Trouble Brewing ???

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Per Urban's blog on the Official Card's Site, 4-29-13, he reports that Tyran Mathieu's contract will include no guaranteed money.

In an update, (added to the end of that same blog), Urban notes that Ian Rapaport reports that Mathieu's agent, (the same one Patrick Peterson has), says that they will not accept a contract with no guaranteed money.

My guess would be that the trouble starts here for the Cardinals with the Mathieu draft.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Yep.

So far, not good.

To be fair Mathieu may be willing to sign to what the Cardinals want, but his agent is going to want to be paid.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yep.

So far, not good.

To be fair Mathieu may be willing to sign to what the Cardinals want, but his agent is going to want to be paid.

that makes sense IMO. From what I have read, Mathieu seemed willing to do whatever it takes for a chance. Besides, all he needs to do is not get high, shouldn't be much of a hurdle for him to get his $$$

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
IF Steve Keim told Peter King there would be no guaranteed money, it was a mistake IMO. Be vague and say the Cardinals are protecting themselves via weekly drug testing, but don't put the agent on the spot like that.

People learn from their mistakes, but that is an unforced error if true.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
IMO, much a'do about nothing. A media concocted non-story.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
They said he will still get his money in the form of weekly bonuses. So as long as he is clean he will still get paid.

Regardless, he may stay clean he may not. His maturity will determine that not what his contract says. Either football is important or weed is. It's one or the other. He can smoke all he wants once he retires.

Last edited:

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Negotiation is not trouble. Come on.

Exactly. The Cardinals end game could very well be weekly testing by the team, which no contract has ever had. Based on Matthieu's interviews, he seems to almost want that, as a way to help him. Cards might have to give in the on the guaranteed portion. Got to start high, to meet in the middle.

HotSauce

Veteran
Reaction score
If true, it doesn't really make much sense to spend a 3rd round pick on a player and then be afraid to give him the typical guaranteed $$$ that comes with the selection.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone take a deep breath, sit back and enjoy the ride, then exhale.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The NFLPA should be the Cardinals biggest worry, not his agent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is pretty simple actually. As we know, most of a contract is not guaranteed and the only part that is guaranteed is the signing bonus. Jurecki said yesterday that instead of a signing bonus they want most of it to be a roster bonus instead. If he is on the roster on week one, he gets it. The rest of the contract goes as normal.

BTW, last year Flemming got 4 years, 2.7 million with a signing bonus of 586K. Worst case, Mathieu waits 60 days for his bonus. Two years ago he would not have gotten it until right around then anyways.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/jamell-fleming/

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
IF Steve Keim told Peter King there would be no guaranteed money, it was a mistake IMO. Be vague and say the Cardinals are protecting themselves via weekly drug testing, but don't put the agent on the spot like that.

Steve Keim didn't tell King jack squat about anything in a contract. King got his info from "one league source".

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-n...-draft-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/

Top of page 2.

No one on the cards told King anything about contract info, and the agent himself said they haven't talked to the cards yet about anything contract related. The only thing we know about in terms of contract is what TM has publicly stated to the media about willingness to get drug tested weekly. Drug testing that is allowed under the CBA.

Me thinks King is trying to rock the boat because of on un-named source, then PFT had to chime in on their soap box and made it a bigger issue that it will ever be.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Steve Keim didn't tell King jack squat about anything in a contract. King got his info from "one league source".

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-n...-draft-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/

Top of page 2.

No one on the cards told King anything about contract info, and the agent himself said they haven't talked to the cards yet about anything contract related. The only thing we know about in terms of contract is what TM has publicly stated to the media about willingness to get drug tested weekly. Drug testing that is allowed under the CBA.

Me thinks King is trying to rock the boat because of on un-named source, then PFT had to chime in on their soap box and made it a bigger issue that it will ever be.

Was just going off what Jurecki said. If it didn't come from SK then it is a mountain out of a molehill IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On 4-29-13 Kent Somers wrote in an azcentral blog:

.... Sports Illustrated’s Peter King reported this morning that Mathieu’s contract with the Cardinals would contain no guaranteed money, according to an NFL source.

Not so, said Mathieu’s agent, Pat Lawlor, who called it “ridiculous.” The two sides have not even spoken about money, he said.

Mathieu’s contract should command a signing bonus of around $670,000. What the Cardinals could do is pay that money over the length of the contract ($190,000 a year) instead of up front. They have done that numerous times since the mid-1990s, after two young players, Chuck Levy and Jamir Miller, served suspensions.

Owner Bill Bidwill deemed it better to pay over time, partly because it lessened the problem of recouping the money should the player get in trouble. Better to be out slightly less than $200,000 as opposed to slightly less than $800,000. (It also helped with cash flow, I’m sure).

It sounds like the bonus will be payed over time.

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/k...ing-for-adam-snyder-tyrann-mathieu-contracts/

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is stupid and i call complete BS. Third round draft picks money is complete peanuts.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I don't see a problem. Honey Badger says he will do anything. His agent, who gets paid based on what he gets his client, is the one yapping. If he allows his client to sign for no guarantees, other agents will use that to market against him in the future.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The guarantee at his slot runs between $500k and 700.

I'll venture that he gets it; paid in installments and subject to a few behavioral clauses.

Much ado about nothing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is stupid and i call complete BS. Third round draft picks money is complete peanuts.

600k is not peanuts to someone who has know to wake up and find trouble. Imagine what trouble you could get into with $600k.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
No reason to be worried. With the new CBA this stuff has become simple. If the 1st rounders can't hold out..... Neither can the 3rd rounders.

The contract will be similar to last years pick plus 5 to 10% I would assume. Seems like a no-brainer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort