TRADES

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Coby White when he was in college. I wanted the Suns to draft him. He has not developed like I thought he would in the NBA. Maybe he gets a bump in stats playing with two guys who can provide gravity for him to score?
Coby is a bust, unfortunately. I wanted the Suns to draft him also but he hasn't an ability to score well, run an offense efficiently, or defend at the NBA level. He's has stars of some level to take pressure off him in Lavine, DeRozen, and Vucevic. I know those guys aren't at Booker or KD's level but they are All-Star talent that draw attention and should have made White's job easier but he doesn't seem to have it. I'd take a flyer on him but I suspect he's a Cam Payne of sorts, he'll get a few opportunities to prove himself but if he doesn't step up then he'll be in China sooner than later.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That's love!

Wild that Coby 'slipped' to the Bulls, Jones "reached" for Cam... if that draft were done again, Cam goes in the top 5 and who knows where White goes.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That's love!

Wild that Coby 'slipped' to the Bulls, Jones "reached" for Cam... if that draft were done again, Cam goes in the top 5 and who knows where White goes.

I love that video. I was high on Coby headed into that draft and that video after the fact proved he was a good kid with the right attitude. Definitely happy with how things ended up, Suns with Cam and him being a legit player, but really would like to see Coby succeed simply because he seemed to want the same for Cam back then. Maybe he ends up on the Nets as they could use a good PG or combo guard since Dinwiddie isn't it and Cam Thomas was a flash in the pan.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way Coby appreciated Cam Johnson's hard work moves him a notch higher on my board. It shows he knows hard work when he sees it.

He is still only 22 so there is plenty of time for him to improve if he has the work ethic.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way Coby appreciated Cam Johnson's hard work moves him a notch higher on my board. It shows he knows hard work when he sees it.

He is still only 22 so there is plenty of time for him to improve if he has the work ethic.
Hard to believe. I'd forgotten how young he was when he came out.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Coby is fast for his height especially! He doesn't use this enough in my opinion. But floor spaced, he can definitely drive from the three area.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I understand D'Angelo Russell will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.
Yeah as a unrestricted free agent with not so much recent success but playing with Book may cause him to be more motivated and he may not be in demand or demand top money so he we could kick the tires on him.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Yeah as a unrestricted free agent with not so much recent success but playing with Book may cause him to be more motivated and he may not be in demand or demand top money so he we could kick the tires on him.
With what cap space? According to Yahoo Sports' Jake Fischer, Russell was reportedly trying to get a four-year deal worth "upward of $100 million" from the Minnesota Timberwolves prior to his February trade to L.A. He is not taking the midlevel, which is $5M as the roster currently stands. You trade for him you are hard capped, never going to happen, get over it.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score

Cam was recruited to by White and Pinson
I'm curious if Sarver cheaped out on our medical staff. Wouldn't surprise me at all. We had a renowned athletic and medical staff just a few years ago and then Sarver let Aaron Nelson leave to go to New Orleans.

I'm not saying Payne will be healthy under a new team but I hope Ishbia looks at that department and makes some improvements. We've suffered some questionable injuries the last few years, which happens, but part of where I think Sarver could be involved is how often timetables for players returning were vague, wrong, and much longer than other players dealing with similar issues around the league. W

A comparison to the IRS tax code is about right.

I'm not sure how the NBA owners got a CBA that equates to hard cap from the players union. Also, it is more complicated.
The owners let the players smoke their weed and eliminated weed drug testing, which was very high on the players wish list. Just because you can put a ball through and red hole doesn't make you a good negotiator or even slightly intelligent.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I love that video. I was high on Coby headed into that draft and that video after the fact proved he was a good kid with the right attitude. Definitely happy with how things ended up, Suns with Cam and him being a legit player, but really would like to see Coby succeed simply because he seemed to want the same for Cam back then. Maybe he ends up on the Nets as they could use a good PG or combo guard since Dinwiddie isn't it and Cam Thomas was a flash in the pan.
How much better is White vs Payne? If he makes more than Payne i'm out.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
CP3 had an efficiency rating of of 17.7 to DLO's 16.3. They were not that far apart. DLO has had an efficiency rating as high as 19.9 (2019). So, I think he can be that player depending on the system and who is coaching him. He averages 6.2 Assists per game. He is no Chris Paul but who is that will be available and you can get? He is going to also give you close to 20 PPG. I am not saying DLO is the answer but you have to at least kick the tires on it if you can pull it off. He is likely going to be too expensive.
He is also going to take shots away from Booker and KD, there is a reason the Laker benched him. Let the new CBA play out, the Suns are not the only team F'd by the new CBA, there might be a lot of movement this summer. The Suns cannot go into the second apron, they get hammered with so many penalties.

Who? Just look at New Orleans, BI is up for a huge extension. Can't do it under the new CBA without going into the second apron. they are 4 million from the tax as is. Want to keep Alvarado? Valenchunes? Right there have to make some calls, does CJ go? Likely. When is the last time a team like NO has paid the tax?

Who else is F'd? OKC, there is no way they are going to keep their 4 studs. SGA, Giddey, Chet and Williams. All those guys are 40-50m guys.
Wizards F'd
GS majorly F'd
Boston F'd
Lakers F'd
Clippers all F'd
Nuggets F'd next year
Minn F'd next year

The Suns are not the only team that will need to figure out their salaries. But you need to understand in the new CBA you get two super stars and everyone else fights for the balance of $70m. That's why Paul or Ayton has to be gone, they make way too much.

Now, I am not a fan of James youtube Jones I don't think he understands rosters that well (I also don't think Ishbia is that fond of Jones either, I think it would have been a bad look if both Monty and Jones were **** canned), so I am sure he will just keep brining back former Suns. But a really good GM would be able to make some savvy moves to build around your primary scorers. IMO the Suns have one of the best situations, you don't need scoring, you need two way role players that protect and spread the floor for your two top 10 scorers.

Last edited:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I'm expecting that the new working paradigm for the NBA is going to be that lots of vet players on currently big contracts (like CP3 and well, quite a few others younger than him) are going to have to start recognizing that they will be taking pay cuts to stay in the league.

Someone else can make a list of guys who are likely to be impacted, but lots of guys in their late 20s hitting UFA in the next few years may be finding that going overseas is going to be a more desirable option than it once was. NBA teams are going to start building around draft picks and younger project type guys as the bulk of their rosters, with vets who are willing (or forced) to take historically lower pay also fitting in. Veterans with egos too big to be willing to take less money are going to end up on the outside looking in.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Ideally a draft pick from an ayton trade.

this team needs youth and a player who has upside.
I've noticed high motor teams who trap and play hard on defense seem to be the trend. That's why teams like the Suns with older more skilled players can get brought down to the teams like the Pelicans who use high energy to keep you from scoring. Same thing in the WNBA. Which is why the Mercury have trouble. They are just like the Suns.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That won't help us win next year, which is essentially the window. The KD trade really put this team in a pickle. It's all or nothing next year.
You think we would keep a first round pick longer than a season following our recent history? :shrug:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How about Ayton and Paul to the Celtics for Brown, Brogdon, and Gallinari (ACL repair)?
In a heartbeat. But I’d be shocked if they did it. Would Ayton even start over Robert Williams who is their defensive anchor?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How about Ayton and Paul to the Celtics for Brown, Brogdon, and Gallinari (ACL repair)?

No GOD NO.

Brown is exactly what we don’t need a mid range shooter who can’t shoot the 3 who flat out disappears in the big game. Brogdon is done

Doesn’t Brown want 50 million a year.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
No GOD NO.

Brown is exactly what we don’t need a mid range shooter who can’t shoot the 3 who flat out disappears in the big game. Brogdon is done

You seem to be completely ignoring our giant CP/Ayton problem. You're not going to trade them for sure things, and will likely have to take a chance of some guys.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You seem to be completely ignoring our giant CP/Ayton problem. You're not going to trade them for sure things, and will likely have to take a chance of some guys.
But it's not going to be for a guy we cannot sign for. I believe it will be someone(s) we will take chances on, but not at that potential salary.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You seem to be ignoring the giant contract and injury issues that your going to be inheriting from Boston

If you got a problem with Ayton getting 30 million you’re gonna lose your **** when Brown wants 50 million and when was the last time Brogdon was actually healthy for a full season and the playoffs?

Listening to Bill Simmons today and they kinda feel the same way about Brown we do about Ayton. He comes and goes. Simmons saying they flat out cannot give him the money he wants and it’s time to move on.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
No GOD NO.

Doesn't everyone want 50 million a year? Of course a young player is going to say he wants as much money as he can get.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose