Upton Called Up!!!!!!!

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Wow...I can't wait to watch him play. Cool!

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Great, I can't wait to see him play this weekend! I don't know if he'll be all that great, but he has to be a big upgrade over Quentin this season at least. :)

HooverDam

Reaction score
What position will be play? (Sorry if a dumb question)

RF for now, or perhaps LF if thats where he feels more comfortable since Byrnes can play anywhere.

I wonder if he'll start today? I doubt it, I'd assume Davannon will start in RF.

EDIT: I kind of hope he doesn't play today, it would be a shame for him to make his debut during a day game thats not on TV that no one can see. Plus I'm sure the flight from Mobile to San Diego has him pretty beat.

Last edited:

Arby

Rookie
Reaction score
Melvin has said that Upton won't start today, but will be available to pinch hit.

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
I'm kinda scared. None of our other young guys have done all that well this year (although Young has the 19 bombs), and Upton is still just 19. I hope it's not too soon.

But, yeah, I'll be watching him play too. :)

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
woot this is great news I hope Upton can do real well for us cant wait to watch this kid play :) Talk about pressure though being called up during a playoff race but hopefully he is our spark

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if they just stuck him in RF for the rest of the year. Having Chris Young and Upton in this lineup for the next 10 years is just a sick thought.... I'm giddy

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I'm kinda scared. None of our other young guys have done all that well this year (although Young has the 19 bombs), and Upton is still just 19. I hope it's not too soon.

But, yeah, I'll be watching him play too. :)

If he doesn't go 4-4 in his first game I will be ready to get him out of here.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I am so excited about this kid. We have to keep expectations realistic but lets also remember that the BEST projections not so long ago were he would be up here in 08.

I think the kid has Griffey potential and I am so excited to see him paired up next to my fav player Young.

Gonzalez or Quentin/Young/Upton futures outfield makes me VERY excited.

No pressure Justin but if you match the hype you just might make the Dbacks relevant in PHX again....

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
woot this is great news I hope Upton can do real well for us cant wait to watch this kid play :) Talk about pressure though being called up during a playoff race but hopefully he is our spark

I think the fact that we are in first place takes all presurre off him. No one is expecting him to carry the offense from day one.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Upton popped up!!!!

Good move by BoMel not to start him though after a double header and a lot of travel, but Im glad he got in the game and got an AB so he hopefully has some of those jitters out of the way.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
:shock:

Guys don't get too excited or anything but i just read this fantasy baseball update on espn.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball/flb/story?page=srinivasanml802

The One Player You Must Acquire

Justin Upton, B.J.'s kid brother, has been called up to The Show. Baseball America considers Justin, hands down, to be the minors' best prospect. It also considers Justin to be better than B.J. Are these fair assessments?

Justin Upton (2007)

TeamABHRRBIBB-KSB-CSAVG/OBP/SLG

Visalia (High-A)12651719-289-4.341/.433/.540

Mobile (AA)259135337-5110-7.309/.399/.556

Melvin (Bossman Junior) Upton (2004)

TeamABHRRBIBB-KSB-CSAVG/OBP/SLG

Montgomery (AA)10421514-283-0.327/.407/.471

Durham (AAA)264123642-7217-5.311/.411/.519

Tampa Bay (MLB)15941215-464-1.258/.324/.409

Well, Justin's birthday is Aug. 25, 1987, so he has played in Double-A this season at age 19. B.J.'s birthday is Aug. 21, 1984, so he played the 2004 season at almost exactly the same age.

A superficial look at the stats suggests, yeppers. Playing in the same league (the Southern League), Justin has hit for far more power and worked the strike zone better. B.J.'s sole edge appears to be as a baserunner. I'd say that edge is distinct, as B.J. has the tools to steal 40 bases. I think 20 would be more realistic for Justin.

Justin's edge isn't as good as it seems, however. The Southern League is a much more offensive league this year (Justin's team's games average 9.40 total runs). When B.J. played there, his team's games averaged 8.53 total runs (10 percent fewer runs). So consider Justin to be a tick or two better than B.J. at the same age.

But I doubt Justin will run into the issues B.J. has (B.J. was just plain misused by the Rays in 2005-06). Justin could suffer through growing pains for the next 2-3 seasons as he adjusts to the majors. But in keeper leagues, grab him NOW. This is the hitter you've been waiting for since you missed on Miguel Cabrera. Justin's combination of age, performance and tools suggest he'll be a consistent .300 hitter with 500- to 600-homer potential.

Justin might not be in the Ken Griffey Jr./A-Rod class as a prospect, but if he can stay healthy, his career totals could be similar to Junior's.

Wow.

Wow.

Only the second wow is mine. That is heady stuff for us D-Backs fans....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen