Trey Mcbride has only 129 receiving yards in 10 starts

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Hmm I get the point you’re trying to make, but comparing a guy who likely ends up with < 200 yards to guys who almost doubled or tripled that seems like a disingenuous argument. Also errs has been gone for essentially 6 games with no other real competition for mcbride and he hasn’t produced what ertz was producing.

I’m still optimistic about the kid, but I certainly see and understand (a) the reasons for concern; and (b) the criticism of the pick.
A. There is no reason for concern. Unless you give credibility to people with minimal knowledge who bitch as a hobby.

B. Criticism is just habitual bitching. Simple fact is Trey McBride may be the only player steve keim ever picked at exactly the right time.

any of y;all ever wonder why teams like the steelers rarely miss a beat season after season?? Its because they draft players before they need them. Why teams seem to have quality young depth and we dont? Its because of the same, 2nd and 3rd year players coming off the bench.

The NFL has operated that way for decades. But folks get enamored with the few rookies who break out right away... they get FOMO, and they want that too....
then suddenly, a guy who develops on a normal time frame is a BUST because he didnt break any records as a rookie.
to expect anything from an NFL rookie drafted outside the top 5 or sometimes 10 picks in the draft is foolish. you get lucky sometimes...maybe a dude drops because his position is low demand. Then occasionally you get the competitive anomoly, the guy who hits a new level when he turns pro... but its not the mean.
the mean tells us, a TE takes 4 or 5 years to develop into a starting caliber player. Most players take3... but TE's take longer.... maybe its the WR/OT combination of skills....
folks see a guy like Kittle that can come from the 5th round and take the league by storm. But Tony Gonzalez only had like 1 catch a year his first 2 seasons... Jay Novacek only hit 500 yards once with the cardinals... like year 4,...had about 200 yds his rookie season. But Kittle went to the niners. a team that focuses on protecting the ball using the run game and high percentage passes. They didnt have a true WR threat to be the go to guy for Jimmy G

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A. There is no reason for concern. Unless you give credibility to people with minimal knowledge who bitch as a hobby.

B. Criticism is just habitual bitching. Simple fact is Trey McBride may be the only player steve keim ever picked at exactly the right time.

any of y;all ever wonder why teams like the steelers rarely miss a beat season after season?? Its because they draft players before they need them. Why teams seem to have quality young depth and we dont? Its because of the same, 2nd and 3rd year players coming off the bench.

The NFL has operated that way for decades. But folks get enamored with the few rookies who break out right away... they get FOMO, and they want that too....
then suddenly, a guy who develops on a normal time frame is a BUST because he didnt break any records as a rookie.
to expect anything from an NFL rookie drafted outside the top 5 or sometimes 10 picks in the draft is foolish. you get lucky sometimes...maybe a dude drops because his position is low demand. Then occasionally you get the competitive anomoly, the guy who hits a new level when he turns pro... but its not the mean.
the mean tells us, a TE takes 4 or 5 years to develop into a starting caliber player. Most players take3... but TE's take longer.... maybe its the WR/OT combination of skills....
folks see a guy like Kittle that can come from the 5th round and take the league by storm. But Tony Gonzalez only had like 1 catch a year his first 2 seasons... Jay Novacek only hit 500 yards once with the cardinals... like year 4,...had about 200 yds his rookie season. But Kittle went to the niners. a team that focuses on protecting the ball using the run game and high percentage passes. They didnt have a true WR threat to be the go to guy for Jimmy G

This. Drafting a TE to replace Ertz after 2023 might be only the 2nd pick he's ever made to replace a guy in a year or two. Which is how it should be done.

Budda for Badger being the 1st.

Ertz has an out after next year. I have no concerns about McBride. He's showing a typical learning curve for a rookie TE that's tasked with blocking.

A lot of TEs that do well year one only run routes.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

(A) You’re right man. No one here has any opinion on football worth a penny. Don’t know what I was thinking.

(B) Everything you do must be either a complete 100% success or an abject disaster with no possibility for anything in between if you honestly think critical analysis is just “habitual bitching.”

Other than having 92 receptions and close to the 1,000 yards his first two years, you were spot on with Gonzales.

No one has any idea what we have long term with this kid yet. He’s shown glimpses. Today was a nice performance for example. But to say anyone criticizing him is just habitual bitching is, well, your own form of habitual bitching I guess.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My son he had his first average game against one of the worst teams in the league in a exhibition match.
7-78 and a touchdown is not an “average game. If so the average tightend would average 119 receptions for 1,326 yards and 17 TDs. At least try to be honest with your arguments.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
(A) You’re right man. No one here has any opinion on football worth a penny. Don’t know what I was thinking.

(B) Everything you do must be either a complete 100% success or an abject disaster with no possibility for anything in between if you honestly think critical analysis is just “habitual bitching.”

Other than having 92 receptions and close to the 1,000 yards his first two years, you were spot on with Gonzales.

No one has any idea what we have long term with this kid yet. He’s shown glimpses. Today was a nice performance for example. But to say anyone criticizing him is just habitual bitching is, well, your own form of habitual bitching I guess.
If we wanted a 2nd-round TE, last year and Friermuth (sp?) would've been better.

OP
OP
S

SteveKeimFan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
True. There aren't many yards after the catch if you ask a T-end to run 5 yards, stop and turn his back to the defence.
he has caught many screens with a head of open field and gone down on the first tackle my son

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This. Drafting a TE to replace Ertz after 2023 might be only the 2nd pick he's ever made to replace a guy in a year or two. Which is how it should be done.

Budda for Badger being the 1st.

Ertz has an out after next year. I have no concerns about McBride. He's showing a typical learning curve for a rookie TE that's tasked with blocking.

A lot of TEs that do well year one only run routes.
The problem is that Keim picking him was for best available talent in his head without thinking about the future and stumbled along being proactive by accident

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Avoiding the family argument at the dinner table, I thought he looked good today, outside of one memorable drop. I hope he gets some attention in the passing game next year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose