Trevor Ariza to Washington for Kelly Oubre and Austin Rivers.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is this deal about saving money?

Well you could just look it up yourself but sure I will do your work for you

Ariza made 15 million

Rivers made 12.6 million
Brooks, who the Suns thought they were trading for made 1.3 million

So that's a savings of 1 million

But Dillon was out and now Oubre is in. Oubre makes 3.6 million so now the Suns are taking on salary

And now we have a buyout of the largest portion of this salary

A buyout is where a player and an agent agree to waive a portion of the contract in exchange for free agency.

So if Rivers thinks he can get 5 million as a free agent he agrees to take a 9 million dollar buy out. He makes 14 million instead of 12 million and the owner saves 3 million

Now Sarver signs a guy for the minimum and banks the difference

So no matter what way this trade plays out, $arver does what $arver does

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Literally the only reason you do a buyout is to save money. The ways to reduce salary in the NBA are only trades where you take on less salary. (Tried that)

Or buyout someone rather than trade them (did that)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was definitely disappointed with Ariza, but the GM who pursued him and sold him on Phoenix and the plan was fired before the season even started.

all the reports were that he was FA #1 targeted by Koko personally. He at least shares the blame for that brain fart,.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Rivers was a salary filler. Why would anyone want him cutting into Melton’s development? Might as well stick with Craw who everyone likes.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I PROMISE you Oubre won't be here by 2019. This is a pure salary dump.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score

Ariza made 15 million

Rivers made 12.6 million

But Dillon was out and now Oubre is in. Oubre makes 3.6 million so now the Suns are taking on salary

A buyout is where a player and an agent agree to waive a portion of the contract in exchange for free agency.

So if Rivers thinks he can get 5 million as a free agent he agrees to take a 9 million dollar buy out. He makes 14 million instead of 12 million and the owner saves 3 million

Salaries are prorated, so the Suns would owe under $9 mil on Rivers, and I have not seen any reports about him giving back any money.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ariza made 15 million

Rivers made 12.6 million

You are wrong.

The original trade was Rivers 12.6 + Selden 1.5 + Brooks 1.4. that is 15.5 million. So that trade actually cost Sarver 500K more than Ariza.

We also don't have #s on the Rivers buyout yet. He will not get a penny more than the vet's min from another team so I doubt he gave up much cash, but we will see. Now the Suns will have to sign another player that will at least be the vet's min. So where is all of this money that Sarver is saving?

The $arver take is tired.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Ariza made 15 million

Rivers made 12.6 million

Why are you assuming that (Rivers's buyout) + (Oubre's salary) is less than what Ariza's buyout would have been?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And here will come the parade of excuses by the same people who made the same excuses all summer

Rivers was just there to make the salaries work (that made sense with Brooks. It doesn't with Oubre.)

Rivers isn't any good and this is addition by subtraction

Ariza isn't any good and this is addition by subtraction.

Oubre was who we wanted the whole time.

If Rivers sucks or is just filler, then why do you need to make this trade right now? Find a better offer. Wait til the deadline and maximize the deal.

Oubre isn't who we wanted at all. We wanted a guy on team control for a year at basically vets minimum.

If you think Ariza sucks, then get the best deal for him.

It's just about the money if the Suns were trying to get 2 pieces and ended up with neither

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Literally the only reason you do a buyout is to save money. The ways to reduce salary in the NBA are only trades where you take on less salary. (Tried that)

Or buyout someone rather than trade them (did that)

Or they didn't want to cut anyone currently on the roster.

Rivers is terrible with a huge ego, not a good mix for this team. Don't really care what the motives are, just glad he won't be suiting up.

OP
OP
SweetD

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Why are you assuming that (Rivers's buyout) + (Oubre's salary) is less than what Ariza's buyout would have been?

I am sure the Wizards added cash to the deal to allow the Suns to complete the buyout. I am ok with the move but, I am still holding out hope there is a deal for a PG on a rookie deal coming soon.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Salaries are prorated, so the Suns would owe under $9 mil on Rivers, and I have not seen any reports about him giving back any money.

The difference between a buyout and a waiver is a waiver is guaranteed for the full deal. A buyout is where both parties agree the player takes less money

So yes by using the term "buyout" he gave back money

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
And here will come the parade of excuses by the same people who made the same excuses all summer

Rivers was just there to make the salaries work (that made sense with Brooks. It doesn't with Oubre.)

Rivers isn't any good and this is addition by subtraction

Ariza isn't any good and this is addition by subtraction.

Oubre was who we wanted the whole time.

If Rivers sucks or is just filler, then why do you need to make this trade right now? Find a better offer. Wait til the deadline and maximize the deal.

Oubre isn't who we wanted at all. We wanted a guy on team control for a year at basically vets minimum.

If you think Ariza sucks, then get the best deal for him.

It's just about the money if the Suns were trying to get 2 pieces and ended up with neither

I don't think they are excuses. We are just pointing out it's not that big of a deal, and there is zero evidence this is motivated by cutting cost. Ariza was just not very good. Suns are better without him, and I don't think there was a huge market for him.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I am sure the Wizards added cash to the deal to allow the Suns to complete the buyout. I am ok with the move but, I am still holding out hope there is a deal for a PG on a rookie deal coming soon.

I hope so too, but I just don't see it.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or they didn't want to cut anyone currently on the roster.

Rivers is terrible with a huge ego, not a good mix for this team. Don't really care what the motives are, just glad he won't be suiting up.

If you believe that, then you never trade for him unless the entire reason was to

Save money

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Salary dump of an expiring contract for a greater amount of salary in return?

Except again it isn't because of the buyout.

The only reason you do a buyout is to save money for the owner. Otherwise you just waive the player.

It can't be more clear than the very definitions of the actions.

Yes I don't know the specifics down to the dollars but I understand the base motivations.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are looking at the end of this trade, where the Suns ended up with NEITHER player they initially agreed upon and still did the deal and think it was about basketball...

You are doing some incredible mental gymnastics to try to feel better about the way things are.

And you can tell me that you think this move didn't matter or it was addition by subtraction and I will say again then this isn't about the product on the basketball court.

If it was then you make a move where you actually get some asset beyond this year or you make the subtraction earlier despite the money.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If you believe that, then you never trade for him unless the entire reason was to

Save money

They weren't trading for him, they were trading for Brooks and settled on Oubre. Rivers salary was just a necessity for the trade to go through.

But if people want to put extra heat on Sarver for it that's fine by me, I have no love loss for him. As I said I'm just happy Rivers won't be on the team regardless of the reason why.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know that it was but I don't really care if this was just a salary dump. Does someone really believe there was a trade for Ariza out there that would make much of a difference for us? And are we supposed to be surprised or pissed that the Front Office (Sarver) would rather not throw away money for nothing and would jump at the chance to save money?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except again it isn't because of the buyout.

The only reason you do a buyout is to save money for the owner. Otherwise you just waive the player.

It can't be more clear than the very definitions of the actions.

Yes I don't know the specifics down to the dollars but I understand the base motivations.

Most buyouts are the remaining contract less the vet minimum. Players rarely get to double dip and they certainly don't give back guaranteed money unless they know they'll get it back. The Suns took back in more salary in the trade. They may save a vet min amount with the buyout, but they'll give it right back with the empty roster spot they have to fill.

Once we have the numbers you'll see this trade will be a net increase to the Suns payroll.

Again, the $arver take is old. There are plenty of other valid criticisms.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can excuse decisions made to make the team better but are ultimately poor. At least you are trying to get better. You are setting a culture of improvement for your organization. And that example really matters.

So if you traded Ariza for Rivers and you thought "Well at least at worst Booker is happy"

That at least is a reasonable if not flawed motivation. People can relate to that. That is an attempt to demonstrate to your players you have an interest in improving.

Nothing about this was about improving.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can excuse decisions made to make the team better but are ultimately poor. At least you are trying to get better. You are setting a culture of improvement for your organization. And that example really matters.

So if you traded Ariza for Rivers and you thought "Well at least at worst Booker is happy"

That at least is a reasonable if not flawed motivation. People can relate to that. That is an attempt to demonstrate to your players you have an interest in improving.

Nothing about this was about improving.

Maybe. I don't really know why we made the deal. I never believed we wanted Rivers but if we did, it was just one more bad decision by the front office. My guess (and it's just that), we wanted Ariza out as soon as possible but didn't want to create another PR mess. After the player we wanted fell through, we settled on Oubre figuring he was at least possible value down the road. I doubt he'll give us much in return either as a player or a trade chip but we didn't want to drag it out and give this trade debacle another press cycle.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We paid Ariza 15 million, he provided next to nothing, supposedly a few teams were chomping at the bit to take him off our hands.

I'm not all that surprised Sarver's new lacky GM was instructed to get the thing done ASAP.

It miiiiiight not be the case, but I don't see how the Suns liking Oubre was what clinched the trade when he was originally going to Memphis.

That said, I don't give a crap that we dumped Rivers, he's a turd.

I am thrilled about the direction the current roster is trending though, it's hard not to be. I like Koko and I hope the upswing is the roster starting to piece together what he wants of them.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson