Vikings @ Cardinals postgame thread

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Snap counts

Zaven Collins up to 41% this week. Daniels and Harris paid the price for being poor vs the Titans.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Winters missed that block on Kendricks and never touched the field on offense again. I understand they want to keep the linemen fresh for the up tempo offense, but I’d rather keep the starters out there 100% of the time

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Winters missed that block on Kendricks and never touched the field on offense again. I understand they want to keep the linemen fresh for the up tempo offense, but I’d rather keep the starters out there 100% of the time

Seriously! I thought someone must have gotten hurt for him to get in there. We sure it wasn't just a one-play injury situation.

Only 5 penalties called on us?

That's definitely not my takeaway. My takeaway is "Wow, a bunch of stupid, inexcusable penalties early yet again; KK still can't maintain discipline."

VJ adjusted great in 2nd. To hear this from his superstar player is ever better. So far Murray and VJ are the mvps of this team.

VJ had to adjust great in the 2nd, because he coached like a moron in the first half. Seriously, what defense leaves the 3 interior offensive linemen uncovered by the D-line OR linebackers with the safeties so far off the line? I don't care how good your players are, a run up the gut makes it impossible to touch the RB for 5 yards minimum. And, yep, sure as shooting, that's what happened.

VJ had a Pop Warner level 1st half. He had an acceptable 2nd half.

Why have we struggled with rookie and back up quarterbacks the last few seasons?

Do we underestimate them? Feel that it will just happen because of their inexperience?

The last few seasons? Try forever!

I'm never going to predict a result again.

No way I would have the Titans beating the Chicks or Ravens beating the Chiefs with the injuries they have. And I thought we beat the Vikings comfortably.

You can just never tell with football.

In fact let's take the stress off next week and predict a Jags win!

Right? I'll take blame on this one. No matter how many dancing stick figures I use, there's no excusing the bad mojo that brews when I'M so optimistic!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
How can we be so outstanding stopping Henry's run last week (he absolutely killed it today) and so ineffective against Cook just seven days later?

It was handy that he got a bit banged up in the second half.
Different run scheme and type of runner. You have to be way more disciplined vs Cook and the Minnesota run scheme.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
he actually grew on me as the game went on. Quite liked him by the end
It is very different from the commentary that you normally get. Some gems in there in terms of knowledge but more entertainment than polish.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How can we be so outstanding stopping Henry's run last week (he absolutely killed it today) and so ineffective against Cook just seven days later?

It was handy that he got a bit banged up in the second half.
Cook is probably the best cut back runner in the NFL, and the Cardinals under Joseph have been vulnerable to that style of runner. Hicks over pursues & then they cut back on him. Simmons’ length allowed him to make some tackles on those cutbacks, but only after Cook got 5+ yards. When you consider he had over 100 yards at the half & ended up with 133, we did a pretty good job in the 2nd half defensively.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seriously! I thought someone must have gotten hurt for him to get in there. We sure it wasn't just a one-play injury situation.

That's definitely not my takeaway. My takeaway is "Wow, a bunch of stupid, inexcusable penalties early yet again; KK still can't maintain discipline."

VJ had to adjust great in the 2nd, because he coached like a moron in the first half. Seriously, what defense leaves the 3 interior offensive linemen uncovered by the D-line OR linebackers with the safeties so far off the line? I don't care how good your players are, a run up the gut makes it impossible to touch the RB for 5 yards minimum. And, yep, sure as shooting, that's what happened.

VJ had a Pop Warner level 1st half. He had an acceptable 2nd half.

The last few seasons? Try forever!

Right? I'll take blame on this one. No matter how many dancing stick figures I use, there's no excusing the bad mojo that brews when I'M so optimistic!
I’m guilty too. My record watching the Cardinals live is like 3-33, and now it has carried over to even watching the games live on TV. When my youngest is home from college, he absolutely will not allow me in the TV room during the game. He says I’m bad luck. AND I AM! He was off to school & I was cocky, so I watched the 1st MN drive. After that, I periodically peek at the score. I tape every game & go back & rewatch after the game is over. I think I would stroke out watching this team every week. Exactly why I don’t make comments on the board during the game.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Snap counts

Zaven Collins up to 41% this week. Daniels and Harris paid the price for being poor vs the Titans.

Pretty happy with the offensive usage. I like that we used more and less multiple TEs which led to more snaps for Moore. The interesting question is what to do with Kirk now that Moore looks like a keeper? I feel that Kirk has shown he has to play in the slot and that would mean we would need to see if Moore can play outside or run way more 10 personnel.

On defense...2020 all over again. Hicks with the 4th most snaps. Gross. 9 more snaps than Simmons and 34 more snaps than Collins. Hicks lack of athleticism was apparent in the game. He is easy to spot. When Simmons or Collins is attacking downhill, Hicks is going sideways.

Crazy that Hamilton came in a played 50% of snaps.

Leki Fotu and Dogbe obviously are further down on the depth chart. Zach Allen played 62% of snaps and Rashad Lawrence played 34%. Hopefully the young guys continue to develop because a lot of snaps are being put on Corey Peters and JJ Watt.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty happy with the offensive usage. I like that we used more and less multiple TEs which led to more snaps for Moore. The interesting question is what to do with Kirk now that Moore looks like a keeper? I feel that Kirk has shown he has to play in the slot and that would mean we would need to see if Moore can play outside or run way more 10 personnel.

On defense...2020 all over again. Hicks with the 4th most snaps. Gross. 9 more snaps than Simmons and 34 more snaps than Collins. Hicks lack of athleticism was apparent in the game. He is easy to spot. When Simmons or Collins is attacking downhill, Hicks is going sideways.

Crazy that Hamilton came in a played 50% of snaps.

Leki Fotu and Dogbe obviously are further down on the depth chart. Zach Allen played 62% of snaps and Rashad Lawrence played 34%. Hopefully the young guys continue to develop because a lot of snaps are being put on Corey Peters and JJ Watt.

Zach Allen needs to play the least snaps. He's trash.

Regarding Moore/Kirk. I noticed that we sometimes line up empty on one side of the field with 3 WR to one side. So we can use Kirk and Moore there. Plus obviously a bunch of 10 personnel with 4 wides.

I don't think it's either or, we can use both as we did last night where they have close to 200 between them.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure how Kyler thinks this is a TD without the small (and late) helmet grab. The safety is always in a better position to get the ball than Kirk.

Last edited:

Card4Life

Rookie
Reaction score
Hoping Keim will go after a veteran CB since Malcolm Butler retired. We need to shore up the secondary. Granted, if we have a pass rush like we did in our opening game vs the Titans, that can mask some of the weakness at the CB spot. Not sure about the injury status of Marco Wilson, but we are extremely thin.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think some people are being a bit harsh because the Vikings had the opportunity to win and didn't. It's not what happens in the last second that decides the outcome, it's what happens over 4 quarters.

We came back from 2 scores down to lead at the half. When the defense was struggling the offense didn't buckle as they have done in the past. Including Kliff who called a great game and managed the clock well.

In the 2nd half the defense deserves credit for adjusting and really closing down the Vikings. They only had 3 offensive points in the 2nd half and they only got them due to the roughing the kicker flag. The defense really deserves more credit for a great 2nd half, if they played like that the whole game this board would be raving about them.

The issue was, apart from a little of Q3 we didn't have both offense and defense firing at the same time.

I thought Kliff did a good job. He normally puckers up in tight games like this but while not perfect I thought his play calling and game management were much better. I thought he did a good job of getting the balls to guys like Maxx Williams (94 yards! So close to 100!).

The only thing Kliff did that really confused me was not using the his final timeout of the Vikings last drive. He let 20+ seconds run off at the end that we could have had for a slim chance to win the game had they made the kick.

At least he didn't try ice the kicker. It would have been so Kliff to call a TO as he kicked, miss it and then put it in after the time out for us to lose.

For me this was a great all round team win where all 3 phases and some good coaching came together. It wasn't perfect, but football games rarely are. The Titans win was the exception, not the rule.
Great post. Most of us live in a NFL FAIRYTALE land where every play is perfect, every drive is a score and the other team never gets a first down.

Stuff happens. The better teams adjust and overcome. The lesser teams squander opportunities.

Look at the other so called GOOD teams. Seattle blows a 15 point lead at home. Chiefs fumble on what would be a game winning drive needing a fg. Saints after crushing the Packers get demolished.

That is today’s NFL.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how Kyler thinks this is a TD without the small (and late) helmet grab. The safety is always in a better position to get the ball that Kirk.

Yeah, of all the things people have nitpicked, this one has gone pretty unnoticed. Not crazy that he thinks that’s a good play regardless of the helmet swipe. The DB read that all the way and he was late on it.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how Kyler thinks this is a TD without the small (and late) helmet grab. The safety is always in a better position to get the ball than Kirk.

Unless he is leading Kirk back into the end zone and the facemask made him short it.

When I did the rewatch I was blown away how blatant that facemask was.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless he is leading Kirk back into the end zone and the facemask made him short it.

When I did the rewatch I was blown away how blatant that facemask was.

I considered that but there is a DB behind Kirk in close coverage and Kirk doesn't seem to be heading to the EZ.

Kirk seems to be heading right to left initially so I thought maybe Kyler is going to lead Kirk to the left and throw it behind the guy who gets the INT. But the guy who gets the INT only gets it because Kirk is already stopped and he reads the play. Will have a closer look when the all 22 is out.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The alarm bells should start to go off like now. If all the players suck at something is it play calling or talent?