Tyrann Mathieu: "No way I'm taking a pay cut."

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Does it matter though? I mean there are guys that play many downs in the NFL but never stand out. Just the fact that he was able to play so many snaps is commendable but doesn't change a thing.

I like him. I don't think it's anybody's fault that his injuries and contract ended up the way they are now. He is not worth his contract. I don't blame him for not wanting a pay cut anymore than the Cards cutting him if he doesn't agree to it.

Last edited:

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He played over a thousand snaps this past year. How many do you remember? Three?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Cardinals CB Tyrann Mathieu will be guaranteed $19 million if he's on the roster at the start of the 2018 league year, March 14.

Mathieu would be guaranteed a $5 million roster bonus, his $5.75 million 2018 salary, and $8 million of his 2019 salary if that happens. Beat writer Kent Somers believes the Cardinals could ask Mathieu to take a pay cut or even release him if he refuses. Mathieu appeared in all 16 games this season for the first time in his career and played more snaps than any other player. Mathieu was Pro Football Focus' No. 44 corner out of 121 qualifiers in 2017, excelling as a pass rusher.

Source: Arizona Republic
Jan 3 - 3:43 PM
I like Mathieu, but pass, ngh.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
TM is listed as the highest paid safety for 2018 per OTC. The 44th highest paid Safety for 2018 is Mike Adams for the Panthers and will get $2,425,000.

TM needs to renegotiate and Keim needs to do a better job on his contracts.
Mathieu had the full backing of the entire org. at the time of signing. Keim merely got the deal done with what was available to extend a core player before he went into Dansby mode.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
A lot of pure hatred for a guy who is a leader on the team and isn't out there slumming it - he's just not the same guy. Can he be? I don't know. But he's probably not worth what he's making now.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Love the player but you can't pay him that much unless you are 100% he returns to form next year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HB was my new favorite player but sadly, injuries have taken the burst out of his game.

Now he’s just small and slow... while making major money. Those three things don’t jive together.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
We're paying Honey Badger money but getting Tyrann production. A shame he's not producing like he used to, but not particularly surprising.

Time to move on.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Send his overpaid overrated self packing and he can take his marshmallows soft buddy Peterson with him.Take both of them anywhere.Time to cull the roster and get eid of coasting high paid veterans
Posts like this shock me, I feel like I'm watching a different league. Is PP a great tackler? No. But a ton of the best corners have been bad tacklers. Does PP absolutely wipe out the other team's best WO every week to an extent that exceeds basically everyone else at the position? Yes. PP is a monster, the Cardinals would be idiots to let him walk unless their goal is to suck.

Reaction score
Seen on the news last night that the Cards approached him about restructuring his contract.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
March 5th is decision day for ARZ right? After that date his salary is fully guaranteed I believe.

I thought it was the 3rd day of the new season which is March 17th. That gives the Cardinals three days to try to trade TM if necessary. They won't want to pay the $5M if they are going to trade or release him.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Posts like this shock me, I feel like I'm watching a different league. Is PP a great tackler? No. But a ton of the best corners have been bad tacklers. Does PP absolutely wipe out the other team's best WO every week to an extent that exceeds basically everyone else at the position? Yes. PP is a monster, the Cardinals would be idiots to let him walk unless their goal is to suck.
This situation seems chock full of uncertainty, coach's opinions, pleasant surprises, big disappointments, potential drama & plenty of rumor and innuendo.

Gotta leave this one in the hands of the coaches and braintrust (They know stuff we don't).

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
some recent HB tweets

interpret as you may.......

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
some recent HB tweets

interpret as you may.......

Think he’s talking about Patrick Surtain Jr signing with Alabama instead of LSU on National Signing Day.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Think he’s talking about Patrick Surtain Jr signing with Alabama instead of LSU on National Signing Day.

Patrick Surtain Jr declared LSU the leader of his recruitment for more than a year. Lots of his family lives in Louisiana and his idol, Patrick Peterson, is a Tigers legend.

And flips to Bama wow...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson