. Also, it's not necessarily about designed runs, but Murray being able to escape the rush up the middle, when the pocket collapses (which everyone expected to happen all game long).
Get right game went out the door with Stafford out, the Rams got their ring last year and will probably take a mulligan this year due to injury etc... Fact though is the offense was far more efficient w/o the wimpy Murray running scared

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score

Kyler is not nearly as fast as portrayed, he is quick but his little strides limit is actual straight line speeds. He ALWAYS gets caught. LBs have run him down from behind and DL have kept him from turning the corner on those pathetic QB sweeps because Dingleburry loves calling lateral plays along the LOS because he thinks he is playing against college teams

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I blew out an ankle playing basketball once and played for another 30 minutes. 2 days later the doctor told me I would have been better off breaking the ankle than the high ankle sprain I had. We get hurt you rest a few minutes adrenaline kicks in and you play again. The next day you struggle to walk.

Nobody is questioning that Colt played well but to suggest that we CHOSE to have Trace McSorley as our backup over Kyler because Kyler was benched is nonsense IMO.

Did you have a team of medical professionals to look you over at half time and send you back out also?

There's no way Kyler would accept being visibly benched and made to hold a clip board and I'm not sure the organisation would want that at this stage either with the whole media deal and damage to Kyler's reputation and future trade value.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

And there's no excuse for it because height has no bearing at all on your ability to take hits. That's all down to weight and muscle mass of which he has plenty.

There must be 30 running backs in the league as small as Kyler.

Miles Sanders is 5-11 and 211lbs. Nobody says Miles Sanders can only run certain plays so he doesn't get hurt. Dudes running into 300lb guys all game.

Eno is lighter than Kyler. CMC is 5-11 205lbs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you have a team of medical professionals to look you over at half time and send you back out also?

There's no way Kyler would accept being visibly benched and made to hold a clip board and I'm not sure the organisation would want that at this stage either with the whole media deal and damage to Kyler's reputation and future trade value.

You need to explain what you think actually happened because frankly I can't tell from your posts.

If a team of medical professionals looked over Kyler at halftime then clearly they believed he'd gotten hurt. So the idea that he's not actually hurt but benched is nonsense.

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me, disagreeing with me or both?

what I'm saying is if they they felt he was healthy enough to play but not start he would have been the backup, like with Streveler against the rams. They didn't invent a hamstring as a cover to bench him and have McSorley over him as teh backup

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose