UPDATE: Watson Suspended 11 games and fined $5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Not totally sure, but I did read that the appeal has to be carried out quickly and that ruling will be binding, per CBA. I would think, though, since Watson is not the one appealing that he wouldn't be able to play, while the appeal is happening...at best, the current 6 games would apply, regardless.
The NFL appeals, and the player then appeals to Goodell. While that might be the final word as far as the NFL was concerned, Watson's team can take it to federal court. I don't think that goes well for the NFL in this case.

This isn't me positing. I heard how the process works on sports radio.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NFL is Goodell and he is the person who decides the punishment. There is no way they appeal to not give more punishment.
Right, but since he is the one who decides, why did they use an independent judge?

You think the NFLPA is going to sit back and let him raise the suspension? I certainly don't.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NFL appeals, and the player then appeals to Goodell. While that might be the final word as far as the NFL was concerned, Watson's team can take it to federal court. I don't think that goes well for the NFL in this case.

This isn't me positing. I heard how the process works on sports radio.
Exactly. Isn't that essentially what happened in Deflategate? I admit my memory is a bit foggy though.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Exactly. Isn't that essentially what happened in Deflategate? I admit my memory is a bit foggy though.
Deflategate was an NFL investigation...they hired a guy to investigate, but the NFL determined the 4 game suspension. NFLPA appealed and Goodell presided over the appeal and upheld the 4 game suspension...Kraft did not appeal any penalties levied on the Patriots.

After Goodell upheld suspension, NFLPA went to Federal court, where it was initially vacated....but NFL went to Federal Appeals court and the suspension was reinstated.

End of the day the NFL won and that is now precedent should NFLPA try to go to Federal court again, regarding a suspension.

Deflategate and Watson are 2 totally different animals, with how they were investigated and how suspensions we're levied.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deflategate was an NFL investigation...they hired a guy to investigate, but the NFL determined the 4 game suspension. NFLPA appealed and Goodell presided over the appeal and upheld the 4 game suspension...Kraft did not appeal any penalties levied on the Patriots.

After Goodell upheld suspension, NFLPA went to Federal court, where it was initially vacated....but NFL went to Federal Appeals court and the suspension was reinstated.

End of the day the NFL won and that is now precedent should NFLPA try to go to Federal court again, regarding a suspension.

Deflategate and Watson are 2 totally different animals, with how they were investigated and how suspensions we're levied.
Thanks for the info. Didn't quite remember how it all went down.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
here's what I don't understand. if Watson had done this to 1 female, it would be 6 games. so... shouldn't it be 6 games per incident? 24*6 weeks, 144 games - suspend him for 8.5 years.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
here's what I don't understand. if Watson had done this to 1 female, it would be 6 games. so... shouldn't it be 6 games per incident? 24*6 weeks, 144 games - suspend him for 8.5 years.
It is six games per offense.

Served concurrently....

Happens every day in America

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
The NFL just needs to wait a week for the next victim to come forward and then give him another 6 games for it. Might be able to do more than 6 even since it's now a repeat offender case.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goodell said they want to suspend him for a minimum of a year because "we saw the evidence." He said that Watson committed several acts, acted "predatory" and that the judge on the case agreed with them on the severity of the acts just not length of suspension.

So it's looking like he will get a year but could actually get more.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it's looking like he will get a year but could actually get more.
Not necessarily… The independent arbitrator they picked to hear the appeal could come back with the same decision as the original judge you just never know…

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
They have the option to take it to federal court, where the NFL can't just shove the hypocrisy of how the owners are given complete free passes versus the players. All his team will need to do is say two words: Daniel Snyder.
Daniel Snyder, Daniel Snyder, I mean Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, wait... Daniel Synder, Daniel Snyder, Daniel Snyder

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think that is fair. Much better than just 6 games.

Hopefully for Watson's sake he can learn from this and become a better person.
lol, what an insane post.

The guy traumatized multiple women & got rewarded the largest contract ever in the NFL

Watson shouldn’t be able to play another down of football again.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol, what an insane post.

The guy traumatized multiple women & got rewarded the largest contract ever in the NFL

Watson shouldn’t be able to play another down of football again.

I believe in second chances. I truly hope he does become a better person because of this. I don't think that is insane.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe in second chances. I truly hope he does become a better person because of this. I don't think that is insane.
You believe in giving someone that took advantage, traumatize, & predate women a 2nd chance?

I wonder if you would say that if that happened to a female family member of yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose