Trump's Election and the Markets

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let me just say that I’m a P&G holder for many years now and their dividend is very high compared to other companies. For the same raw dollar invested between Apple and P&G I get double the dividend every quarter with P&G. I mean everyone needs toilet paper and laundry detergent.

It’s in an IRA though. I think dividend stocks are best in IRAs or 401k.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me just say that I’m a P&G holder for many years now and their dividend is very high compared to other companies. For the same raw dollar invested between Apple and P&G I get double the dividend every quarter with P&G. I mean everyone needs toilet paper and laundry detergent.

It’s in an IRA though. I think dividend stocks are best in IRAs or 401k.

Most of my dividend stocks are in IRA's too. In my regular account I'm NOT in a DRIP setup where the dividends automatically reinvest into the stock, I just pool the dividend profits and put them in a money market or CD to get some interest.

It really depends of course how much your "pot" of dividend stocks is worth. If you just add it up over time in a pool to live off later that would work but to get enough interest to live off it as an annual salary you have to have a very high amount and or very high dividends.

There's a really good group on Reddit that has lots of information on dividend stocks. I've always seen it as a hedge for when the markets are not doing well, but as I get older I see it more and more as a potential income stream too.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Most of my dividend stocks are in IRA's too. In my regular account I'm NOT in a DRIP setup where the dividends automatically reinvest into the stock, I just pool the dividend profits and put them in a money market or CD to get some interest.

It really depends of course how much your "pot" of dividend stocks is worth. If you just add it up over time in a pool to live off later that would work but to get enough interest to live off it as an annual salary you have to have a very high amount and or very high dividends.

There's a really good group on Reddit that has lots of information on dividend stocks. I've always seen it as a hedge for when the markets are not doing well, but as I get older I see it more and more as a potential income stream too.

Look into Merrill Lynch if you'd like purchase securities without the commission. I moved over to them last year and have been happy I don't pay trade fees anymore with the stocks I purchase or sell.

Everything is time in market, if you have the time, it can work. I'm definitely working on building up my income stream, I have about 30 more years until retirement. I figure by purchasing shares in companies who have grown their dividend every year for the past 25-50 years that's about as safe as you can get. CDs or Money Market accounts just don't have a high enough yield anymore, the inflation alone will kill it at 2.5% annually. I don't see anything wrong with having a lot of dry powder if you're already retired and earning enough to live off of but considering my age, I'd rather have my money work for me now.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look into Merrill Lynch if you'd like purchase securities without the commission. I moved over to them last year and have been happy I don't pay trade fees anymore with the stocks I purchase or sell.

Everything is time in market, if you have the time, it can work. I'm definitely working on building up my income stream, I have about 30 more years until retirement. I figure by purchasing shares in companies who have grown their dividend every year for the past 25-50 years that's about as safe as you can get. CDs or Money Market accounts just don't have a high enough yield anymore, the inflation alone will kill it at 2.5% annually. I don't see anything wrong with having a lot of dry powder if you're already retired and earning enough to live off of but considering my age, I'd rather have my money work for me now.

Yeah if you're 30 years away you need to be more aggressive so you're doing the right thing. I'm 52 1/2 so I have some cash just to be a little less risky and I'm putting much of that in CD's and Money Markets just to get SOME interest instead of virtually none in regular savings accounts.

The bulk of my accounts are still in stocks, either individual, ETF, index funds etc.

We opened a brokerage fund about 18 months ago with Wells Fargo and the current broker is telling us we're a little too much in cash there but we did that intentionally it's a small part of our portfolio and we intentionally chose to be less aggressive with that part. It's better than cash but safer than stocks in that account.

I've had a 401K since I was 24, so over 28 years now. Because of changing jobs etc I have 2 IRA's, an inherited IRA, and a Simple IRA. I'm the guy at work who tells all the younger people who will listen to me to put money in their 401K's and take the free money matching from the employer. The easiest way to save money is to have it done automatically for you.

Also we don't have kids so we haven't had to budget for college educations and stuff like that so makes a big difference in our ability to save.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey mods. This is a great discussion but in the wrong place, methinks

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey mods. This is a great discussion but in the wrong place, methinks
Agreed; planned on doing it a few days ago but it's a pita and I was being lazy. Moved to the Trump & markets thread (as you can see, lol).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No worries! :)

Yep I did too thanks for moving it and sorry for the inconvenience.

Crazy day yesterday. Impossible to really say why the markets went up that much but that was a welcome thing for me.

FB even came all the way back from nearly 5% down to slightly up, my gf owns some. It's gone from 195 to actually getting below 150 before closing at 160. That data leak stuff is killing them.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Yep I did too thanks for moving it and sorry for the inconvenience.

Crazy day yesterday. Impossible to really say why the markets went up that much but that was a welcome thing for me.

FB even came all the way back from nearly 5% down to slightly up, my gf owns some. It's gone from 195 to actually getting below 150 before closing at 160. That data leak stuff is killing them.
Once FB gets into the 140's I'll be buying. Always best to take advantage of the weak hands :)

Also, GE has been over-sold recently and would be a great buy in the 12.90 range.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once FB gets into the 140's I'll be buying. Always best to take advantage of the weak hands :)

Also, GE has been over-sold recently and would be a great buy in the 12.90 range.

My GF owns GE too, she's had it for years she bought it at 13 held it up and now is holding it down a few cents. I think it went up today.

The whole market tanked again today, I was out all day so I haven't really figured out why my accounts didn't fall as much as I expected. I only lost about 35% of yesterdays gains.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
My GF owns GE too, she's had it for years she bought it at 13 held it up and now is holding it down a few cents. I think it went up today.

The whole market tanked again today, I was out all day so I haven't really figured out why my accounts didn't fall as much as I expected. I only lost about 35% of yesterdays gains.

I'd avoid GE like the plague. There are better stocks out there right now at a better bargain than GE. Companies who haven't cut their dividends and are still growing them annually.

I think the bull run may be coming to an end, finally.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd avoid GE like the plague. There are better stocks out there right now at a better bargain than GE. Companies who haven't cut their dividends and are still growing them annually.

I think the bull run may be coming to an end, finally.

Yeah she refuses to sell it I've been telling her to do so since it was at 18.

I agree it does seem like this down trend is becoming more real.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I guess it's good I sold Amazon when I did, what with Trump deciding to personally try and bury them. Another example of abuse of power. He actually made a fair point about Amazon and taxes(ironic with Trump) and their use of the post office, but of course the real reason he doesn't like them is Bezos owns a newspaper that has been very critical of Trump.

But he made the stop drop significantly on thursday by tweeting about them and now the White House is denying rumors he's going to go after them with policy changes designed to target Amazon specifically

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I guess it's good I sold Amazon when I did, what with Trump deciding to personally try and bury them. Another example of abuse of power. He actually made a fair point about Amazon and taxes(ironic with Trump) and their use of the post office, but of course the real reason he doesn't like them is Bezos owns a newspaper that has been very critical of Trump.

But he made the stop drop significantly on thursday by tweeting about them and now the White House is denying rumors he's going to go after them with policy changes designed to target Amazon specifically

This article digs a little deeper into the PO's issues. (Spoiler Alert: it's not just Amazon)

https://www.vox.com/2017/12/29/16830128/amazon-trump-twitter-postal-service-feud

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Market down 2% across the board. Tech and Oil taking a hit. Another tweet by Trump, and another down day for Amazon.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This article digs a little deeper into the PO's issues. (Spoiler Alert: it's not just Amazon)

https://www.vox.com/2017/12/29/16830128/amazon-trump-twitter-postal-service-feud

Yeah there's no question as the article said it's not a black and white thing and it's not package delivery that hurts the USPS it's the cost of employees and benefits, and the rapid decline in mail.

My last employer the CEO was a firm believer in saving money and used to advocate using USPS over Fed Ex or UPS for shipping lots of things, we're willing to wait an extra day for it to arrive if we can save 40 to 50% on the cost. As you can imagine most of the company ignored that and insisted on using faster and more expensive shippers.

But as the article said the real reason Trump is going after Amazon is likely that Washington Post article. and today the whole market are tanking and Amazon is down about 5% because again Trump is attacking them.

So the guy who insists not paying much in taxes is him being smart and taking advantage of loopholes, not being greedy, is attacking Amazon for being smart and using advantages of scale to negotiate good deals? Just like the man who paid women who accused Bill Clinton of sexual impropriety to appear at a debate, was at that very time in the process of paying Stormy Daniels to be quiet about having sex with Trump.

He's such a hypocrite. The combination of his trade war, which he says are easy to win and so far he appears to be losing, and his attacks on Amazon are hurting the markets. The real irony here is everyone else is attacking Facebook for their security issues and Trump is attacking Amazon, why? Because FB's lack of security actually helped Trump win the election.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure but I suspect the market doesn't have a lot of confidence in Steve Mnuchin? They announce he's going to China to discuss the pending trade war and tariffs and the markets go from up 175(Dow) to down over 500.

Treasury yield hit 3% for the first time since 2014 too.

Doing a great job of destroying the market for no obvious reason there Trump.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I bought more PM, MO, MMM, and PG. Great, great opportunity to get some dividend paying stalwarts at a 52 week low.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought more PM, MO, MMM, and PG. Great, great opportunity to get some dividend paying stalwarts at a 52 week low.

I bought PG recently too. It's down about 6% since I bought it but I think long term it's a good stock to be in for the dividend.

I also now own 2 different ETF's that are comprised of stocks picked by Motley Fool. I just bought TFMC, or will on Monday it was after close when I placed the order. TFMC is a 4 month old ETF made up of stocks tracking the "Fool 100".

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
I bought PG recently too. It's down about 6% since I bought it but I think long term it's a good stock to be in for the dividend.

I also now own 2 different ETF's that are comprised of stocks picked by Motley Fool. I just bought TFMC, or will on Monday it was after close when I placed the order. TFMC is a 4 month old ETF made up of stocks tracking the "Fool 100".

PG just recently increased their dividend payout by 4% also.

T yield is at 6% right now from the price drop, they're a great income play.

PM and MO recently dropped in price also, they're a buy in my opinion.

I really like MMM too and have started building a small position in them.