Vince Young staying in school

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI Espn says Young announced Monday he's returning next year for his senior year.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
FYI Espn says Young announced Monday he's returning next year for his senior year.

Between now and then, lots of things change, especially if they win a Title.

But then again Texas players seem to always stay their full 4 years so he is probably wont change his mind. Plus he probably got good advice from scouts to stay in school and work on his passing ability to go along with his running ability, becuase as of right now there is no way he goes in the top 10 of the draft, somewhere he could go next year and make like 10+ mill more in the process.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Between now and then, lots of things change, especially if they win a Title.

But then again Texas players seem to always stay their full 4 years so he is probably wont change his mind. Plus he probably got good advice from scouts to stay in school and work on his passing ability to go along with his running ability, becuase as of right now there is no way he goes in the top 10 of the draft, somewhere he could go next year and make like 10+ mill more in the process.

Agreed, the blurb on ESPN even said if they win an NC and he wins a Heisman he may change his mind.

Also, Young is a 4th year junior he redshirted his first year so technically if he left this year he would still have had 4 years.

Great kid, highly improved this year, still not sure if he's an NFL QB or will move to WR.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
hopefully that stops all the draft Vince Young nonsense.I think he announced it because he knows he won't be more than a mid round selection unless he does an unbelievable amount of improving his mechanics and accuracy. That and he may not be able to afford the pay cut. ;)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
hopefully that stops all the draft Vince Young nonsense.I think he announced it because he knows he won't be more than a mid round selection unless he does an unbelievable amount of improving his mechanics and accuracy. That and he may not be able to afford the pay cut. ;)

if matt jones could drafted in the first round as a wr why not vince young? we're talking similar height and i'll bet the speed is comparable too.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Gaw Dang't. I really wanted him, now I guesss I'll have to go back to jocking McNeil and Carpenter.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
if matt jones could drafted in the first round as a wr why not vince young? we're talking similar height and i'll bet the speed is comparable too.

Young is 6'5 and 230 and moves like someone 6' 215.

Did you know that Vince Young has the highest passer efficiency rating in the country?

Not that it means anything. Just an interesting bit of information.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Did you know that Vince Young has the highest passer efficiency rating in the country?

Brian Brohm out of Louisville is the highest passer rating.

Young is #2.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Brian Brohm out of Louisville is the highest passer rating.

Young is #2.

Brohm is also my personal #2 QB prospect in college behind Leinart, but he's not draft eligible unfortunately, already a Card in college would look great in our uniform.

There is the question of he's the 2nd straight Louisville QB to put up huge numbers so is there a system thing in effect, but he's in a lot of ways like Manning he's got it in the family.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:

Vince Young is a top 5 pick barnone.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
Vince Young is a top 5 pick barnone.

Don't be so quick Tree squid...i wrote a huge post about how his performance this season and a good combine could vault him to number two on the board...

But i have been able to watch his last two games....(only other game i saw was OSU and he didn't have that big of a game/...and although he is a great competitor and even a better passer than Vick IS NOW....he has a hitch and he will get picked apart in the preceding three months to the draft. And i mean that hitch is really noticable. If he winds up like that in the NFL, he will be the lunch of players like Peppers and Berry....It might be just a matter of good coaching (which lord knows he doesnt get at UT) but it might be enough to drop him down significantly.....

To be honest hes not a gamble i want the Cardinals to take after watching these last few games.......

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Yeah to gamble on V. Young in the top Five picks wouldn't make much sense. I would much rather take Brad Smith in the Second rd. He is essentially the same player as Young with no supporting cast. Young might be a better passer but neither are much to talk about passing IMO. They do bring alot to the table. Both would probably be better at Wr.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Not at all Rats. Brad Smith is way too small to be an NFL QB and his play has been very unspectacular since his sophmore year (recurring theme for the QBs you like :D ). If Vince Young fixes his mechanics, he will be Randall Cunningham II.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Hasn't Brad Smith been benched a couple of times this year and replaced by a freshman.I don't follow Mizzou that close but i thought i read that somewhere.

The Matt Jones/Vince Young comparison is a good one but Jones seems to be a more fluid athlete that can make the transition easier.I'm not saying Young can't or won't but Jones just seems, to me, that he could make the transition easier.Besides,Jones isn't really doing anything this year and was another one of those guys,like Phillip Rivers, who vaulted up the draft board after 1 week of practice at the Senior Bowl.

Rats

Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Not at all Rats. Brad Smith is way too small to be an NFL QB and his play has been very unspectacular since his sophmore year (recurring theme for the QBs you like :D ). If Vince Young fixes his mechanics, he will be Randall Cunningham II.
The Kid will end up the all time ground gainer for NCAA Qb and will be top three in total yards from the line of scrimmage and he is unspectacular? Last week he had 480 total yards of offense. 250 passing 230 rushing. He is listed as 6'3 215 but he is more like 6'2 210 no way to small to play in the NFL. Probably more as Wr as I said. I think you should withdraw from your unspectacular line of thinking since you really do not know what you are talking about. There is a very good comparison by what the two Qb have accomplished. Smith did it with out a supporting cast at MU. Young has had had alot of very good players around him. Oh and did I mention that he will be the first NCAA DIV 1 player to throw for 8000 yards and rush for 4000...man that is unspectacular :rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rats said:
The Kid will end up the all time ground gainer for NCAA Qb and will be top three in total yards from the line of scrimmage and he is unspectacular? Last week he had 480 total yards of offense. 250 passing 230 rushing. He is listed as 6'3 215 but he is more like 6'2 210 no way to small to play in the NFL. Probably more as Wr as I said. I think you should withdraw from your unspectacular line of thinking since you really do not know what you are talking about. There is a very good comparison by what the two Qb have accomplished. Smith did it with out a supporting cast at MU. Young has had had alot of very good players around him.

ESPN lists him at 6'2". I've only seen him once, and he had an awful game but that was a few years ago, he looked shorter than 6'2" to me. The problem I see just looking at stats is YPA stinks, 3 of his 4 seasons he's been below 6 YPA. In college that's really bad. Vince Young this year is 9.98, Brad Smith 5.91, yes Texas has more talent but 4 yards per attempt more talent?

Young's lowest YPA figure was last year, 7.4, Smiths was his freshman year, just over 6. That says Smith isn't throwing the ball downfield. IIn the same conference you have Reggie McNeal over 8 YPA his entire career, over 10 as a freshman. He's another guy who's not as tall as his listed 6'2" but to me he has a better chance of making it at Qb in the NFL than Brad Smith does unless Smith just has horrible WR's and that's why his YPA numbers are so bad?

But again, I haven't seen Smith nearly enough to have an educated opinion, but off stats he looks like a guy who'll be lucky to get drafted on the 2nd day.

Rats

Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
Hasn't Brad Smith been benched a couple of times this year and replaced by a freshman.I don't follow Mizzou that close but i thought i read that somewhere.

The Matt Jones/Vince Young comparison is a good one but Jones seems to be a more fluid athlete that can make the transition easier.I'm not saying Young can't or won't but Jones just seems, to me, that he could make the transition easier.Besides,Jones isn't really doing anything this year and was another one of those guys,like Phillip Rivers, who vaulted up the draft board after 1 week of practice at the Senior Bowl.
Not benched...he was injured a couple of times( concussion) and Chase Daniels came in and did a great job. He led the Tigers to the win against Iowa St. while Smith was on the sidelines with a blow to the head. Smith should be College player of the week for last week. HE already has won Sports Illistrateds Player of the week and a host of other awards.

Rats

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
ESPN lists him at 6'2". I've only seen him once, and he had an awful game but that was a few years ago, he looked shorter than 6'2" to me. The problem I see just looking at stats is YPA stinks, 3 of his 4 seasons he's been below 6 YPA. In college that's really bad. Vince Young this year is 9.98, Brad Smith 5.91, yes Texas has more talent but 4 yards per attempt more talent?

Young's lowest YPA figure was last year, 7.4, Smiths was his freshman year, just over 6. That says Smith isn't throwing the ball downfield. IIn the same conference you have Reggie McNeal over 8 YPA his entire career, over 10 as a freshman. He's another guy who's not as tall as his listed 6'2" but to me he has a better chance of making it at Qb in the NFL than Brad Smith does unless Smith just has horrible WR's and that's why his YPA numbers are so bad?

But again, I haven't seen Smith nearly enough to have an educated opinion, but off stats he looks like a guy who'll be lucky to get drafted on the 2nd day.
If you just look at passing stats....yes you will not see the overall picture that Brad Smith brings to the table. And he has had less than steller receivers in 2 of his 4 yrs. And I think I said that he would have a better chance at Wr in the NFL than Qb....as would Young who we were comparing. Young as a top 5pick or Smith as a Second rd pick. Which would make more sense. Neither will be a top flight NFL Qb IMO but they both could be very good WR. Since you haven't seen Smith play much I think I would rather have people that have seen him play regularly give there opinion. Rather than let you try and paint a picture with obscure stats of Reggie (who) Mcneil

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rats said:
If you just look at passing stats....yes you will not see the overall picture that Brad Smith brings to the table. And he has had less than steller receivers in 2 of his 4 yrs. And I think I said that he would have a better chance at Wr in the NFL than Qb....as would Young who we were comparing. Young as a top 5pick or Smith as a Second rd pick. Which would make more sense. Neither will be a top flight NFL Qb IMO but they both could be very good WR. Since you haven't seen Smith play much I think I would rather have people that have seen him play regularly give there opinion. Rather than let you try and paint a picture with obscure stats of Reggie (who) Mcneil

I don't think Young will play Qb in the NFL either.

McNeal is the guy who AjCardfan has been talking about in the past as being comparable to Vince Young in many ways, since all 3 are in the same conference it's not exactly obscure to cite him for comparison.

Again I've barely seen Smith play so my opinion on him is solely on stats.

Rats

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I don't think Young will play Qb in the NFL either.

McNeal is the guy who AjCardfan has been talking about in the past as being comparable to Vince Young in many ways, since all 3 are in the same conference it's not exactly obscure to cite him for comparison.

Again I've barely seen Smith play so my opinion on him is solely on stats.
I can see comparing him because they play in the same conferance as Young and Smith. He is just not the same caliber player imo. It is funny Smith has 50 more rushing yards than Reggie Bush and 400 more than Young(who has a slight lead in passing yards) but because they are on better teams they along with Leinart are the frontrunners for the Heisman.....Smith, unless his team wins out and he throws for 2000 and rushes for 1000(which it looks like he will be the only guy to do it twice in a career) won't even get an invite to the ceramony. :shrug:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Rats said:
I can see comparing him because they play in the same conferance as Young and Smith. He is just not the same caliber player imo. It is funny Smith has 50 more rushing yards than Reggie Bush and 400 more than Young(who has a slight lead in passing yards) but because they are on better teams they along with Leinart are the frontrunners for the Heisman.....Smith, unless his team wins out and he throws for 2000 and rushes for 1000(which it looks like he will be the only guy to do it twice in a career) won't even get an invite to the ceramony. :shrug:

Young is just such a physical specimen. One of those "planet" people. How many of the "running" QB's were his size? He's much bigger than Smith.

Of course it didn't help Smith's PR that Texas smoked Missouri.

Rats

Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Young is just such a physical specimen. One of those "planet" people. How many of the "running" QB's were his size? He's much bigger than Smith.

Of course it didn't help Smith's PR that Texas smoked Missouri.
Maybe a rematch in the title game who knows....Young is big and fast and has very talented people around him. This Texas team might get the National Title away from USC....

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
If Smith gets a little bigger I can see him being a RB like Marcus Allen.

He runs a lot like him, has that hesitation that isn't really a hesitation and a gliding type running style.

He's skinny now but he's gotten bigger every year, some think he's a natural WR but I think he'd be better as a RB just my opinion.

Smith just can't throw a long pass to save his lilfe, I follow Mizzou all the time, he's tried everything, the coaches have tried everything, he wants to be a NFL QB so bad and everyone has tried to help him do that.

Pinkle has coached quite a few NFL QB's so it's not like he dosen't know what he's doing there, it just isn't working.

Young on the other hand is a freak of nature, He's got the arm to be a QB, he's more accurate than Smith with just as big an arm.

I seriously consider leaving him as a QB.

Last edited:

Rats

Reaction score
conraddobler said:
If Smith gets a little bigger I can see him being a RB like Marcus Allen.

He runs a lot like him, has that hesitation that isn't really a hesitation and a gliding type running style.

He's skinny now but he's gotten bigger every year, some think he's a natural WR but I think he'd be better as a RB just my opinion.

Smith just can't throw a long pass to save his lilfe, I follow Mizzou all the time, he's tried everything, the coaches have tried everything, he wants to be a NFL QB so bad and everyone has tried to help him do that.

Pinkle has coached quite a few NFL QB's so it's not like he dosen't know what he's doing there, it just isn't working.

Young on the other hand is a freak of nature, He's got the arm to be a QB, he's more accurate than Smith with just as big an arm.

I seriously consider leaving him as a QB.
So you would consider picking Young as a Top 5 Qb? Versus a 2nd rd pick of Smith? That was my basis for this conversation. I do not think Young as a Qb would be worth a top 5 pick. Top 15 maybe. I do not see him being successful at the next level as a Qb. Nor do I see Smith being successful as a Qb in the NFL. Yes Brad can't seem to judge the long ball very well...although when he had an NFL caliber Wr in Gage...he did better. He has had some poor receivers so some of it is on them.