Update: David Johnson sits out, wants contract extension

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Hahahahaha and so it makes sense to dismiss his wrist??? You want to use his injured wrist to disown his fumbles but you refuse to acknowledge that same injury (which cost him an entire season) might not be concern for fumbles moving forward. Which side of your face are you talking out of next?
If he is fully healed, it's a non-issue.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think DJ's one flaw in his game is fumbles. Some guys get better, some don't.

but if you want to compare, it should be holistic.

LeVeon Bell has had injuries, including a knee surgery, and, he has a substance abuse suspension -- so he is one failed/missed test away from a season (IIRC) suspension.

Elliot also has had a suspension, and plays for an enabling owner. While IMO the best runner of all referenced, is far and away the weakest receiver.

Gurley has had an ACL -- and his second NFL season was one where something wasn't right - health, head, offense.... who knows.

again, this isn't a 'pay the DJ whatever he asks for" -- but the comps all come with risks of their own.

Reaction score
Hahahahaha and so it makes sense to dismiss his wrist??? You want to use his injured wrist to disown his fumbles but you refuse to acknowledge that same injury (which cost him an entire season) might not be concern for fumbles moving forward. Which side of your face are you talking out of next?

Hahahahaha, big difference in playing the rest of the game with a broken wrist & playing after it healed. I only have one face. A bit offensive saying otherwise. No, after the wrist is healed, which it is, shouldn't be any concern moving forward. If you read what I had quoted k9 was going off that he had fumbled twice having only played 3 quarters. Of course you are more likely to fumble if you are playing with a broken wrist not after it has fully healed.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Hahahahaha, big difference in playing the rest of the game with a broken wrist & playing after it healed. I only have one face. A bit offensive saying otherwise. No, after the wrist is healed, which it is, shouldn't be any concern moving forward. If you read what I had quoted k9 was going off that he had fumbled twice having only played 3 quarters. Of course you are more likely to fumble if you are playing with a broken wrist not after it has fully healed.
He broke the wrist in the game. Allegedly on the play where he fumbled a second time.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
He broke the wrist in the game. Allegedly on the play where he fumbled a second time.
Wrong, his wrist was injured on the play directly after Jermaine Gresham BS holding call on the called back touchdown. You can clearly see in the replay the defender’s helmet smashed his wrist... he should never of been put back in the game.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Wrong, his wrist was injured on the play directly after Jermaine Gresham BS holding call on the called back touchdown. You can clearly see in the replay the defender’s helmet smashed his wrist... he should never of been put back in the game.
Okay. So he was only on pace for 16 fumbles in 2017.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
How many fumbles are acceptable by a running back that you're not a fan of?
Let us know when a perfect 100% mistake free player exists. You act like DJ is worth as much to this team as Kulubafi did.

You want to throw the baby out with the bath water because he's only fumble free 98.2% of the time.

You know what stat is better? 32 TDs in 551 touches.

Foolishness.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Okay. So he was only on pace for 16 fumbles in 2017.
This is ridiculous.

David Johnson is the best running back this team has ever had in Arizona. Bar none. One freak shot to the wrist that breaks it, and he has a "pace" for 16 fumbles? This isn't a bungled snap, it's not him holding the ball outside of his body, it's a broken limb. Cripes.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

wrist wasnt broken. it was dislocated. dislocated joints never really "heal" 100%.... doesnt mean it will be a problem for him.. and it was the left, which isnt used quite as much as the right... but it is foolish to not be concerned about future durability.

I am of the opinion we should pay him fairly... but we should also protect the future of the cap.... but having my druthers we would wait until around week 9 or so

keim renegotiating his contract right now is all about good faith and love for the kid...if he were strictly looking at business he would wait, let the kid sit out camp, play the season...see if there are lasting ill effects from the wrist.....

its not just about fumbling with the left..if he has weakness, it may cause him to keep the ball in his right hand while running left, thus exposing it to the defense and opening up the opportunity for more fumbles with his right as well.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
wrist wasnt broken. it was dislocated. dislocated joints never really "heal" 100%.... doesnt mean it will be a problem for him.. and it was the left, which isnt used quite as much as the right... but it is foolish to not be concerned about future durability.

I am of the opinion we should pay him fairly... but we should also protect the future of the cap.... but having my druthers we would wait until around week 9 or so

keim renegotiating his contract right now is all about good faith and love for the kid...if he were strictly looking at business he would wait, let the kid sit out camp, play the season...see if there are lasting ill effects from the wrist.....

its not just about fumbling with the left..if he has weakness, it may cause him to keep the ball in his right hand while running left, thus exposing it to the defense and opening up the opportunity for more fumbles with his right as well.

Maybe...Maybe not, my stance is that he may take less now for financial security versus waiting on what may never happen. I mean that two years of f-tag equal around 30 mil. If you put some cash in his pocket now that may get you 3 years instead of 2.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Maybe...Maybe not, my stance is that he may take less now for financial security versus waiting on what may never happen. I mean that two years of f-tag equal around 30 mil. If you put some cash in his pocket now that may get you 3 years instead of 2.
gonna get 3 for 30 anyway... his 1.8 this year,... then two years on the tag at about 14 each year... the savings would be in the fourth and fifth years

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think DJ's one flaw in his game is fumbles. Some guys get better, some don't.

but if you want to compare, it should be holistic.

LeVeon Bell has had injuries, including a knee surgery, and, he has a substance abuse suspension -- so he is one failed/missed test away from a season (IIRC) suspension.

Elliot also has had a suspension, and plays for an enabling owner. While IMO the best runner of all referenced, is far and away the weakest receiver.

Gurley has had an ACL -- and his second NFL season was one where something wasn't right - health, head, offense.... who knows.

again, this isn't a 'pay the DJ whatever he asks for" -- but the comps all come with risks of their own.
True but each of those players have proved themselves post-injury. DJ has not. The suspension angle is legit. DJ’s a good kid (from what we know) and that does count for something.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s disingenuous to claim K9’s fumble argument was solely based on the injured game. I think he’s adroitly pointed out that as great as DJ has been in his short tenure fumbles were absolutely a problem.

And “healed” is ALWAYS a relative term. And even more so with joints. Granted some people are like Superman and come back from injury no worse for the wear (AP), but by and large those scenarios are the exceptions to the rules. Most do not. And DJ hasn’t proven which he is in regards to the wrist.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
True but each of those players have proved themselves post-injury. DJ has not. The suspension angle is legit. DJ’s a good kid (from what we know) and that does count for something.

My theory on why DJ did all the off season work, but skipped the minicamp

He was showing the team that his wrist is fine-- both weight room and catching passes

Is it exactly like a game situation? clearly no-- but it's also a wrist injury, not a torn patella

Fwiw: The problem with a dislocated wrist per my orthopedist neighbor post recovery is possible loss of range of motion rather than strength. it's the pass catching we should watch for.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
gonna get 3 for 30 anyway... his 1.8 this year,... then two years on the tag at about 14 each year... the savings would be in the fourth and fifth years

Was thinking more like 27 mil over the first three years instead of the 30. If you drop 12 mil on him upfront that is a guarantee As of right now he is only guaranteed 1.8. The contract could still be 5 years 60 mil but the last two are around 15 mil and 18 which he most likely would not see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson