"University of Phoenix Stadium"

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never said they can't continue. I said there is a chance that they won't be around due to the lawsuit currently against them. They could be held liable for millions if not billions of dollars. If you don't see that as a potential problem then there is no point in continuing this discussion.
I don't see it as a problem at all. So the Cards get another sponsor, so what? It's not as if there aren't people knocking down their door to get their name on the place.

NavyVet

Registered
Reaction score
KFYI reports this morning that the TSA is none too happy with the name and they were never consulted with and in agreement before the deal was struck, which is a requirement. As one official was quoted "look for more fun and games on this matter".

LOL...only the Bidwills could screw this up

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KFYI reports this morning that the TSA is none too happy with the name and they were never consulted with and in agreement before the deal was struck, which is a requirement. As one official was quoted "look for more fun and games on this matter".
Good. I hate that name. It's an embarrassment, IMO.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude i know i spelled it wrong. It is ridiculous and a waste of time to point out a wrong spelling. This is a message board not school, i dont need to be graded on my spelling. I am not a troll and am definately not misinformed, so thank you for pointing out that i made an error. You have saved my life! Go Cards.

definitely :cool:

:jedi:

:biglaugh:

Classic BIM post.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y? Because its not "cool"
Yup. Why do you say that with such venom?

And because I'll have to put up with jokes like I hear on Colin Cowheard yesterday: "It's the perfect name: a quasi-university for a quasi-NFL team's stadium."

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No venom at all. Just trying to feel out what you would feel is acceptable. The name certainly isnt an embarrassment. Especially at that price tag which is really all that matters. Just because its not cathcy or cool doesnt qualilfy as an embarrassment IMO.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And because I'll have to put up with jokes like I hear on Colin Cowheard yesterday: "It's the perfect name: a quasi-university for a quasi-NFL team's stadium."

Pariah this team is going to be the brunt of jokes until we win no matter what the stadium name. We should be used to it.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The money makes no difference to me--it's not my money.

From a fan's perspective I'd rather have it be called "Southwest Airlines Stadium" or "Budweiser Stadium" than have a pro stadium named after a college for a team that used to play in a college stadium and sometimes plays like a college team.

Yeah, as a fan I'd rathe rhave my team play in a stadium that sounds cool. Absolutely.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah this team is going to be the brunt of jokes until we win no matter what the stadium name. We should be used to it.
Yeah, but the stadium doesn't have to be the straight-man for the jokes. We don't have to set people up to knock the jokes out of the park.

If we had a home called Harley Davidson Stadium you'd get talk-show callers saying that was the coolest thing ever, not laughing at us shaking their heads saying "only the cardinals..."

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The money makes no difference to me--it's not my money.

From a fan's perspective I'd rather have it be called "Southwest Airlines Stadium" or "Budweiser Stadium" than have a pro stadium named after a college for a team that used to play in a college stadium and sometimes plays like a college team.

Yeah, as a fan I'd rathe rhave my team play in a stadium that sounds cool. Absolutely.

To each his own I guess. It may not be your money. But it is your team. That money in theory will help put a better product on the field for you to root for. The history at ASU is irrelevant as to the new stadium. Really really not an issue as far as Im concerned. Wins are all that matters. If that ever happens nobodys going to care what the name is.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was raised as a Cowboy kid, watched them all the time growing up. I cheered for the Cards as a 1b team for me as the home franchise (even though they were in the same division) until 96 when I went to NAU and started working for the Cards Crew (training camp lackeys) and got to know a lot of the players up close and personal, and the staff. From that point on, I cheered for the Cards and they became 1a to the Cowboys 1b.

I was a hated man in my house as we watched the 98 playoffs and the Cards beat the Cowboys (with that season having me buy single game tickets to six home games and seeing us beat SD on a FG and the bitter cold game against the Giants), and me super excited as the Cards won and my family mad-dogged me to the point of making me eat last and waking me up at 6 am the next day. That was the point where I had no 1a and 1b...and just 1 team I cheered to win.

I became a season ticket holder shortly thereafter (as soon as I could afford it) and have never wavered since. I eat and drink and breathe Cardinals football and am happy for my choice of college because it broke the childhood brainwashing for NFL football. I grew up with the Cowboys, mostly through losing seasons and then tasting glory. The lows are just as low with the Cardinals (1-15 seasons in Dallas) but the wins in Cardinal land are sweeter than any Super Bowl win I was happy about.

Something about the Cardinals just clicked with me...maybe it is the long history of losing and the chance it could turn around, but to me one of the people who made me a Cardinal fan is Lomas Brown...one of the best people I have EVER met, who had the greatest attitude of anyone ever and just a great guy all around. When Lomas left the team I was extremely sad, but I saw with his leaving that I had the same love for his former team that he had, and there is absolutely nothing that could tear me away from this franchise.

So, good for you loving the Cowboys and still cheering for the Cards...maybe one day you will have an epiphany and just abandon all your past for the Red. Yeah, I still have a soft spot for the Cowboys (I'm very rare) but these days I'm faaaaaaaaaaaaar more concerned about how their players perform from a fantasy perspective than whether they win or lose....and I hope they lose so we have a better shot at the wild card and playoffs.

Blast away if you must, but that is a true story of how one guy left the darkside and came to the Redside.

Yeah, but what does Joe Flaherty say about this issue? ;)

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not thrilled about the name either, but it's not my stadium and it's not my money.

I think what's bugging me most is that one's name, it's image - and the reputation behind it - is considered by many to be a prime asset.

The Cardinals evidently placed maximized revenue ahead of all other criteria involving the name of the stadium. I think that, in terms of branding, they may have been better off in the long run keeping the stadium name: "Cardinal Stadium" or possibly connecting it with a much-revered icon (with Cardinal connections) by calling it "Tillman Field."

(With an improved team image comes additional revenue from logo'd merch on both a local and national level. By selling the name, the Cardinals give that away).

Yet the precedent established by other teams is that it's OK to sell the stadium name to a corporate sponsor - and so we become comfortable with RCA Dome, QualCom Stadium etc.

But the thing about "University of Phoenix Stadium" is that the name incorrectly implies that the college's athletic teams play there (and, therefore, it will no longer be the stadium primarily identified with the Cardinals). I think that's what has me most troubled.

Derm

slippery when wet
Reaction score
From the ARIZONA SPORTS & TOURISM AUTHORITY web site:

University of Phoenix Buys Stadium Naming Rights

(Sept. 26, 2006) -- The Arizona Cardinals and the University of Phoenix announced a multi-year agreement on the stadium's naming rights.

The stadium will become known as the University of Phoenix Stadium in a deal in which the university will pay a total of $154.5 million to the Cardinals over 20 years. In exchange, the for-profit education company (NASDAQ:APOL) will receive signage, promotion, advertising, marketing and merchandising opportunities.

The board of directors of the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority, the owner and operator of the facility, will have to approve the deal in a yet-to-be scheduled board meeting next month.

They know more about journalism and how to write a fact filled story than our local newspapers...

MrY

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
All we gotta do is win some frikken games and then the name and the jokes will stop. Nut it up boys, WIN, just WIN

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
All we gotta do is win some frikken games and then the name and the jokes will stop. Nut it up boys, WIN, just WIN

Not with that stadium name they won't. The Astros still get grief over Minute Maid and I believe they were in the World Series last year.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but what does Joe Flaherty say about this issue? ;)

Something like this:

Did you know that many people who cheer for the Cowboys end up DEAD, and that the Cowboys are nothing but raping felons with drug addictions? Why don't you just root for a team with a bunch of nice guys who don't smoke the pot and listen to the Who and their filthy lyrics?

(with an added in "Ya Jackass!") for good measure.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Something like this:

Did you know that many people who cheer for the Cowboys end up DEAD, and that the Cowboys are nothing but raping felons with drug addictions? Why don't you just root for a team with a bunch of nice guys who don't smoke the pot and listen to the Who and their filthy lyrics?

(with an added in "Ya Jackass!") for good measure.

Don't know if you were an SCTV fan. Joe had some really funny characters on that show in the early 80's.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only saw a few episodes of SCTV but Candy was fantastic. I barely remember this as I was really, really little but I remember watching that show late at night, sneaking around. I was like 7 or 8 at the time and probably didn't get half of it. Is that show on DVD sets?

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Can't say I like the name, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I think "University of Phoenix Field" flows a bit better, but whatever.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Yeah, but the stadium doesn't have to be the straight-man for the jokes. We don't have to set people up to knock the jokes out of the park.

If we had a home called Harley Davidson Stadium you'd get talk-show callers saying that was the coolest thing ever, not laughing at us shaking their heads saying "only the cardinals..."

So what should they have done? Said "no" to $154 million?

Our stadium name isn't cool enough! Waaaahhhh!!! That's what a lot of people on here sound like. Let's be completely honest here. Is "Cardinals" really a cool mascot for a football team?

Bottom line: IT DOESN'T MATTER! If we keep losing we will continue to be a laughingstock. If we win, we won't.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Can't say I like the name, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I think "University of Phoenix Field" flows a bit better, but whatever.

Someone else already brought this up (possibly more than one person), but maybe the parent company - Apollo Group - can be persuaded to put THAT name on the stadium instead. Like, "Apollo Group Field at Cardinals Stadium", "Apollo Group Stadium", or even just "Apollo Stadium".

Sounds MUCH better, IMO.

SCTV - loved that show.

"She blowed up good! REAL good!"

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Someone else already brought this up (possibly more than one person), but maybe the parent company - Apollo Group - can be persuaded to put THAT name on the stadium instead. Like, "Apollo Group Field at Cardinal Stadium", "Apollo Group Stadium", or even just "Apollo Stadium".
Why would they do that? The reason The Apollo Group is spending all that dough is to increase enrollment at UOP. Calling it "Apollo Group Stadium" would be a complete waste of the company's money.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard