Waiting to trade Crowder

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JJ has until mid December at the latest to get a deal done if he wants maximum value. Jae isn't playing and teams will question his conditioning more as the season wears on. Right now it's still plenty early to work him back into shape to make a run but once we're looking at him sitting out 1/3 to 1/2 the season his value will decrease even more. That's also longer our team will be short handed.

JJ lacks any sense of urgency and I see that costing him his job eventually. It's nice to see he won't be forced into making a move out of desperation but he sometimes not making a move can be worse than making a bad move.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JJ has until mid December at the latest to get a deal done if he wants maximum value. Jae isn't playing and teams will question his conditioning more as the season wears on. Right now it's still plenty early to work him back into shape to make a run but once we're looking at him sitting out 1/3 to 1/2 the season his value will decrease even more. That's also longer our team will be short handed.

JJ lacks any sense of urgency and I see that costing him his job eventually. It's nice to see he won't be forced into making a move out of desperation but he sometimes not making a move can be worse than making a bad move.
I don't know that we can safely assume it's business as usual for JJ. Maybe it is but for all we know, he could be on a very short leash until the sale. As for losing his job, that might happen regardless once the new owner steps in.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If trade rumors are to believed, a couple of reported trades for Crowder fell apart because James Jones wanted something extra in the trades, in one case Jarred Vanderbilt and another Kenyon Martin Jr.

It makes me think that he may have some other trades on the back burner, so he can afford to be picky.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If trade rumors are to believed, a couple of reported trades for Crowder fell apart because James Jones wanted something extra in the trades, in one case Jarred Vanderbilt and another Kenyon Martin Jr.

It makes me think that he may have some other trades on the back burner, so he can afford to be picky.

If he had something on the back burner then he'd have made a move by now. He was in the drivers seat until Cam Johnson got injured. Now the team is painfully shorthanded and it's 100% on JJ.

You give JJ the benefit of doubt too often. I've been guilty of the same myself but after this off-season and seeing the lack of moves he's made, he's just not a proactive GM. That's ok, he's been lucky and had things fall into his lap before but his luck has run out in that regard. It's time he works the phones and finds help for this team. He has plenty of movable assets at his disposal. If he waits until a losing streak forces his hand, he'll really be short changed.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
If he had something on the back burner then he'd have made a move by now. He was in the drivers seat until Cam Johnson got injured. Now the team is painfully shorthanded and it's 100% on JJ.

You give JJ the benefit of doubt too often. I've been guilty of the same myself but after this off-season and seeing the lack of moves he's made, he's just not a proactive GM. That's ok, he's been lucky and had things fall into his lap before but his luck has run out in that regard. It's time he works the phones and finds help for this team. He has plenty of movable assets at his disposal. If he waits until a losing streak forces his hand, he'll really be short changed.
This might sound stupid, but bear with me...

Might JJ be trying to get good value for Crowder now, but have a back pocket idea of a blockbuster package in January when Ayton is available for trade?

Think of the assets that can be used to get a Durant or other all-star: CamJ(oft injured), Ayton(now get equal value on trade instead of half), CP3(kind of expiring contract because whoever gets him only has to pay half to let him walk next year), Crowder, Saric, future draft picks. That's a boatload of available trade dollars. Suns could land a quality player or two especially from a tanking team.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This might sound stupid, but bear with me...

Might JJ be trying to get good value for Crowder now, but have a back pocket idea of a blockbuster package in January when Ayton is available for trade?

Think of the assets that can be used to get a Durant or other all-star: CamJ(oft injured), Ayton(now get equal value on trade instead of half), CP3(kind of expiring contract because whoever gets him only has to pay half to let him walk next year), Crowder, Saric, future draft picks. That's a boatload of available trade dollars. Suns could land a quality player or two especially from a tanking team.
I could be wrong, but I don't think the Suns are looking to trade Ayton at all. Sure if the right deal comes along, but actively looking to move him, I don't buy it. The team as constructed needs him, and there are only about 3 centers better.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

At this point, we still having a winning record. We are not missing Jae's 10/4 per game. We are actually more versatile without this guy imo, sure we'd like someone bodying up bigger power forwards but we have guys who aren't just chuckers out there, they can dribble, pass, penetrate, and shoot! Our gameplay is better executed and we have guys who have started for us this season outplay Jae already. This is one where this board overvalues a player, i for one am not in that boat. We just need to realize he doesn't have value to anyone right now, his value could go up during the trade deadline since he'll be 10M expiring.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point, we still having a winning record. We are not missing Jae's 10/4 per game. We are actually more versatile without this guy imo, sure we'd like someone bodying up bigger power forwards but we have guys who aren't just chuckers out there, they can dribble, pass, penetrate, and shoot! Our gameplay is better executed and we have guys who have started for us this season outplay Jae already. This is one where this board overvalues a player, i for one am not in that boat. We just need to realize he doesn't have value to anyone right now, his value could go up during the trade deadline since he'll be 10M expiring.
I think we're definitely missing Crowder's game, made even more obvious because we lost CamJ too. Ideally, Jae would have accepted the move to the bench (where he belongs) but his toughness and flexibility are noticably missing from this squad IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The way I look at it, the Suns have a limited pool of players they are interested in now and a larger pool of players they are interested in later, December 15th and thereafter.

If the Suns were offered anything they really wanted, I think James Jones would have already pulled the trigger.

I do think Jae Crowder has value to other teams but it will likely take a third team to make it happen. He is not the type player you build a trade around.

Another thing, the Suns have a number of players they can aggregate in a larger trade. I think James Jones has been keeping an eye on bigger prizes as well.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
The way I look at it, the Suns have a limited pool of players they are interested in now and a larger pool of players they are interested in later, December 15th and thereafter.

If the Suns were offered anything they really wanted, I think James Jones would have already pulled the trigger.

I do think Jae Crowder has value to other teams but it will likely take a third team to make it happen. He is not the type player you build a trade around.

Another thing, the Suns have a number of players they can aggregate in a larger trade. I think James Jones has been keeping an eye on bigger prizes as well.
Very good point about December 15th opening up new free agent opportunities for Crowder. That may well be what JJ is waiting for at this point.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No point in getting in a hurry. The lack of conditioning issue is way overblown. In fact, there will be some attraction in the fact that he will be well-rested and fully recovered from any nagging injuries. 32 year old players need that kind of break sometimes.

No point in giving him away to a team that will compete against us at some point in the playoffs just so we can have a deal done. He can sit and wait for the deal that will benefit us.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they trade with the Bucks I am going to flip. Screw that. I would rather sit on Jae until the trade deadline when teams rate desperate.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Warriors have nothing that benefits us this season

Unless it’s crowder and Saric for green.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The above article is saying it might take 3-5 teams to get the trade done.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be ok with Crowder for Wiseman. That would signal the Suns plan on moving on from Ayton but we'd have a big with serious potential to fill his role and allow the team to search for the best return for Ayton they can get rather than trying to get frontcourt talent in return.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That would fantastic but not probable.
I don't know about that. I don't think they are opposed to trading Green at this point.

Not sure I agree about it being fantastic either. It would just be a half season rental, and Green is not the player he used to be.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know about that. I don't think they are opposed to trading Green at this point.

Not sure I agree about it being fantastic either. It would just be a half season rental, and Green is not the player he used to be.

It’s definitely wishing on part, somewhat.

Green seems disinterested.
Green not being the player he used to be is better than Crowder and Saric, combined.

Rental would be a Craig type rental. Maybe Green can be that if we need, even in limited minutes. We have a nice cast that he can feed on assists.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warriors have nothing that benefits us this season

Unless it’s crowder and Saric for green.

As I view it, it would be almost like the Suns trading for Patrick Beverley. There are some things I never want to happen.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ill wait for them to actually make a trade before being pissed off about it. I don't expect the return we get for Jae to make any difference at all.
No team is trading any player that's worth a damn at this point in the season. Just wait till Jan deadline for more options.