Waiver Claim Hopefuls

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
QB Greg McElroy---always loved this kid---right place, right time and I think he can deliver big-time. Not the strongest arm in the sandlot, but is very accurate and smart---will get rid of the ball at the right time.

TE D.J. Williams---john h will concur, he was a pass catching stud at Arkansas, is a little short by NFL standards but can be a Dennis Pitta type TE.

TE Daniel Fells---solid player from a superb TE system

C/G Fernando Velasco---very good size, versatile, started all 16 games last year for the now o-line rich Titans.

WR Gerell Robinson---toasted us Thursday night and I think is on the verge of becoming a breakout player. Broncos are loaded at WR.

WR Tavarres King---Georgia deep threat i was hoping the Cardinals would take in the draft. Could make up for losing out on Ryan Swope.

NT Siona Fua---space eating nose guard whose best football days are ahead of him.

DE Drake Nevis---physical talent loaded with potential.

OLB Thomas Keiser---had 2 1/2 sacks versus Cardinals and showed quickness and burst doing it.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, with the exception of McElroy, all the rest look pretty good, though I'm not sure about Keiser. Was it him or the guy (Potter) he was up against? The QB doesn't have the arm, or at least I don't think he does, to be a BA type QB.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Out of those I want King, Williams, Velasco, and possibly Fua since he can also push the pocket as well as anchor.

The question then becomes, who do we cut? My votes:

TE - Dray or Jefferson PS
LB - Demens PS
DE - Rucker
C - Gibson

My concern would be releasing Jefferson because raw or not, he has huge potential ala Jermichael Finley.

Last edited:

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I would add DT Marvin Austin to that list. The guy looked like he would be a beast coming out.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Mitch, what do think about:

Alameda Ta'amu - we know he can anchor, but can he get push inside
Dontay Moch - at his size can he be effective in the 4 man rush
Corey Fuller - fast, but does he fit BAs system

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
QB Greg McElroy---always loved this kid---right place, right time and I think he can deliver big-time. Not the strongest arm in the sandlot, but is very accurate and smart---will get rid of the ball at the right time.

Heard he has a knee injury, not sure how long he would be out. Big no from me, let's keep developing Lindley.

TE D.J. Williams---john h will concur, he was a pass catching stud at Arkansas, is a little short by NFL standards but can be a Dennis Pitta type TE.

I would have some interest.

Aren't the Pats hurting at the position with Gronk coming off back surgery and Hernadez's legal issues? Doubt they would cut someone who shows promise.

C/G Fernando Velasco---very good size, versatile, started all 16 games last year for the now o-line rich Titans.

Interesting option based on his versatility.

WR Gerell Robinson---toasted us Thursday night and I think is on the verge of becoming a breakout player. Broncos are loaded at WR.

He really looked good and I agree to target him.

WR Tavarres King---Georgia deep threat i was hoping the Cardinals would take in the draft. Could make up for losing out on Ryan Swope.

Give me Robinson instead of King.

NT Siona Fua---space eating nose guard whose best football days are ahead of him.

We do need a back up NT.

No opinion

OLB Thomas Keiser---had 2 1/2 sacks versus Cardinals and showed quickness and burst doing it.

Who do we cut to get Keiser? Doesn't look like he PS eligible.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, what do think about:

Alameda Ta'amu - we know he can anchor, but can he get push inside
Dontay Moch - at his size can he be effective in the 4 man rush
Corey Fuller - fast, but does he fit BAs system

Good ones, Lager, especially Ta'amu & Moch (injury prone it seems, however)

Fuller is intriguing. Like you, not sure if BASK think so.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, with the exception of McElroy, all the rest look pretty good, though I'm not sure about Keiser. Was it him or the guy (Potter) he was up against? The QB doesn't have the arm, or at least I don't think he does, to be a BA type QB.

So much of passing is timing. I agree he doesn't seem to fit the BA profile (and as Cardiac pointed out, there is an injury issue at the moment)---but I worry some about Stanton who has a very good arm but guns every pass and therefore lacks requisite touch on the shorter and intermediate passes.

Keiser looked very good to me---nice array of moves and some suddenness to his game, which is what we need on the edge.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Who do we cut to get Keiser? Doesn't look like he PS eligible.

The Pats felt that they were overpaying on Fells which was a factor in his being waived. They picked up some cap space.

Fells is solid---is a better receiver than we have (save perhaps Housler if he starts to be more consistent and productive).

As for Keiser---we could waive Demens---doubt he would be claimed and then we could sign him to the PS. We need some edge rushers, wouldn't you agree?

McElroy is a pipe dream, I know. I think he would be a fantastic #2 QB a la Jason Garrett. Makes the whole team smarter.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Pats felt that they were overpaying on Fells which was a factor in his being waived. They picked up some cap space.

Fells is solid---is a better receiver than we have (save perhaps Housler if he starts to be more consistent and productive).

As for Keiser---we could waive Demens---doubt he would be claimed and then we could sign him to the PS. We need some edge rushers, wouldn't you agree?

McElroy is a pipe dream, I know. I think he would be a fantastic #2 QB a la Jason Garrett. Makes the whole team smarter.

Okay, I'm more interested in Fells. I don't want to lose DC so maybe Dray finally gets the axe. Good call on Demens, he is actually a bit of a luxury since we are loaded at ILB.

McElroy, I know the Jets are more than a bit dysfunctional with the QB situation but if they cut him.......

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just looked up the WW rules because I wasn't clear on them and many posters have asked questions.

The Cards are 7th in the pecking order, same as the draft. If the first 6 teams pass on a player with less than 4 years service in the NFL then the Cards can sign them to the 53 man roster thus having to cut another player (Dray for example :) )

We don't lose our slot of picking 7th no matter how many players we snag off the WW.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/9/5/1016903/how-does-the-nfl-waiver-wire

Further down the article in the above link discusses the PS rules but it isn't clear enough to me how and when teams can sign players.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some whacky 53 man rosters at this time:

Raiders have 4 Qb's and 2 punters. Thought Al Davis had passed away, guess his spirit lives on.

Jets have 4 QB's and cut McElroy. Kinda a head scratcher. Maybe with Sanchez's bad shoulder they didn't want another QB dinged up on the roster.

Redskins have 4 QB's as well with Pat White making the team even though 2009? was his last stint in the NFL.

Bills only have 1 QB who can suit up for their first regular season game.

I will add the Cards having 7 CB's and only 4 WR's.

There are a ton of GM's playing chess at this point IMHO. Trying to slide players through to the PS and keeping excess positions in hopes of making a trade.

Keim pulled this off last year with AJ Jefferson and look to cash in on the extra CB's again this year. The axiom that you can't have too many CB's is a truism and Keim appears to be using this to his favor again.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Valasco is not subject to waivers.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Raiders have 4 Qb's and 2 punters. Thought Al Davis had passed away, guess his spirit lives on.

Jets have 4 QB's and cut McElroy. Kinda a head scratcher. Maybe with Sanchez's bad shoulder they didn't want another QB dinged up on the roster.

Redskins have 4 QB's as well with Pat White making the team even though 2009? was his last stint in the NFL.

There are a ton of GM's playing chess at this point IMHO. Trying to slide players through to the PS and keeping excess positions in hopes of making a trade.

Keim pulled this off last year with AJ Jefferson and look to cash in on the extra CB's again this year. The axiom that you can't have too many CB's is a truism and Keim appears to be using this to his favor again.

You missed that the Browns have no kicker on their initial 53.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Out of those I want King, Williams, Velasco, and possibly Fua since he can also push the pocket as well as anchor.

The question then becomes, who do we cut? My votes:

TE - Dray or Jefferson PS
LB - Demens PS
DE - Rucker
C - Gibson

My concern would be releasing Jefferson because raw or not, he has huge potential ala Jermichael Finley.

- Demens
- McCann
- Jefferson

Those are my expendable players right now.

Gibson is going to be our first guard, or center in on gameday. Frostee Rucker is a solid vet, he is good for his role.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

I know that Bruce Arians is "old-school" but his mantra of "Best 53 players" seems to be a trend.

I love the fact the Cardinals only kept 4 wide receivers. I think that was very smart.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Valasco is not subject to waivers.

Yes he is. Why did you think he wasn't? He's not a vested veteran. He's in his 4th year and signed an RFA tender for this season. Completely subject to waivers.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You missed that the Browns have no kicker on their initial 53.

Should have stated that this wasn't a complete list and was hoping others would add examples.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know that Bruce Arians is "old-school" but his mantra of "Best 53 players" seems to be a trend.

I love the fact the Cardinals only kept 4 wide receivers. I think that was very smart.

I agree. I won't be shocked to see a 5th WR added via WW.

cardinalsfan

Veteran
Reaction score
Yes he is. Why did you think he wasn't? He's not a vested veteran. He's in his 4th year and signed an RFA tender for this season. Completely subject to waivers.

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 56m
As previously noted, former Titans C Fernando Velasco is not subject to waivers.