Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
War of the Worlds

Spielberg & Cruise Teaming on War of the Worlds
Source: Variety
Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise will bring The War of the Worlds to the big screen, with Cruise expected to star, reports Variety. David Koepp (Secret Window) will rewrite a Josh Friedman first-draft script based on the classic H.G. Wells alien-invasion novel.

Depending on how quickly a script is approved, the sci-fi epic could start filming in late 2005. Cruise and his C/W Productions partner Paula Wagner set up the film at Paramount in May 2002. DreamWorks will come aboard as a partner, now that Spielberg is involved, adds the trade.

Cruise and Wagner will produce, and it is likely Spielberg and DreamWorks Pictures co-heads Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald will be involved in that capacity as well.

"War" became permanently etched in American culture when Orson Welles' Mercury Theater performed the story on radio in 1938 and ignited a nationwide panic when listeners didn't realize it was fiction. H.G. Wells wrote the book in 1898.

Also, while Spielberg's plans for Indiana Jones 4 have stalled, he's now interested in The Rivals, the Robin Swicord-scripted drama centered on 19th-century legit stars Sarah Bernhardt and Eleonora Duse. That film seems likely for a winter start at DreamWorks. And C/W is preparing Mission: Impossible 3 for Paramount, to be helmed by Narc director Joe Carnahan. The third film is expected to go into production this summer, with Cruise to star.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite books...the movie wasn't so great, didn't follow the book obviously, but not sure the movie could really follow the book and still be exciting...

But who knows, sounds like a good team remaking it.

Mike

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spielberg & Cruise Go to War
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Thursday, August 12, 2004

Paramount Pictures is switching its tentpole pictures for next year, says The Hollywood Reporter. Mission: Impossible 3, which has been plagued by director problems, is out, and War of the Worlds, directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Tom Cruise, is in.

The studio said Wednesday that instead of beginning production on "M:I-3" this summer, as had been originally planned, Cruise will instead go directly into Spielberg's modern-day adaptation of the H.G. Wells classic about a Martian invasion of Earth. "War," which has been in development for some time, will begin filming in November for a release sometime next year.

Cruise hasn't abandoned "M:I-3," though. It will now shoot next summer, with J.J. Abrams, creator of the TV series Felicity and Alias, set to make his feature directorial debut.

Spielberg also hit a roadblock with a drama he was readying to shoot about the aftermath of the 1972 Munich Summer Olympics. With that project delayed while it undergoes a rewrite by Tony Kushner, Spielberg's schedule opened up.

David Koepp (Spider-Man, Panic Room) wrote the "War" script. Spielberg and Cruise previously teamed up for blockbuster Minority Report.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
There is nothing new under the Sun. :cool:

I beg to differ...Napoleon Dynamite immediately comes to mind, and there are quite a few more every year that maintain the excellence of the industry and, more importantly, prove that imagination does still exist in movies and that yes, the hacks can actually pump out new footage instead of retread movies.

Bob Chebat

The Silencer!
Reaction score
I have no problem with remakes as long as they are done well. With modern technology where it is, it makes sense to remake these movies to look better than they did in their original formats. I know this is taboo for movie purists, but I see no problem with taking a great script, regardless of how old, and making it modern.

How can you go wrong with Spielberg and Cruise? The only Spielberg movie that was truly crap was AI.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Latest word on this:

I heard they may change the name of the film (maybe they're distancing themselves from the orignal work, since this project is now rumored to be a trilogy).

Tom Cruise may earn up to $360 million doing these 3 films...because he's going to take a percentage of what the films earn rather than a flat salary (ala Jack Nicholson in Batman).

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From The Jersey Journal...

'War' cameras will be rolling next week
Saturday, November 13, 2004
By Ronald Leir
Journal staff writer

Starting next week, downtown Bayonne residents in the shadow of the Bayonne Bridge can expect to see big doings in their neck of the woods.

Paramount Pictures is offering quick cash to folks who live on First Street and Pointview Terrace to move their cars off the block between Tuesday and Friday to make way for film crews who will be starting to shoot scenes for next summer's projected blockbuster flick "War of the Worlds."

The Steven Spielberg movie stars Hollywood hunk Tom Cruise as the main character in the remake of the 1950s film of the same name.

An application for a film permit that the studio filed with City Hall says that area of the city will essentially be shut down to allow Paramount to shoot "a large part of the beginning of the picture" that, among other things, will feature scenes with Cruise inside a "private residential house on Kennedy Boulevard."

Additionally, the permit application says, there will likely be scenes focused on the front and back yards of various homes along First Street and Pointview Terrace where Paramount has taken out small backyard pools to clear those areas for filming.

Studio cameras will also be trained on a replica of Harrington's Exxon Servicenter - built by production crews on the Gene Klumpp Little League Field off First Street - where the movie's central character will steal a car from the station and drive off with his family north on Kennedy Boulevard "to escape an impending disaster," according to the permit narrative.

Initially, sources say, Paramount had planned to blow up the makeshift station but, because of environmental concerns raised by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey - which leases the land to Bayonne - the studio will reportedly, instead, use digital photography to simulate the explosion.

But, at the same time, the permit says studio crews will be operating special effects devices to create "dust and smoke" conditions to suggest the after-effects of an explosion and stunt people and extras will likely be running through back yards, jumping over fences and into the street to simulate panic.

Bayonne police are expected to help secure the area's perimeter during the shooting.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
War of the Worlds Expands Search for Extras
Source: Daily Freedman
November 28, 2004

The Daily Freeman reports that locally filmed scenes for director Steven Spielberg's The War of the Worlds, starring Tom Cruise, will need a more ethnically diverse group of extras than those who turned out for a casting call on November 13.

"We want to make it so they don't just kill white people, they kill everybody," casting director Billy Dowd said during a visit to Athens, New Jersey this week to sort through some 2,000 applications and photographs.

The scene being shot in the Greene County village will depict thousands of people being killed while running to catch a ferry during a Martian invasion. The local filming is scheduled for December 6-9.

"We need more Asian, black and Hispanic extras," he said. "I've called up to Albany to the different organizations - the Chinese community center, and the Japanese cultural association and the international center. We want to make it look like a nice diverse group."

Dowd also is accepting mailed-in submissions from people who want to be extras in the movie. Photographs and phone numbers should be sent to "War of the Worlds" casting, 110 Leroy St., New York, N.Y. 10014.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're Already Here...
Source: Paramount Pictures
December 2, 2004

Paramount Pictures has launched the official website for director Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds, starring Tom Cruise. The site, featuring the tag line "They're Already Here," gives you a first peek at what will likely be the teaser poster for the anticipated adaptation. You can expect more info and content on the site in the coming weeks, and you can register there now for updates.

The film, based on the 1898 H.G. Wells novel, also stars Tim Robbins, Miranda Otto, and Dakota Fanning. It's due in theaters on June 29.

Attachments

• theyrealreadyhere.jpg
    theyrealreadyhere.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 214

Stout

Reaction score
They're filming 20 minutes from my house. As I'm an actor, I'm going to a casting call this Saturday morning for extras/bit parts. Can't wait!

:thumbup:

Edit: I'm shooting for the role of the dashing police officer that saves Miranda Otto and gets a nice lingering kiss in exchange. About 30 seconds of screen time, but oh, what a 30 seconds!!!

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
They're filming 20 minutes from my house. As I'm an actor, I'm going to a casting call this Saturday morning for extras/bit parts. Can't wait!

Edit: I'm shooting for the role of the dashing police officer that saves Miranda Otto and gets a nice lingering kiss in exchange. About 30 seconds of screen time, but oh, what a 30 seconds!!!

Woohoo !!

:cool:

Keep us updated !!

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Yeah, they are filming over in Park Slope..........I read an article yesterday in a Brooklyn paper that people there are pissed about getting their cars towed due to this production.

Stout - any luck in getting that make-out scene???

Stout

Reaction score
Stronso said:
Yeah, they are filming over in Park Slope..........I read an article yesterday in a Brooklyn paper that people there are pissed about getting their cars towed due to this production.

Stout - any luck in getting that make-out scene???

Still in the running! Lol

Actually, they just need survivors and military guys for three or four days. We filled out a form, gave them a picture, told them we'd be available for those days, and that was it. We'll see if any of us get a call.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
War of the Worlds Filming Moves to Athens
Source: WSTM
December 6, 2004

According to WSTM, filming of Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds, starring Tom Cruise, begins today in the Greene County village of Athens, NY.

The news channel says the scene to be shot will feature crowds fleeing a Martian invasion and will include a 168-foot car ferry. Athens was chosen because of its riverfront location.

Last Friday, Cruise and Spielberg were on set in Naugatuck, Connecticut filming scenes for the movie.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
War of the Worlds Teaser Trailer Friday
Source: Paramount Pictures
December 7, 2004

Building on the intense level of interest and enthusiasm across the internet, Paramount Pictures will unveil the highly anticipated teaser trailer for Steven Spielberg's contemporary retelling of H.G. Wells' classic War of the Worlds exclusively on the web Friday morning, December 10, 2004.

The film opens across the globe on June 29, 2005. To view the teaser trailer, visit the film's official website: War of the Worlds.

War of the Worlds, starring international superstar Tom Cruise, is the ultimate sci-fi adventure thriller which reveals the extraordinary battle for the future of humankind through the eyes of one American family fighting to survive it.

The film also stars Dakota Fanning, Miranda Otto, Justin Chatwin and Tim Robbins. Paula Wagner is the executive producer. The film is produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Colin Wilson. Based on the novel by H.G. Wells, the screenplay is by David Koepp.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spielberg Loses 'Extras' While Filming

Dec 8th

WINDSOR, Conn. (AP) -
A crew that was filming scenes for Steven Spielberg's "War of the Worlds," based on H.G. Wells' novel about an invasion from outer space, lost a few extras in the Connecticut River last weekend.

Two adult-size mannequins got free and drifted south down the river during filming on the riverbank in Windsor, said Windsor police Lt. Shannon Haynes.

Despite a search by the movie production's water safety crew, the mannequins weren't recovered, and other police departments along the riverfront were alerted.

"We just wanted them to know that if they got any calls about bodies floating in the river," Haynes said Monday. "But we never heard anything about them being found."

Spielberg and star Tom Cruise shot sequences across the state last week, including several scenes at an old chemical plant in Naugatuck.

--------------------------------------------------

:lmao:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
That site has no link to a trailer...

Mike

Sigh.

I was wondering when someone would ask about that.

F-R-I-D-A-Y as stated in the article. :cool:

:lmao:

BIM

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Spielberg Loses 'Extras' While Filming
"We just wanted them to know that if they got any calls about bodies floating in the river," Haynes said Monday. "But we never heard anything about them being found."

why? is that something that is out of the ordinary?

shawn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard