UPDATE: Watson Suspended 11 games and fined $5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They could have cooperated with the NFL, seen him suspended indefinitely and likely ruined his career and they sued him in civil court. They settled and signed NDA's instead. Which is fine, I'd likely do the same, but still those are now done. You can't expect the NFL to make decisions based on incidents that no longer legally exist.

The NFL asked for a full season suspension based on the overall weight of allegations against him, and even then it was likely a publicity stunt, because the Judge could only use the evidence in front of her and previous precedent on suspension.

Look at it this way.

If the whole story was "Watson asked 5 massage therapists for sexual favors" and the details said he asked nicely, they refused, he paid them and off they went. Would you be asking for even a 6 game suspension?

Of course I wouldn't but it wasn't 5 women it was 65 and reportedly there were even more that didn't come forward because of the NDA

and I don't fault the women taking a settlement I have to imagine this whole thing has harmed the businesses of lots of them.

Interestingly his legal issues are NOT over as there's still 4 women who are expected to go to trial in early 2023 against him. I believe those 4 women were NOT part of the review the NFL did specifically because the women were insisting on taking it to trial.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course I wouldn't but it wasn't 5 women it was 65 and reportedly there were even more that didn't come forward because of the NDA

and I don't fault the women taking a settlement I have to imagine this whole thing has harmed the businesses of lots of them.

Interestingly his legal issues are NOT over as there's still 4 women who are expected to go to trial in early 2023 against him. I believe those 4 women were NOT part of the review the NFL did specifically because the women were insisting on taking it to trial.

He settled 3 of the 4 on the day the judge made her decision and the 4th is closing now.

And it was 5. That's it. Did nobody ever watch a legal show? You can only rule on what is in evidence. Everything else doesn't exist.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm not acting like anything. I'm dealing in facts.

He hasn't been convicted of anything and never will. Victims can't have all the money AND all the justice.

Had they not taken the money and testified to the NFL he likely would have been banned for longer.

As it is he's been banned for 6 games for asking for sexual favours without threat or favour to 5 women and lost about $30m last year.

Everything else isn't a factor because they took the money.
My god this is a gross take.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He settled 3 of the 4 on the day the judge made her decision and the 4th is closing now.

And it was 5. That's it. Did nobody ever watch a legal show? You can only rule on what is in evidence. Everything else doesn't exist.

Again it wasn't 5. there were/are 24 complaints and ALL of them accused him of sexual misconduct, that's 24.

All 24 women had accused him of sexual misconduct during massage sessions in 2020 and early 2021, including the first plaintiff, Ashley Solis, who said Watson brought his own towel to the massage session and caused his genitals to touch her without her consent.

You are correct though they settled 3 more cases yesterday and we don't know which one is still active.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It's so discouraging that anyone would try to defend Watson's behavior. The guy is a serial creep, and if he weren't a great QB, he'd be in jail.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again it wasn't 5. there were/are 24 complaints and ALL of them accused him of sexual misconduct, that's 24.

All 24 women had accused him of sexual misconduct during massage sessions in 2020 and early 2021, including the first plaintiff, Ashley Solis, who said Watson brought his own towel to the massage session and caused his genitals to touch her without her consent.

You are correct though they settled 3 more cases yesterday and we don't know which one is still active.

Dude, the only cases that exist from an NFL decision making standpoint are the ones that agreed to testify or be interviewed. Of those 12 only 5 were deemed credible. So there are 5.

Accusations in the media that don't agree to give evidence don't exist.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, the only cases that exist from an NFL decision making standpoint are the ones that agreed to testify or be interviewed. Of those 12 only 5 were deemed credible. So there are 5.

Accusations in the media that don't agree to give evidence don't exist.

The report from the arbitrator is available now via the NY Times. She said the suspensions were NOT about Covid as I speculated they were about the sexual assaults. He was considered to have broken 3 rules of conduct, conduct that qualifies as Sexual assault, conduct that poses a threat or danger to another person, conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity of the NFL.

In the first one she ruled that despite his denials he probably did commit sexual assault using the definition the NFL used. They had contact with him, the contact was intentional and the contact was unwanted, that's the definition the NFL used for sexual assault. So that was a violation of NFL policy.

On the 2nd part she ruled that because they felt threatened and uncomfortable and in some cases it was still impacting them and their careers, that he violated that rule too.

The third was also a violation because he used his status as an NFL player as part of the method to get the massages.

It's actually a fascinating read she says the NFL equated the assaults with violent assaults not because they're the same but because what he did was so unprecedented they literally had nothing else to compare it to, that's why they wanted a full year when precedent was much lower, they didn't believe there was any actual precedent. She also cited Watson's complete lack of empathy or remorse and that he was tardy in reporting the first lawsuit filed. her conclusion is she can't do a whole year because the NFL can't change their policy without prior notice given to the players that the policy is being changed, so 6 games was the most she could give him.

FYI this says it was 4 not 5 women and it says nothing in there that I see about deeming the others not credible it just says they selected 4 women. 12 of the original 24 agreed to be interviewed and of those 12 they selected 4 to use in the case. it doesn't explain why. FYI the way I read it she references the number of overall women who complained multiple times so while she only has testimony from 4, she clearly took into account the totality of it she uses the word totality several times.

The way I read it she wanted to give him a longer suspsension but couldn't because she was bound by the NFL not having notified the players and the association in the past they were changing the policy so that non violent offenses could get longer suspensions too.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

NFL will appeal so assuming they want a worse penalty BRAVO

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

NFL will appeal so assuming they want a worse penalty BRAVO
NFL keeps looking worse and worse at this. The NFL and even the NFLPA gave all of the power to Goddell, and now they are appealing their own decision?

This is beyond stupid.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NFL keeps looking worse and worse at this. The NFL and even the NFLPA gave all of the power to Goddell, and now they are appealing their own decision?

This is beyond stupid.
No… it was An independent judges decision not the NFL’s and they have a right to appeal

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No… it was An independent judges decision not the NFL’s and they have a right to appeal
Thanks, makes more sense.

I doubt NFL will win. While appealed though, can't Watson play?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This is going to go very, very bad for the NFL. Either Goodell weirdly denies the appeal, making them look like idiots, or they try to raise the suspension, and the Watson team nails them to the wall in federal court.

Reactions: TRW

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is going to go very, very bad for the NFL. Either Goodell weirdly denies the appeal, making them look like idiots, or they try to raise the suspension, and the Watson team nails them to the wall in federal court.
This.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't know how the Watson team can nail the NFL, as I believe the CBA gives them the right to appeal.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Don't know how the Watson team can nail the NFL, as I believe the CBA gives them the right to appeal.
They have the option to take it to federal court, where the NFL can't just shove the hypocrisy of how the owners are given complete free passes versus the players. All his team will need to do is say two words: Daniel Snyder.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
First and foremost, my heart goes out to the women that were violated. There may been some therapists that don't mind doing extra during massage and there is judgment here. For the women that felt violated, I wish they would get their justice. But, most of us know they won't. Taking a settlement may be their form of justice. Won't take away the pain, yet hopefully these women can heal and move forward.

Aside from the suspension, court cases, etc., I hope Watson looks for help. If he was with that many women, that's a sign he is dealing with a sexual addiction. It can be as strong as drugs and alcohol. I know it can just seem Watson is a pervert, and that may be true, yet there seems to me an underlying addiction. And for that, I hope he gets help.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I thought that was how all appeals work in the NFL. Definitely could be wrong... I was wrong 4 posts ago, lol.
Not totally sure, but I did read that the appeal has to be carried out quickly and that ruling will be binding, per CBA. I would think, though, since Watson is not the one appealing that he wouldn't be able to play, while the appeal is happening...at best, the current 6 games would apply, regardless.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Judges are hesitant to go against a collectively bargained agreement. The NFLPA may feel they HAVE to sue but, more than likely, will lose. I expect Watson will be out this season, fined a substantial amount, have to get some sort of treatment and have to apply for reinstatement.
Just my opinion, I am not an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose