Top 5 movies since 2000

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was me. I still recommend it to friends and get huge thank-you's. That is a great.....GREAT....... GREAT Documentary.

Did you see Man on Wire Cheese?

you know, I tried watching Man On Wire back in the my marathon movie back surgery months, but it just didn't take for some reason.

my favorite King Of King convert hast to be nashman. I remember coming on here and praising the movie as the greatest thing since sliced bread and he just went nuts on me and everyone else who loved the movie... without ever seeing it. then he saw it and totally flipped out on how good it was.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
It's annoying because I'm constantly being berated for not liking it. I've sort of embraced being the villain when it comes to TRT.

Gadda, you left us a loaded comment !!!!!!!

You sly dog!

You don't have to like it. Hate it all you want.

I would apologize for commenting on the fact you don't like it, but I was lead into that bear trap. :D

But seriously, there are plenty of people who don't like that movie, its cool.

Different strokes!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
It means the cinematography was transcendent and the dialog was primarily free of anachronisms.

Uh...hmmmm. Sorry man, sorry to be literary challenged, but I have no idea what that means. Could you type it in binary, engineers like numbers !

You felt like you were in Depression-era Mississippi, and not just watching a movie about it.

Oh!!

Gotcha. I agree it did.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
In your opinion, of course. Waiting for the statistics to prove your point...

yep about 130.000 people didn't think it was very good either and isn't this thread basically begging for statistics? it's basically a survey for the top 5 and many people simply don't rate Royal Tennenbaums. I watched it like 10 years ago and can barely remember it.
It is fair to say it's not a great movie because what makes a truly great movie? I'd guess the fact that most people agree on a movie being extremly good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
yep about 130.000 people didn't think it was very good either and isn't this thread basically begging for statistics? it's basically a survey for the top 5 and many people simply don't rate Royal Tennenbaums. I watched it like 10 years ago and can barely remember it.
It is fair to say it's not a great movie because what makes a truly great movie? I'd guess the fact that most people agree on a movie being extremly good.

Ok, but that doesn't say why you dislike THIS particular movie. You simply dislike it because there are a few other people that don't like it? Or that you can't remember it? If you can't remember it, how do you know it was bad?

And I mentioned statistics as a joke, since it's the only thing you talk about on the sports boards.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
1. Warrior (HIGHLY UNDERRATED)
2. Donnie Darko
3. Wedding Crashers
4. Dark Knight
5. Requiem For a Dream

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1. Warrior (HIGHLY UNDERRATED)
2. Donnie Darko
3. Wedding Crashers
4. Dark Knight
5. Requiem For a Dream

I hate making these lists because I always feel like I'm forgetting something but Warrior and TDK would be absolute locks for me.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think any movie who's script is nominated for an Academy Award is probably regarded at the least as extremely good. Might not be your cup of tea, and it might not be great to you, but that doesn't mean it wasn't great for a lot of other people.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep about 130.000 people didn't think it was very good either and isn't this thread basically begging for statistics?

lol... why is this thread "begging for statistics". The question asked is what are YOUR top 5 movies since 2000. Not what are THE top 5 movies since 2000. What does anyone else's list have to do with another person's list?

and what does "130.000 people didn't think it was very good either" even mean?

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
absolutely hated royal tenenbaums ..... seems like something I would have/should have liked - I just found it horrible

I should have known because I also hated Rushmore

Then for some idiotic reason I was sucked into wanting to watch Life Aquatic and sure enough, hated that as well

Since then I've vowed to avoid all of that stuff

Wes Anderson and I are not friends ...... then again, I can't stand Owen Wilson or Jason Schwartzman either

I find his movies annoying because there a couple moments that they show that make me think I'll like it, get me to watch it and I wait through the whole movie to find something to like - but end up hating it all .... that to me is why the movie is annoying

As for top 5 - would be a little bit tough because I can't remember half the movies I've seen over that time or remember which of the 5 I would really want to watch over again - so there may be some flux in there

However - an initial stab may lead me to

Supertroopers (for some reason I thought this was in the 90s) - this is my fun, quotable, comedy and it doesn't feature will ferrell in any way, shape or form

O Brother (another I thought was the 90s) - I love the dialogue, the music, the feel of the movie - this one just kind of hypnotizes me when it's on and I can't help but watch it and feel good about it ...... plus I was always one of those guys who much prefered homer to shakespeare

Dark Knight - captivating film - big fan of this one - a Batman movie done right and would hold my top spot for a period of time that has seen the resurgence of comic movies - many of which I've really enjoyed

Eternal Sunshine - actually watched this the same day I watched life aquatic - this made up for that disapointment

Toy Story 3 - it's a movie I can watch with my daughter when she wants to watch a movie - in my younger days I couldn't get into the toy story hype ... however, now that I'm older and have kids and actually sit and watch them I find them to be enjoyable - a lot of good themes in here for all ages

thinking back there are a ton of movies I've liked in this time frame - just not too many I've watched more than once ..... movies like the Wrestler, Inception, Lincoln, Black Swan, Star Trek, Ironman, Avengers, Hangover, Girl Next Door, Sideways, Slumdog - documentaries on Kong, the Salton Sea, Fishbone, Jim Jones and GasLand .... I also realize I still haven't watched Man on a Wire and many other films I've wanted to see

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
1. Gladiator
2. Donnie Darko
3. Snatch
4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
5. Requiem For a Dream

The Lives of Others and Oldboy would get my foreign film nominations.

Too bad 1999 can't be included because Fight Club and American Beauty would make my list.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There Will Be Blood (Intense)
Hurt Locker
Let the Right One In
Dark Knight
Dragon Tatoo
No Country

Anybody ever see Lars and the Real Girl?

I liked Lars and the Real Girl. Thought it was unique and amusing in a sick kinda way.

Liked revisiting this thread. Have some free time on my hands and wanna check out some of these flicks I've missed.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Tough call beyond my top 3...

1)Gladiator
2)Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
3)Children of Men
4)Road to Perdition
5)Moon

Honorable mention:
No Country for Old Men
The Departed