War of the Worlds (Spielberg/Cruise)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well, I just got hired today to be an extra...a 'survivor'. I'll get paid 80 bucks for the day, plus time-and-a-half if we go over 8 hours. Still trying to work the whole Miranda Otto kiss scene into my contract-no luck so far.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
Well, I just got hired today to be an extra...a 'survivor'. I'll get paid 80 bucks for the day, plus time-and-a-half if we go over 8 hours. Still trying to work the whole Miranda Otto kiss scene into my contract-no luck so far.

cool man! congrats.

shawn

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:

Awesome - I guess you will have to change your tagline when talking about this film.

bunnyhatesfoofoo

Down with the Sickness
Reaction score
War of the Worlds trailer

I got to see the teaser trailer for this movie yesterday. Not much to it. Some lights in the sky and an explosion. No sign of Tom Cruise yet but what do you expect from a teaser? Still it looks very good. It probably would have been better if the new Batman Begins trailer wasn't right before it. That movie looks fantastic.

If you wanna watch this preview at the movie's and not online, the trailer is on the second print of Ocean's Twelve so if the theater has more than one copy you should ask the usher which one has it. The first should not.

Brown_Blood

Seven.
Reaction score
War of the Worlds

I don't know if there is already a thread on this or not, but saw the preview during the game....looks great! Spielberg, Cruise... Hard to go wrong there!

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brown_Blood said:
I don't know if there is already a thread on this or not, but saw the preview during the game....looks great! Spielberg, Cruise... Hard to go wrong there!

yep - that's the first trailer that i've seen for it so far - looks really good.

shawn

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
War of the Worlds Sets Added to Studio Tour
Source: Universal Studios Hollywood
February 10, 2005

The original movie sets from Steven Spielberg's highly anticipated film, War of the Worlds, are the latest feature to be added to Universal Studios Hollywood behind-the-scenes Studio Tour, the theme park's signature attraction which immerses guests in the authentic Hollywood experience.

Guests aboard the popular Studio Tour tram ride will traverse a key scene from War of the Worlds, depicting a small town devastated by an elaborately choreographed 747 jetliner crash. The town's facade is dramatically surrounded by wreckage and debris resulting from a Martian attack.

In addition, Studio Tour guests will get up-close views of other movie sets located along the landscape that adjoins the War of the Worlds sets. These include the dinosaur-destroyed research laboratory compound from Jurassic Park: The Lost World, the snow-covered town of Whoville from Dr. Seuss' The Grinch Who Stole Christmas and the Psycho house and Bates motel from the classic thriller, Psycho.

The world-renowned Studio Tour takes guests on a 45-minute journey through Universal's 415-acres of movie making magic. Highlights include a vast array of sets, themed streets, soundstages and facades featured in thousands of motion and television productions as well as signature special effects attractions such as "Earthquake," King Kong," Flash Flood" and "Jaws."

---------------------------------------------------------

Awesome. I always like going to Universal Studios as a kid. It wasn't far from where we lived in Cali. Been back a few times since I've been in Az. Fun place, especially if you're a movie geek. :cool:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
February 10, 2005

The original movie sets from Steven Spielberg's highly anticipated film, War of the Worlds, are the latest feature to be added to Universal Studios Hollywood behind-the-scenes Studio Tour, the theme park's signature attraction which immerses guests in the authentic Hollywood experience.

Guests aboard the popular Studio Tour tram ride will traverse a key scene from War of the Worlds, depicting a small town devastated by an elaborately choreographed 747 jetliner crash. The town's facade is dramatically surrounded by wreckage and debris resulting from a Martian attack.

In addition, Studio Tour guests will get up-close views of other movie sets located along the landscape that adjoins the War of the Worlds sets. These include the dinosaur-destroyed research laboratory compound from Jurassic Park: The Lost World, the snow-covered town of Whoville from Dr. Seuss' The Grinch Who Stole Christmas and the Psycho house and Bates motel from the classic thriller, Psycho.

The world-renowned Studio Tour takes guests on a 45-minute journey through Universal's 415-acres of movie making magic. Highlights include a vast array of sets, themed streets, soundstages and facades featured in thousands of motion and television productions as well as signature special effects attractions such as "Earthquake," King Kong," Flash Flood" and "Jaws."

---------------------------------------------------------

Awesome. I always like going to Universal Studios as a kid. It wasn't far from where we lived in Cali. Been back a few times since I've been in Az. Fun place, especially if you're a movie geek. :cool:

Believe me, it isn't as good anymore. I picked up a season pass (since I live about 5 minutes from it) and after going two or three times in a 2 month period, I couldn't stand it anymore.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Believe me, it isn't as good anymore. I picked up a season pass (since I live about 5 minutes from it) and after going two or three times in a 2 month period, I couldn't stand it anymore.

Well, I'm sure going 2-3 times in 2 months kind of takes away the fun of it...but someone who hasn't been there in awhile might enjoy it...

believe me...

lol

Mike

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Couple of pics I found in their site.
You must be registered for see images

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
Couple of pics I found in their site.

Those poster seem a little bland to me, just red x are kind of boring

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I live like 10 minutes away from Univeral and have been there twice in the past couple of months. It's not all that. They really don't have a whole lot there anymore. They need some new stuff badly.

Although that new Mummy ride is the shiznit. It's fast as hell and goes backwards, but it's really short.

Backdraft is old, Tram ride is old and weak, Back to the Future is old, Waterworld show is old. Van Helsing is weak.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw previews of WOTW.... Jeezy peezy.... this is gonna be great!!!

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Saw it too. Any Cruise movie is quality. He's the biggest star or all the stars. Give him 30Mil

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Anyone watch the second teaser trailer on the web site. I saw it on one of those entertainment shows a couple days ago, I think they said its new. Not sure how long its been on their site though. It shows some lightning striking then a bunch of cars getting flipped over. No aliens yet!! I recommend it for anyone that hasn't seen the preview.

I was too drunk to remember the one in the SB, but I do remember liking it. This movie is gonna be great!!!

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Newest poster:

Attachments

• wotw3.jpg
    wotw3.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 133

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I saw it today, it has been some reviews that are funny, so I not spoil anything, lets just say the things they are bashing are parts that Speilberg kept from the original, which I thought was cool, but the critics seem to have not idea, maybe they sould watch the original at some point before writing a review. There was a classic line, but I will put that below so I do not ruin it.

Spoiler below.

Are they terrorist?

No, they are from somewhere else.

Where, like Europe?

Then just a blank star into the sky.

I thought it was funny. I guess you had to be there.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I went and saw War of the Worlds today...it was awful. Terribly slow and it was like they cut out a lot of movie to hurry up and reach the end.

I should have seen Batman Begins for a second time than waste my money on this yawner.

Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
February 10, 2005

The world-renowned Studio Tour takes guests on a 45-minute journey through Universal's 415-acres of movie making magic. Highlights include a vast array of sets, themed streets, soundstages and facades featured in thousands of motion and television productions as well as signature special such as "Earthquake," King Kong," Flash Flood" and "Jaws."

I went to Universal last month and saw the set. It was really awesome. Baggage was everywhere and all the parts of the plane were scattered around. The plane was ripped apart so you can see the insides of the plane. Everytime i see the plane in the trailer I always tell him i been to the crash site.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Zeno said:
I went and saw War of the Worlds today...it was awful. Terribly slow and it was like they cut out a lot of movie to hurry up and reach the end.

I should have seen Batman Begins for a second time than waste my money on this yawner.

The ending was very abrupt. Batman Begins was nothing to write home about either.

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Didn't care for it. Any time Tim Robbins or Dakota Fanning were on screen it was great, but Tom Cruise left alone was awful. He was quite possibly the least convincing blue collar guy from Jersey I've ever seen. Everytime he had a scene with his son I felt like the movie came to a screeching halt. And that ending!?!? Don't get me started (most of the people in my theater were laughing - in a bad way). The voice-over by Morgan Freeman was super-cheesy, too.

Would recommend as a matinee just for the effects/sound design and some action sequences but that's it.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
'War': Mixed Opening, No Records Broken
Thursday, June 30, 2005
By Roger Friedman

Steven Spielberg's "War of the Worlds" had a mixed opening on Wednesday night. What may be the most expensive movie in history — with a reputed cost of $182 million and up — took in $21 million.

That was certainly no record for a film released in any season or for any reason. "Star Wars: The Revenge of the Sith" brought in $50 million when it opened on May 19 of this year. "Spider-Man 2" had a first-day take of $40 million when it opened two years ago.

Just for perspective, "Batman Begins," which cost a lot less than "War of the Worlds," opened with $15 million. It’s currently up to $132 million domestically. The numbers slowed down significantly after the first couple of weeks.

For Paramount, already sitting on a big-money loser with “Sahara,” the next two days will be critical if "War of the Worlds" is going to be a breakthrough hit or just another overpriced write off.

"War of the Worlds" will benefit this weekend from a couple of things. First of all, there isn’t much competition from either "Batman" or "Bewitched." Second, yesterday was the first day of a "six-day weekend" that runs through Monday, July 4. Watch Paramount publicity try to figure out some sort of news peg or "record" that "War" can break between now and then.

But with $40 million gone to Spielberg and Tom Cruise, another $50 million on promotion and probably another $50 million at least just on special effects, "War of the Worlds" has a long way to go before it sees profitability. It may take the whole world to do so.

On Wednesday, another $13 million was racked up in foreign countries. Paramount will be relying on foreign audiences as usual to appreciate the visual greatness of the film while not necessarily caring about a story not in their first languages.

Nevertheless, at home "War of the Worlds" will be watched over the next few days for its per screen average. It’s currently playing on as many screens as Paramount could find: 3,908. By next Friday, if theaters are not full, expect a significant downsizing to a more manageable number.

And what effect has Tom Cruise's crazy publicity campaign had? One thing's for sure: Audiences did not throng to the theaters on Wednesday night based on Cruise, his romance or his religion. They went out of a desire to see a Spielberg spectacle.

The reviews for Cruise’s performance were lukewarm, and his last several releases have not been blockbusters at all. What remains to be seen is whether or not his carpeting of the media with personal agendas had a negative effect on the box office. That should be known by as early as Saturday morning.

Brandon_Webb

Registered
Reaction score
SPOILERS

I didn't read the book and I don't get it much, why did the machines stop working? What was with the blood and vines?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard