Netflix acquires Roald Dahl Story Company, securing rights to characters like Willy Wonka, Matilda

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Netflix acquires Roald Dahl Story Company, securing rights to characters like Willy Wonka, Matilda​

Netflix announced Wednesday that it has acquired the Roald Dahl Story Company for an undisclosed figure, giving the streaming giant the rights to the author’s entire catalog of stories and characters.

Netflix confirmed the news in a blog post in which it promised to bring a new generation of fans the magic and wonder of Dahl’s books in a variety of formats including animation, live-action films and TV, publishing, games, immersive experiences, live theatre, consumer products and more.

Deadline reports that the acquisition builds on a partnership previously struck between the two companies in 2018 that gave Netflix access to 16 titles from Dahl’s stories to adapt for animation. Those projects to date include an upcoming series from Taika Waititi and Phil Johnston based on the world of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" as well as an adaptation of "Matilda The Musical."

Although those projects have not yet come out, they now represent merely the tip of the iceberg of content coming to Netflix based on popular Dahl characters such as Matilda, The BFG, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Willy Wonka and The Twits. Netflix notes in its blog post that the stories and characters of the late Dahl, who died in 1990, remain both beloved and relevant, having been translated into 63 languages and sold more than 300 million copies worldwide.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dare NETFLIX to try an adaptation of the sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate factory. So far nobody has ever touched it because it's so freaking weird. Interesting deal either way. I am shocked that the family sold to Netflix. Up to this point, surviving members of the family have said to be notoriously protective of the rights. I guess money talks. All bets are off now.