AZ 12 TEN 7 Analysis

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Peterson claims to be a leader of the defense, yet he pulls crap like this. Does he really think his teammates look to him as a leader when he quits on a play to argue over a non call while the play is still live? This is why Mitch has problems with Peterson. The real question is will the coaches call him out on it? If they don't, then it tells you a lot about this staff.

I blame the coaches as much or more than I do Peterson. The coaches have enabled him. Part of it is the Ted Ginn syndrome. The coaches sat by and watched Ted Ginn dog it time and time again on punt and kickoff returns---and then Ginn cost the Cardinals big-time in the playoffs versus Carolina when he ridiculously tried to return a kickoff (with the Cardinals only down 3 points in the 3rd quarter) 9 yards deep in the end zone and easily coughs the ball up inside the 20 yard line which then led to a Carolina blowout win. So the Cardinals cut Ginn after the season and eat all his signing bonus money and then he goes as re-signs with Carolina. And the next year with Carolina he suddenly looks interested in returning punts and kickoffs again.

It's Amos Jones, BA and James Bettcher, There's a good reason why Patrick Peterson has never scored another punt return TD since BA and Jones arrived 5 years ago (in well over 100 chances). All he does is look to run out of bounds even if it means sprinting across the field on a straight line to get to the other sideline. He almost never turns the ball upfield, like he dd when he was a rookie. Plus, Peterson's punt fumble gaffe the next year in Carolina was just when the team was mounting a comeback.

Thirdly, it's Bettchers' coverage scheme which puts PP on the other team's best WR and weakens the rest of the defense. In New England, they bracket the #1 WR with their #2 CB and FS---and they put the #1 CB on the #2 WR---now the defense isn't as vulnerable that way.

The problem with asking PP to cover the #1 WR too is that it enables him the mindset that this is all he has to do in the defense---like that's his only job. But, as we all know, there are team aspects of defense that can't be ignored...like shedding blocks and making tackles---which Peterson ignores under the pretense of 100% pass coverage all the time.

This year up until yesterday Bettcher has been playing more zone coverages...and quite frankly PP should be thriving in that role with all his athleticism---and yet he has been routinely ineffective in both the coverage and the run forcing responsibilities.

A couple of games ago---talking about leadership---PP was asked as a captain by the media what it was going to be like to go up against such a prolific power and speed RB in Leonard Fournette---and while watching PP go on and on how they are going to have to get to Fournette before he can gather speed, it was hard to imagine PP ever trying to tackle LF himself. And sure enough in that game whenever LF or even a Jags' WR in the flat off a simple hitch pass caught the ball with PP playing up in the zone, PP panicked, did his patented freaked-out leg spinning like he's trying to make a tackle but he either (a) slips and falls or (b) flails up high on the ball carrier. He never, ever breaks down like every Pop Warner kid is taught to do when they learn the fundamentals of tackling.

In the Jags game...PP had the perfect game for him...number one, he never made an effort to get anywhere near Fournette, Number two,he did a great job blanketing his man, WR Marquis Lee, but he whiffed badly in zone on simple hitch pass to his flat where he ran wildly in a straight line at the WR who easily ran right by him (even the cameras focussed on PP after the play, knowing how bad that looked) and PP tried to cover up by running over to Antoine Bethea like he was confused as to what the defense was...then he spent the rest of the game totally avoiding any contact...he was credited with 3 tackles because he was the nearest defender to the player who ran out of bounds, but not one of those tackles involved any contact...and he returned two punts, one which he raced the whole length pf the field to run out of bounds (never touched) and the next of which he just caught and ran immediately out of bounds to the nearest sideline (again never touched). Fortunately, the Cardinals won the game and Budda Baker and Antoine Bethea were all over the field making tackles when the defensive linemen weren't cleaning up inside...so this was PP's perfect game...it was his classic play in tuxedo game....you know the same way the Pro Bowl is...made to order, all coverage and no contact.

What I wonder---is what PP would look like playing for a coach who holds him to the highest standards as Todd Haley did with Fitz. But I can't think of any Super Bowl contender who would coddle and enable PP the way the Cardinals do. In that regard, I blame the coaches as much or more.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The play where Gabbert missed the TD pass to Fitz, that's the play that really is the key to Gabbert in his career. He's got the size, he's got the arm, he's a good athlete, he competes, but good NFL QB's hit that play consistently and he didn't hit it.

I still say he's playing significantly better than I expected given the OL sucks, AP is out hurt, and the Wr's are so limited beyond Fitz. But those are the types of plays that separate a guy from being a good NFL starter, and being a guy who drives coaches nuts.

You just described Carson Palmer lol

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Yes. But, better than forcing a throw into tight coverage like he did his 1st two games.
That's what I think happened. Gabbert was probably told not to make bad throws and take a sack if necessary instead of an interception. Because Gabbert has not played very well the last two games I think we can sign him for cheap now. I can see a three year deal for 4 mil a season and he would take it. I would still draft a QB in the first round next year. We will be drafting in the top 15 so a trade up in to the top ten shouldn't be that much plus there are like 6 QB's this year that are suppose to be good from what I'm hearing. I will start looking at film in January to figure out my own favorites.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Right. Dawson missing 8 FGs is all on Amos. Sounds like a guy making excuses. "Look in the mirror, Phil."

You do realize he's had more kicks blocked here (FGA/XP) than any where else in his 18 year career? Phil Dawson was signed here because his highly successful kicking track record. Chandler Catanzaro sucked here and we couldn't wait to run him out of town. He went to the Jets and started kicking lights out. Are you starting to notice a trend? Keep your head buried in the sand though if that helps you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Palmer has hit Fitz on that play so many times I can't count, he's really good at dropping the ball in over the top like that.

Thats just one of those throws really good QB's rarely miss.

I agree, to an extent. But, how many really good QBs can withstand 8 sacks and 8 other hits at that point in the game and still hit that pass on the money? The problem wasn't from the edges---it was right in BG's face from the interior, which would cause any QB to hurry. I thought too that Fitz did a little extra juking at the beginning of his route that disrupted the timing of the pass and where BG thought he would be. The timing of that pass is key.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And timing comes with playing together which he and Fitz have not had that much. People are expecting BG to be freaking all pro only after a few games geesh!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Palmer has hit Fitz on that play so many times I can't count, he's really good at dropping the ball in over the top like that.

Thats just one of those throws really good QB's rarely miss.

He’s missed throws like that so many times I can’t count as well...

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That was just a crappy game all around yesterday. Both teams were absolutely pathetic.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree the OL is bad but Gabbert has horrible pocket presence. This was discussed in the postgame show. Doesn't know when to step up in the pocket and although he has wheels he really has no idea how or when to use them. He doesn't seem to know where the first down marker is when he runs and will take a loss and run out of bounds rather then just toss the ball away. Baffling that he has been in the league this long and still plays like he does. Ok if he is our backup next year but I really don't like seeing him much more than I like seeing Stanton.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Real question: Would you rather have Iupati at LG for 2 more years at 9mil OR Boone at LG for 5 years at 6mil? That is looking to be the decision in the offseason.

That is Boone’s Minnesota contract. He was cut and currently has a 1 year contract, according to Spotrac. He is a FA next year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That is Boone’s Minnesota contract. He was cut and currently has a 1 year contract, according to Spotrac. He is a FA next year.
I am aware that Boone is a free agent...that is why I am stating that we have a choice to make. We either cut Iupati and re-sign Boone...or keep Iupati and let Boone sign somewhere else. Keeping Iupati is keeping his bad contract. Re-signing Boone is getting into a new bad contract.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I am aware that Boone is a free agent...that is why I am stating that we have a choice to make. We either cut Iupati and re-sign Boone...or keep Iupati and let Boone sign somewhere else. Keeping Iupati is keeping his bad contract. Re-signing Boone is getting into a new bad contract.

Chopper, sounds like you have little faith in Keim's ability to write contracts. :D I am leaning toward releasing Iupati and trying to resign Boone. Besides Iupati's bad contract he is having trouble staying on the field too. At least Boone is playing.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Chopper, sounds like you have little faith in Keim's ability to write contracts. :D I am leaning toward releasing Iupati and trying to resign Boone. Besides Iupati's bad contract he is having trouble staying on the field too. At least Boone is playing.
I don't think Boone is worth the money. And he will command 5 to 6 mil per year. Teams are desperate. I think I would rather just eat the 9 mil for Iupati next year, and make sure we don't get into another bad contract. Look to shore up LG in 2019 when you can cut Iupati with less dead money.

Re: Keim...he has his ups and downs. I think we were desperate when he signed Veldheer and Iupati with the belief that he could draft and develop their replacements. Good plan...bad execution.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I was wondering the other day if there was any possibility/benefit of trying to move Deone back to his college spot in the secondary (in a Kam Chancellor sort of role). It seems he just isn't really standing out at LB like he did early on. Maybe he could trim up and play safety again at high level. It seems like this coaching staff never shakes things up unless an injury forces their hand.

Buc is not a safety, and never will be. He would be a terrible safety IMO, and I believe he was drafted to be an ISLB. I know the beat writers say he was only put there because of D-Waste being suspended, but I'm not buying it. He was not even a good cover guy in college, so why would he be now? Here is a clip (below) from an article written last year.

"When you look at Deone Bucannon, just about everything screams safety. It was his college position at Washington State, one at which he excelled enough for the Arizona Cardinals to select him in first round of the 2014 draft. He certainly fits the mold of an Adrian Wilson-style thumper at 6-1 and 211 pounds, and his No. 20 is a mainstay for defensive backs.

Everything but the game film. That brands Bucannon clearly as a linebacker.

“I’ve watched a lot of defensive film over the last three year and he’s one the best linebackers in the National Football League,” Cardinals defensive coordinator James Bettcher said. “You turn his tape and you see how well he chases the ball.”

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So, he's not a safety and he's not a linebacker..... B.S.

Despite Bettchers insistence that he is a ProBowl caliber linebacker, it's like a long running joke that won't go away. This guy is a SS and nothing else. He is Adrian Wilson far more than he is Ray Lewis.