Top 7 Players in the NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by offset, Apr 12, 2019.

1. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

So. Who best fits that bill? Maybe Malcom Brogdon. That’s about it. The next best player is already on our roster in Tyler Johnson.

2. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I haven't watched White or Garland play that much but the injury to Garland worries me some. Neither have great assist to turnover ratios. Have to like the height on White like GatorAz mentioned.

3. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

Why, oh why, do people here keep proposing to play Tyler Johnson at the point, when he has proved time and time again that he is not a point guard, and when even in the two good games we played with him, we still had to revert to the usual disaster that is Point Book?

Talk about an overreaction to two miraculous wins against good teams where we had to come back from huge deficits. We also won at Milwaukee on November 23rd. Why don't we stick with that line-up while we're at it?

4. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

It is not from now, Chap. From three lead Point Guard to no lead Point Guards didn't just begin. Chaos at the position has been going on for years.

This is time to assess the Point Guard situation. If we use our top pick on a Point Guard this year, I am all for drafting Ja to learn behind a veteran Point Guard.

That would be a luxury. But a veteran Point Guard remains a necessity . . . AND use our top pick on another necessity. A real Power Forward (which would be much quicker for a rookie to handle).

Yes, I want to see the Suns have their cake and eat it, too. And to finally fill both of their needs, not just one a year. Isn't that what a fan should hope for?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  5. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

And again, you and your group love to harp on the need for a veteran point guard but not provide any REALISTIC options. And let’s face it, the only realistic options aren’t even starter level.

Krangthebrain likes this.
  6. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

Heh, I have them on ignore, but I am guessing the response is going to be, "It's not my job to know the specifics. Jones gets paid to know that." I've tried reasoning with those folks before. It always comes back to, "Uh, I don't know who, it should just be somebody good."

Chaplin likes this.
  7. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

Collison and Teague should be attainable in free agency, and while neither is a star, both are perfectly adequate for what we need from the point guard position.

Walker would be ideal, but I know it isn't realistic to expect him to go anywhere than Charlotte, New York, Brooklyn or Boston.

Brogdon might be attainable, since the Bucks gave Bledsoe his extension.

If Brooklyn signs Walker or Irving, we should go after Russell.

Conley would be fine as a stop gap until a younger point guard develops.

Rose might be as well, though I am wary of his injury history.

Lowry might be available in trade if Toronto flames out in the playoffs.

Jrue Holiday might also be available in a trade.

Kris Dunn is almost certainly available in a trade.

Enough options for you?

BC867 likes this.
  8. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Ben Simmons?

Edit: Klutch Sports :mad:

9. offset

offset i have a special purpose

Man, I tried to start a pure draft thread since every other Suns thread seems to devolve into the same thing... oh well.

10. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

We're one month from the lottery, once that takes place I think everyone will focus on the pick more. Last year gave most of hope, even if we won't admit. We actually moved up for a change and know that it's possible. If we don't stay in the top 3 though I think the vast majority here will be calling for a trade. At that point we can have 2 dedicated threads, one for trade proposals and one for if we keep it.

Of course if we get #1 then we'll probably all be talking about wrapping Zion in bubble wrap and getting him a security detail to make sure nothing happens to him before we can add him to our team.

11. SunnyBaller

SunnyBaller Registered

PJ Washington is gonna be a steal just wait and see!

12. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I like him but he feels like John Wallace to me.

13. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I think the national title game probably cost Jarrett Culver of Texas Tech quite a bit of money as eh was thoroughly dominated by DeAndre Hunter. He was a projected lottery pick going into the final 4, probably fell out because he had so much trouble getting his shot against an NBA level defender.

14. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

Different positions, but yeah. Culver doesn't fit the Suns' needs, anyway. Hunter, on the other hand, might project as a stretch 4 and has a long enough wingspan and enough weight to play a new age power forward, in my opinion. By comparison, Shawn Marion was 6-7, 220, Hunter is 6-7 225, and Draymond Green is 6-7, 230.

15. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Some were apparently projecting Culver as a combo guard that might morph into a PG but way off of that, he can only go right and he showed very little ability to shake Hunter off the bounce.

With Draymond the thing you have to remember is his reach, he's got something like a 7'2" wingspan. He's not exactly a great leaper but he's got exceptional timing on blocking shots, he either leaves his feet early and gets the shot before the shooter elevates, or he waits to the very last second and gets it.

Hunter is interesting, against Purdue he couldn't begin to slow down Edwards, the little freshman PG from So Cal for UVA Kehei Clark did a much better job on him because he was able to stay close enough to bother him, Hunter tried to play off and use his length and Edwards scored repeatedly on him. But against Culver, Hunter just completely kryptonited him. He's also improved offensively, he has an interesting future I've seen people compare him to Kawhi Leonard. Kawhi was an undersized 5 coming out of HS, so they didn't start from the same place but I think they have some similar skills. I think Kawhi is bigger and again he just has remarkable timing on defense.