Trade speculation: Justin Jefferson to Arizona Cardinals

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Late to the party here but I think it would be absolutely ridiculous to make a big trade for Justin Jefferson with the way our roster is constructed, and how much help we need to even slightly compete.

Cousins, Hockenson, Cook, and Justin Jefferson didn't form a championship team... we'd be trying similar with Kyler, McBride, Conner, and JJ too, but diminishing draft capital and cap space to help the rest of the team.

There are amazing talents at WR available to us at #4 and plenty of draft assets to build an affordable, balanced team. I see no reason to trade for Jefferson and hand him a huge bag.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Late to the party here but I think it would be absolutely ridiculous to make a big trade for Justin Jefferson with the way our roster is constructed, and how much help we need to even slightly compete.

Cousins, Hockenson, Cook, and Justin Jefferson didn't form a championship team... we'd be trying similar with Kyler, McBride, Conner, and JJ too, but diminishing draft capital and cap space to help the rest of the team.

There are amazing talents at WR available to us at #4 and plenty of draft assets to build an affordable, balanced team. I see no reason to trade for Jefferson and hand him a huge bag.
Have a seat Solar....

are you sitting??

I wholeheartedly agree with you brother. You are completely right on this one.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No reason? Other than the fact he's one of the best in the league and 24? Oh yeah, other than those factors.
Do you think he's the piece to us winning a chip with this roster that's still in shambles? Trading away multiple 1st rounders and maybe more? Because I sure don't.

1500 yards on average is great for fantasy but if we can't stop anyone or put anything else around him and Kyler, what's the point?

Seriously, we have a generational talent sitting right in front of us who might be just as good for 1/4th of the price tag or less, plus more picks on the way to help out.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have plenty of cap space.

How do you plan on building a solid roster? Strictly through the draft? You STILL have pick #4, and your WR need would be immediately solved. We could easily trade down and acquire more picks if you acquire JJ.

We need stars and sure things - a 24 year old that averages 1500 yards a year certainly qualifies. Again - you CAN use FA and trades (in addition to drafting!) to
Draft MHJ and have a star and then at 27 maybe another one and then in 2005 maybe another while not hitting the cap as hard as JJ.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Anticipating a star at 27 in year 1 or 2 is pure hopium.
But is anticipating a solid player at 27, with a controlled cost, hopium? And then following him up with another solid player just 8 picks later?

Or, we could use 27 to fall back into another top pick of the 2nd round, knowing that Bo Nix and Michael Penix could be valuable to the Giants, Falcons, Vikings and Raiders who want that 5th year option. And probably pick up another 3rd or 2025 1st.

We're a team who needs lottery tickets to rebuild more than we need to make splash moves to get over the hump.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
If you could get JJ for pick 27 plus, you do that every day. It's not like JJ is Marquise Brown. Let's say Drake May(Marvin gone) is sitting there at 4 and the Vikings offer their 1st round pick, #11 I think, and JJ. Do you do that?

I think I would very likely take that trade.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
If you could get JJ for pick 27 plus, you do that every day. It's not like JJ is Marquise Brown. Let's say Drake May(Marvin gone) is sitting there at 4 and the Vikings offer their 1st round pick, #11 I think, and JJ. Do you do that?

Now that is a no brainer, IF as you say MHJ is gone. Shoot, #4 and, say, swap seconds and maybe give our lowest third would be a do.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Of course you do that. It would mean the Vikings have lost their mind and the Cardinals are happy to take advantage of their weakened state.

However there is ZERO chance the Vikings offer JJ in any trade like that. ZERO!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Draft MHJ and have a star and then at 27 maybe another one and then in 2005 maybe another while not hitting the cap as hard as JJ.
If you trade for JJ with 27 and a future first, you can then trade #4 down for additional picks, while also having one of the best WR in the league locked up. JJ is much more of a sure thing than anyone you draft.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
But is anticipating a solid player at 27, with a controlled cost, hopium? And then following him up with another solid player just 8 picks later?

Or, we could use 27 to fall back into another top pick of the 2nd round, knowing that Bo Nix and Michael Penix could be valuable to the Giants, Falcons, Vikings and Raiders who want that 5th year option. And probably pick up another 3rd or 2025 1st.

We're a team who needs lottery tickets to rebuild more than we need to make splash moves to get over the hump.
Disagree. We need actual NFL talent so we can see actual improvement, not lottery tickets. Pinning your hopes to the draft vs adding young, proven, star NFL talent is pretty silly.

The hypocrisy of the board on this matter is funny. One on hand you have pretty much everyone admitting the draft is a gamble, a crap shoot at worst and blackjack at best. However, those same people are arguing against giving up those gamble draft picks in favor of a 24 year old player at a premium position which helps Kyler, fills a need, and is one of the top 5 players at his position in the NFL.

I mean, the hope is MHJ comes close to JJ level, but it is far from guaranteed.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
JJ is a proven star. Keyword-- proven.

more than you can say for a player(s) that havnt been drafted yet

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
And yes, to those that need to hear this, we all understand this is an unlikely scenario, an Jefferson is probably staying in Minnesota.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard