USA v Guatemala

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Well, Gorilla, I would wish you guys luck, but, well...seeing as though I want to beat you guys 5- or 10-nil, I can't do that ;)

Here's to a good game, anyway :beer:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
USA 2-0 Guatemala :thumbup:

Great game by the US! It could have easily been 4 or 5 to 0. They were all over Guatemala in the second half.

I thought the game was poorly officiated, but it was great to see Ruiz get a card for diving. :D

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I will say this, Gorilla...you have an EXCELLENT goalkeeper.

Of course, on rules ALONE, it should have been 4-0 (if we made the penalty). Our disallowed goal was perfectly legal and the handball was BLATANTLY obvious. Unfortunately, the official was poor, to put it mildly. He was poor on both sides of the ball, without favoratism, but poor nonetheless.

All told, we could have easily walked out of here with a 6-, 7-, or even 8-nil victory. That bicycle kick from Johnson...WOW!!! I can only give a bigger WOW to the keeper for saving it. Unreal.

Great game, and just what we needed. I wish we would have at least gotten the third goal, however. It looks like Mexico will win 1-0 (though T and T managed to draw with Costa Rica!), and Mexico will be up 3 points and up 1 in the goal differential as well. Ah, but that's okay...we keep winning, and beat Mexico 2-0 at home, and we'll be in first in the group :thumbup:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I wish Guatemala the best of luck versus Mexico. I have nothing against the Guatemalan side and would like nothing more then them to qualify rather than Mexico or Costa Rica. I hope they win the rest of their games (with the exception of their next game against the US).

The US got the result they deserve. Just think how young this team is...Johnson not quite 21, Donovan 23, Onyewu 22, Gibbs 25, Bocanegra 25, Beasley 22. I still stand by that while I believe we will show well in next years World Cup, in 2010 (in South Africa) we will be a force to be reckoned with since Adu, Gaven and Spector will all be of age to contribute heavily to that team not to mention other players that could emerge between now and then.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
From the Mexico thread...I predicted it!!!!!!

Carlos Ruiz is a stud but he's containable. I think it will be a good game but the US needs to win this one, especially after Sunday's loss. I say USA 2 Guatemala 0.

It was nice to see the team come out with the intensity that they should have against Mexico. The refs let everything go which made me nervous. Great win..Road trip to Salt Lake in June??

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Zeno said:
I wish Guatemala the best of luck versus Mexico. I have nothing against the Guatemalan side and would like nothing more then them to qualify rather than Mexico or Costa Rica. I hope they win the rest of their games (with the exception of their next game against the US).

I am completely with you. Guatemala, for the most part, showed class. I think Ruiz only started whining, complaining, and diving out of sheer frustration, so I'll give him a pass for the night. Mexico and their squad would have been out to injure us in such a loosely-called game. Kudos to Guatemala, and here's to hoping they qualify (though lose to us next time). :thumbup:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Zeno said:
I'd like nothing better than to see Guatemala beat Mexico, but it will be very tough now w/out Ruiz.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Renz said:
I'd like nothing better than to see Guatemala beat Mexico, but it will be very tough now w/out Ruiz.

Yeah, at first I was happy Ruiz got that card, as missing his next game might have helped us. I was severely bummed when I heard the game was against Mexico. Damn!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Gorilla said:
Nice game guys!!! Very bad officiating going both ways.... All in all we got beaten by a better team. As someone said we are lucky it was just 2 - 0.

:thumbup:

:thumbup: You're a very cool soccer (football) fan. Hope your team makes the WC :thumbup: