Today’s Chatter Pick 3 (04/06/23)

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Im just curious...but lets say Houston takes Anderson at #2.

We get offered a deal from Tennessee2 1sts, 2 2nds, 1 3rd and Malik Willis (who then starts for us until Kyler returns...but should be able to handle a similar style of offense)

Its the biggest move down that we are seeing rumored, but I might be willing to take that if Anderson is gone.
If Anderson gone I’d jump on that

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

We get offered a deal from Tennessee2 1sts, 2 2nds, 1 3rd and Malik Willis (who then starts for us until Kyler returns...but should be able to handle a similar style of offense)

Its the biggest move down that we are seeing rumored, but I might be willing to take that if Anderson is gone.
I don't want a scrub QB.

I'd rather get another 3rd.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
To add to you point it would mean that 3 of the top 4 QBs were sitting on the board with Indy, Seattle, Detroit, Vegas, Atl, and Ten all sitting there behind us. One of those teams is going to offer us the farm to move up and they "their guy"....who they will say they had as the #1 QB all along anyway. (Stroud).

As much as I love Will Anderson, I think there would be very little sting for us in this situation. The haul would be massive

BTW, if I was Houston I would for SURE take Anderson at #2. I would wait and see if Richardson lasts until 12...if not get another starter on defense and offer up a package of mid round picks for Trey Lance.
If Houston waits on a QB, they are dumb.

I'm not a fan of Stroud or Young that much, but the Texans HAVE TO start taking stabs at fixing QB. There is no guarantee they get a shot at Caleb or Drake next year. And both those guys have such a high ceiling that only teams with the very best QBs should pass on them...and none of those teams will be in position to draft either of them.

As much as Keim screwed a lot of things up, his move to Murray from Rosen was the right call...and more teams should absolutely do that.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I don't really care too much for Malik Willis, but yes, I'll take two firsts, two seconds, a third and a player with upside to move back, if all it takes is going back to 11.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

In this scenario, we would be in the catbird seat, and it would cost more than that. Add in next year's 1st.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I'd jump on that even if Anderson is still there. But they would have to really be high on Richardson to make that offer with Anderson still on the board.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
In this scenario, we would be in the catbird seat, and it would cost more than that. Add in next year's 1st.

I would think the deal from Tenesee would have to be massive.

2 Firsts, 2 Seconds, 2 Thirds and probably a player that is decent.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trade back with the Colts for #35.

Then trade back with the Lions to #6 and #48, #55 and Josh Paschal. I don't think you're getting 18 for a 2 spot trade for an Edge.

This gives up #6, #34, #35, #48, #55, #66 and #96 in the top 100 and a 23 year old DE that the Lions drafted in the 2nd last year that they really don't need.

And it keeps Anderson away from the Seahawks.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s funny how all us ASFN expert draft evaluators know how good player A or player B is going to be.
Especially when a player shoots up the board because of his combine workout.
The 3rd pick in the draft doesn’t gaurantee an All Pro player. Why did Micah Parsons last until the 12th pick?
Selecting Anderson with the 3rd pick seems like a safe pick.

But if we are drafting 11th could Van Ness, Smith or Murphy be the next Micah Parsons? Could getting the extra picks we land trading down get us a guy like Dockett or Boldin? Not to mention what we might do with two first round picks next year.

We are all shell shocked by the Cardinals recent drafts. Half of us will be sure we selected the wrong player or made the wrong trade.
I believe we are going to learn about this rookie class THIS year.

I said the day MO was hired we were going to trade down and I will be shocked if we don’t. I also believe we are going to see the players we select will fit the mold of what this regime is looking for. I don’t think we are going to see a 5’9” Wr in the second round.

Buckle up boys and girls. I think many here will have blisters on their fingers before the first round is over.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It’s funny how all us ASFN expert draft evaluators know how good player A or player B is going to be.
The 3rd pick in the draft doesn’t gaurantee an All Pro player. Why did Micah Parsons last until the 12th pick?

But if we are drafting 11th could Van Ness, Smith or Murphy be the next Micah Parsons? Could getting the extra picks we land trading down get us a guy like Dockett or Boldin? Not to mention what we might do with two first round picks next year.

We are all shell shocked by the Cardinals recent drafts. Half of us will be sure we selected the wrong player or made the wrong trade.

I said the day MO was hired we were going to trade down and I will be shocked if we don’t. I also believe we are going to see the players we select will fit the mold of what this regime is looking for. I don’t think we are going to see a 5’9” Wr in the second round.

Buckle up boys and girls. I think many here will have blisters on their fingers before the first round is over.
+1

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score

I am totally tempted to go the "more swings at the bat route" and try to load up this roster with 2-4th round talent that can actually play in the NFL and become legit 2nd contract players.

The problem I have with that approach this year is that a top 5 pick SHOULD be very rare, and if you get the chance to draft in that position you should shoot for the moon with a potential superstar.

People point to the Pats trading down, but those were always late picks. When they did get a top 10 pick they drafted guys like Richard Seymore and Jerrod Mayo.

I think Anderson is THE guy in this draft for us. He fits a need, his production and potential warrant a top 3 pick, and he has great character it seems as well. If we can trade down with the Colts and still get him fine, otherwise dont get cute...pick the potential HOFer.

We still have pick #34 and 2 3rd rounders...and potentially players like DHop, Ertz, or other to trade with.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I am totally tempted to go the "more swings at the bat route" and try to load up this roster with 2-4th round talent that can actually play in the NFL and become legit 2nd contract players.

The problem I have with that approach this year is that a top 5 pick SHOULD be very rare, and if you get the chance to draft in that position you should shoot for the moon with a potential superstar.

People point to the Pats trading down, but those were always late picks. When they did get a top 10 pick they drafted guys like Richard Seymore and Jerrod Mayo.

I think Anderson is THE guy in this draft for us. He fits a need, his production and potential warrant a top 3 pick, and he has great character it seems as well. If we can trade down with the Colts and still get him fine, otherwise dont get cute...pick the potential HOFer.

We still have pick #34 and 2 3rd rounders...and potentially players like DHop, Ertz, or other to trade with.
Good post and excellent points

Stout

Reaction score

Right there with you. When I found out we had the 3rd pick, I started looking into who we might draft, knowing a QB was off the table. When I realized there was a top-tier pass rusher head and shoulders above the rest, I felt that was a no-brainer pick for us. It still is. You always have late risers, the "wow, check out his body" and the "hey, he has such raw talent" guys with low floors that tend to flame out. I'd like us, firstly, not to get fooled, to go with the top edge (Anderson), and secondly, to resist the temptation to go for more shiny things (later picks) and take the top edge player.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

It doesn’t have to be either/or. They will hold an NFL draft in 2024, and the cards will likely have a top-15 pick in that draft also.

The difference is whether you want to have mediocre teams with good talent at the top or mediocre teams with no talent at the top. We can trade out of pick 8 in 2024 years and collect an extra third or whatever.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Right there with you. When I found out we had the 3rd pick, I started looking into who we might draft, knowing a QB was off the table. When I realized there was a top-tier pass rusher head and shoulders above the rest, I felt that was a no-brainer pick for us. It still is. You always have late risers, the "wow, check out his body" and the "hey, he has such raw talent" guys with low floors that tend to flame out. I'd like us, firstly, not to get fooled, to go with the top edge (Anderson), and secondly, to resist the temptation to go for more shiny things (later picks) and take the top edge player.
I was leaning Jalen Carter before everything in the pre-draft process went upside down. I'm gonna be kinda salty if we end up with Anderson or a trade back, the Seahawks take Carter, and he proceeds to wreck us for a decade plus.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
What would Keim do? He would take Anderson. He almost never traded down and almost never acquired future picks.

A new approach with the weak roster he left for his successors seems appropriate in my opinion. Whether the new regime can actually draft NFL talent remains to be seen. But at least the 10-year nightmare of draft incompetency is over. :newcards:

Stout

Reaction score
What would Keim do? He would take Anderson. He almost never traded down and almost never acquired future picks.

A new approach with the weak roster he left for his successors seems appropriate in my opinion. Whether the new regime can actually draft NFL talent remains to be seen. But at least the 10-year nightmare of draft incompetency is over. :newcards:
lol So staying put and taking the top non-QB player would be a nightmare of draft incompetency and a Keim move? I say again, lol

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
lol So staying put and taking the top non-QB player would be a nightmare of draft incompetency and a Keim move? I say again, lol
The coaches would have sat him for the first year then played him at MLB.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
It doesn’t have to be either/or. They will hold an NFL draft in 2024, and the cards will likely have a top-15 pick in that draft also.

The difference is whether you want to have mediocre teams with good talent at the top or mediocre teams with no talent at the top. We can trade out of pick 8 in 2024 years and collect an extra third or whatever.
I think your correct in that it doesnt need to be either/or because we really should be looking at this as a minimum 2 year roster rebuild.

We have a top 3 pick and 4 picks in the top 100 right now. Next year, I would put money on us picking in the top 10 again, and we own all our picks.

I dont care what combination of picks, trades, and moves up and down they make....as long as we are able to add 5-6 impact players...guys that we will want on this team for a 2nd contract. That is what forms the "core" of a team.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I dont care what combination of picks, trades, and moves up and down they make....as long as we are able to add 5-6 impact players...guys that we will want on this team for a 2nd contract.
This year or over the next two years?

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
This year or over the next two years?
2 years.

We might get some contributors in later rounds.....but we need a core. To me that would come from the top 4 rounds of the draft this year and next. We need to hit on about 66% of those picks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA