Tragedy strikes WWE. Chris Benoit is dead (Not a gimmick)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You called it, O.

Sad stuff. :|

Actually my girlfriend was channel surfing last night and we saw 2 WWE spokespeople talking about this. They said the actual medical evidence shows this was NOT a case of roid rage or even really steroid abuse. All 3, Benoit, his wife and son, had xanax in their systems. The steroid that Benoit had in his system was largely synthetic testosterone which was consistent with testosterone replacement therapy.

The testosterone, a synthetic version of the primary male sex hormone, is considered an anabolic steroid. The state's top medical examiner said it appeared to have been injected shortly before Benoit died.

Dr. Kris Sperry said there was no evidence of any other steroids in the wrestler's body, and nothing to show that steroids played a role in the death of Nancy and Daniel Benoit. He also said the boy appeared to have been sedated when he was asphyxiated, and Benoit's wife had a "therapeutic" level of sedatives in her body.

Sperry said there is no consensus that the use of testosterone can contribute to paranoia, depression and violent outbursts known as "roid rage."

I didn't hear the whole thing but they were saying it was not a case of steroids causing him to snap, although certainly abuse of steroids could have led to paranoia which led to him going on Xanax.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Actually my girlfriend was channel surfing last night and we saw 2 WWE spokespeople talking about this. They said the actual medical evidence shows this was NOT a case of roid rage or even really steroid abuse. All 3, Benoit, his wife and son, had xanax in their systems. The steroid that Benoit had in his system was largely synthetic testosterone which was consistent with testosterone replacement therapy.

The testosterone, a synthetic version of the primary male sex hormone, is considered an anabolic steroid. The state's top medical examiner said it appeared to have been injected shortly before Benoit died.

Dr. Kris Sperry said there was no evidence of any other steroids in the wrestler's body, and nothing to show that steroids played a role in the death of Nancy and Daniel Benoit. He also said the boy appeared to have been sedated when he was asphyxiated, and Benoit's wife had a "therapeutic" level of sedatives in her body.

Sperry said there is no consensus that the use of testosterone can contribute to paranoia, depression and violent outbursts known as "roid rage."

I didn't hear the whole thing but they were saying it was not a case of steroids causing him to snap, although certainly abuse of steroids could have led to paranoia which led to him going on Xanax.

yeah, i dont see this as being a case of roid rage. but i'm not going to say that steroids didnt have some sort of involvement.

a guy in a fit of roid rage DOES NOT sedate their wife and son before they kill them. i think Benoit had some emotional and psychological problems caused by the drugs he became so dependant on.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
a guy in a fit of roid rage DOES NOT sedate their wife and son before they kill them.

Are you sure about that? From what I understand, "roid rage" is an overall emotional state which could include depression - not necessarly uncontrolled aggression. The "rage" part in the name may give a false impression.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, i dont see this as being a case of roid rage. but i'm not going to say that steroids didnt have some sort of involvement.

a guy in a fit of roid rage DOES NOT sedate their wife and son before they kill them. i think Benoit had some emotional and psychological problems caused by the drugs he became so dependant on.

Right I strongly suspect abuse of steroids led to him taking Xanax which is highly addictive and has all sorts of potential side effects.

What a crazy sad story this whole thing is.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Right I strongly suspect abuse of steroids led to him taking Xanax which is highly addictive and has all sorts of potential side effects.

What a crazy sad story this whole thing is.

Considering the targeted age group of it's consumers, the steroid culture in wrestling is a sad and dangerous situation.