Trouble Brewing ???

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
600k is not peanuts to someone who has know to wake up and find trouble. Imagine what trouble you could get into with $600k.

Its peanuts to the club. 600K isnt crap really and should not in anyway shape or form keep a contract from being done.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They were talking about this on the radio today and compared it to Pat Tillman. They spread his guaranteed money (which was peanuts, even then) out over three years. They said he lived across the street and was the only player riding a bike to work. It happens.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing to see here. It is like a player opening his mouth on draft day saying he would play for free...and his agent running to the press to say "He will not play for free."

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing to see here. It is like a player opening his mouth on draft day saying he would play for free...and his agent running to the press to say "He will not play for free."

You must be registered for see images

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
To be honest, it is ridiculous to have zero guaranteed money.

He volunteered himself to take weekly drug tests before anyone even asked the question. Tyrann is not a bad guy.

Every other player in the draft will get something and Tyrann gets nothing? They are treating him like a 2nd class person. Thats BS.

At the end of the day, hes just like every other player. These guys have 5-8 years to make all the money they can to live on for the rest of their life. Tyrann is no different.

They can protect themselves in the contract by saying if you fail a drug test, then we take back your bonuses and whatnot.

To not give him any bonus in the first place is to say you expect him to fail.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Its peanuts to the club. 600K isnt crap really and should not in anyway shape or form keep a contract from being done.

Not peanuts...it's Mr B's ice cream $$$ :mulli:
Believe me every cent counts to that old man ;)

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

He volunteered himself to take weekly drug tests before anyone even asked the question. Tyrann is not a bad guy.

Every other player in the draft will get something and Tyrann gets nothing? They are treating him like a 2nd class person. Thats BS.

At the end of the day, hes just like every other player. These guys have 5-8 years to make all the money they can to live on for the rest of their life. Tyrann is no different.

They can protect themselves in the contract by saying if you fail a drug test, then we take back your bonuses and whatnot.

If anything you can always spread out the bonus through the duration of the contract, but you're right there is no way they can just flat out give zero guarenteed money.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You're roasting them for something they haven't done yet and almost assuredly will not do.

Steve

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
If anything you can always spread out the bonus through the duration of the contract, but you're right there is no way they can just flat out give zero guarenteed money.

If you are spreading it over the contract, and there are clauses in the contract that could void it if conditions are not met, wouldn't that by definition not be guaranteed money?

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Keim has been reported as saying on Sirius radio that he and Mathieu's agent are on the same page regarding the contract. That's good enough for me

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If you are spreading it over the contract, and there are clauses in the contract that could void it if conditions are not met, wouldn't that by definition not be guaranteed money?
Say it was spread into thirds. The first third he would get up front and would be guarenteed. The other 2 thirds would be guarenteed if he is still on the roster for those seasons.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Say it was spread into thirds. The first third he would get up front and would be guarenteed. The other 2 thirds would be guarenteed if he is still on the roster for those seasons.

Then 2/3's isn't guaranteed.

For simplicity, let's say we guaranteed him $600,000, spread over 3 years. He gets $200,000 in year one, year two, and year three.

Since it is guaranteed, he is entitled to the full $600,000, no matter what. If he is cut after year one, we are required to accelerate the remaining $400,000 into his payout and it would all count against the cap in Year 2.

At least that is how it was explained on Sirius NFL radio yesterday morning.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

For simplicity, let's say we guaranteed him $600,000, spread over 3 years. He gets $200,000 in year one, year two, and year three.

Since it is guaranteed, he is entitled to the full $600,000, no matter what. If he is cut after year one, we are required to accelerate the remaining $400,000 into his payout and it would all count against the cap in Year 2.

exactly

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't understand then. For example, right now, on the bottom line of the NFL Network runs the following statement "Jackmon's guaranteed contract money is null and void due to suspension and Jaguars can cut Blackmon without owing him any money, Ian Rapoport reports". And this isn't the first time I've heard of certain violations nullifying "guaranteed money". I've always understood it to mean they are guaranteed the contract money regardless of whether the team keeps them but it's not exempt from contract violations.

Steve

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I don't understand then. For example, right now, on the bottom line of the NFL Network runs the following statement "Jackmon's guaranteed contract money is null and void due to suspension and Jaguars can cut Blackmon without owing him any money, Ian Rapoport reports". And this isn't the first time I've heard of certain violations nullifying "guaranteed money". I've always understood it to mean they are guaranteed the contract money regardless of whether the team keeps them but it's not exempt from contract violations.

Steve

There may be protections against outright violations, I don't know. But if he were cut without violating any part of the contract, I don't think the Cards have any recourse to collect the outstanding balance.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There may be protections against outright violations, I don't know. But if he were cut without violating any part of the contract, I don't think the Cards have any recourse to collect the outstanding balance.

Well, sure, but that's not the point of this running argument regarding guaranteed money. The point some are making is that guaranteed money goes to the player regardless and I don't believe that's the case. Guaranteed means one thing in the OED and quite another when it comes to NFL contracts.

Steve

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Well, sure, but that's not the point of this running argument regarding guaranteed money. The point some are making is that guaranteed money goes to the player regardless and I don't believe that's the case. Guaranteed means one thing in the OED and quite another when it comes to NFL contracts.

Steve

I don't think there is a League-wide umbrella policy when it comes to these kind of things. So what applies to Blackmon may not apply to D Wash or Honey Badger. I am pretty sure the contract itself would stipulate what actions would void the guaranteed money.

The agent will fight to say nothing voids it, while the Cards will fight to insert that language. Until it is negotiated, I don't think anyone knows.

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
If true, it doesn't really make much sense to spend a 3rd round pick on a player and then be afraid to give him the typical guaranteed $$$ that comes with the selection.
This is not a typical signing. It is very high risk. I would spread the signing bonus over each week of the season. If he tests bad, he forfeits the rest of the bonus. This would also give his agent an incentive to keep him straight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard