"University of Phoenix Stadium"

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Someone else already brought this up (possibly more than one person), but maybe the parent company - Apollo Group - can be persuaded to put THAT name on the stadium instead. Like, "Apollo Group Field at Cardinal Stadium", "Apollo Group Stadium", or even just "Apollo Stadium".

Sounds MUCH better, IMO.

SCTV - loved that show.

"She blowed up good! REAL good!"

While I think it would be great, I just don't see it happening. Most people would have no idea that Apollo Group has anything to do with UofP. Do they even own any other mentionable product? Not that I know of Therefore their investment would be worthless to them IMO.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So what should they have done? Said "no" to $154 million?

What if Jerry Jones had offered them $164 million to name it Cowboy Stadium? I guess you would be ok with that because of the money?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a realistic scenario. Is UOP a competitor of the Cardinals? Let's stay grounded, shall we?

Ok how about Hustler Magazine? Its all about the money right? It doesn't matter whose name is on the stadium as long as the Cards win no one will care.

Larry Flynt field at Hustler Stadium has a nice ring to it.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok how about Hustler Magazine? Its all about the money right? It doesn't matter whose name is on the stadium as long as the Cards win no one will care.

Larry Flynt field at Hustler Stadium has a nice ring to it.

How about "Al Qaeda Stadium"?

Or, "Mexican Mafia Stadium"?

"Pedophile Priest Defense Fund Stadium"

I'm sure you can think of other ones very comparable to "University of Phoenix Stadium".

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
What if Jerry Jones had offered them $164 million to name it Cowboy Stadium? I guess you would be ok with that because of the money?

That would be pretty funny, though.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
How about "Al Qaeda Stadium"?

Or, "Mexican Mafia Stadium"?

"Pedophile Priest Defense Fund Stadium"

I'm sure you can think of other ones very comparable to "University of Phoenix Stadium".

Hustler magazine is a legitimate business entity. How do any of those compare?

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
So what should they have done? Said "no" to $154 million?

Yes. $154M sounds like a lot. But it's spread over 20 years. That's only $7.7M per year. They probably make more from that from a single game. (7.7M divided by 63,000 = $122. Including luxury box, surely the Cards make more than that per person). They'll certainly make more than that for the Fiesta Bowl and National Championship Game. To an NFL team, $7.7M is a drop in the bucket. It doesn't even come close to paying for the signing bonus of a top 10 draft pick.

And you act like the choice is between $154M and $0. No, the choice is between $7.7M/year and another company willing to pay $1-10M/year (allegedly the going rate for stadium names).

Last edited:

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Gus, drop some of that in MY bucket - I'll take it

$7.7M is a lot to an individual. Not to an NFL team. According to http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2003/0915/081tab.html, the annual revenue of the Cards is $126M. $7.7M is only a 6.1% increase in revenue.

To a hypothetical family making $50k/year, a 6.1% increase in income is $3.05k. Would you change your name to one that makes you a laughingstock for $3,050?

BTW, here's a list of stadium naming rights deals:

http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/stadiumnames.html

Last edited:

Derm

slippery when wet
Reaction score
The name change would only be for your house, not the name of the kids or the dog. Get someone to pay for the flooring and you've got a deal.

btw, thanks for the link for the info

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hustler magazine is a legitimate business entity. How do any of those compare?

It's :sarcasm: .

I don't really see much comparison between Hustler or UofP either. But, you don't like UofP that's fine. If it bothers you enough, perhaps you can band with like-minded others and drive them out of business. Then, they'll wind up with a new sponsor just like the Astros did.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$7.7M is a lot to an individual. Not to an NFL team. According to http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2003/0915/081tab.html, the annual revenue of the Cards is $126M. $7.7M is only a 6.1% increase in revenue.

To a hypothetical family making $50k/year, a 6.1% increase in income is $3.05k. Would you change your name to one that makes you a laughingstock for $3,050?

Yeah, but it's a 6.1% increase with pretty much zero overhead involved. That's some pretty easy money.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score

Here's a more up-to-date listing, with naming rights for other facilites (not just NFL)...

http://www.sportsvenues.com/pdf/names.pdf

Note: It's a PDF, so ya need Adobe Acrobat...(or Reader)

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. $154M sounds like a lot. But it's spread over 20 years. That's only $7.7M per year. They probably make more from that from a single game. (7.7M divided by 63,000 = $122. Including luxury box, surely the Cards make more than that per person). They'll certainly make more than that for the Fiesta Bowl and National Championship Game. To an NFL team, $7.7M is a drop in the bucket. It doesn't even come close to paying for the signing bonus of a top 10 draft pick.

And you act like the choice is between $154M and $0. No, the choice is between $7.7M/year and another company willing to pay $1-10M/year (allegedly the going rate for stadium names).

Ya gotta remember that with ticket money goes the expenses of running the stadium, so you don't get every dollar of every ticket you sell. With naming rights however, you get every dollar. A lot higher profit percentage.

Derm

slippery when wet
Reaction score
Well, so what?
I don't like UoP and the Apollo Group, especially the founder/CEO. But, big deal. Any large company is going to have lawsuits and many will be justified. Again, this is a sponsorship for naming rights. If they go under (which is doubtful) then so be it. Fruit of the Loom (underwear!) sponsored the Miami Dolphins stadium as Pro Player Park until their bancruptcy. I bet you didn't know about it and probably wouldn't care even if you were informed.

BOLDIN

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am just suprised this is the best we could do... This is a major new stadium that is going to have concerts, the Fiesta Bowl, Cardinals games, the Superbowl... Only 120 Million too over that many years? A 30 second superbowl commercial costs a few million... Your telling me that the Cardinals couldnt get 200 Million or so from a big name company like Coke, Cox, Motorolla, Anheiser! Not only that, but its embarrasing that instead of ASU Sun Devil Stadium, we are playing in University of Phoenix Stadium. THIS IS HORRIBLE. We might as well of taken the Pink Taco stadium offer.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Mueller said the partnership with the professional football team could lead to educational innovations too, including discussion of a sports management degree in conjunction with the Cardinals.
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
Fruit of the Loom (underwear!) sponsored the Miami Dolphins stadium as Pro Player Park until their bancruptcy. I bet you didn't know about it and probably wouldn't care even if you were informed.

Here's the difference. While "Fruit of the Loom Stadium" would have been LOL worthy, "Pro Player Stadium" isn't. In fact, until I read your post, I had no idea that Pro Player was associated with Fruit of the Loom.

But everyone will know that the former Cardinals Stadium is associated with University of Phoenix because the name of the stadium is University of Phoenix Stadium.

Those who don't know what University of Phoenix is will assume that the Cards play at a college campus again.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Fruit of the Loom (underwear!) sponsored the Miami Dolphins stadium as Pro Player Park until their bancruptcy. I bet you didn't know about it and probably wouldn't care even if you were informed.

One small correction: the now-called Dolphin Stadium carried the "Pro Player Stadium" name for a number of years after the bancruptcy happened.

Not sure why.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I only saw a few episodes of SCTV but Candy was fantastic. I barely remember this as I was really, really little but I remember watching that show late at night, sneaking around. I was like 7 or 8 at the time and probably didn't get half of it. Is that show on DVD sets?

Don't know about DVD, but got to believe that something is available.

We get constant replays up here on a comedy channel.

Loved John Candy and Martin Short.

In passing; the whole show was shot in a warehouse in Toronto.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard