To Those who don't see the advantage of a new coach

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Now, let me start by saying that I am not for firing mid-season, but a change needs to be made. Anybody read the article Michael Lewis (Moneyball author) wrote about Bill Parcells in the New York times?

Link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/29/s...em&ex=1162180800&en=30052628a57571c2&ei=5087

Here is an exerpt that caught my attention and was pimped on the Herd this morning.

"Parcells didn’t see the Hart-Antuofermo fight in person but was told about it, years ago, by a friend and boxing trainer, Teddy Atlas. It stuck in his mind and now strikes him as relevant. Seated, at first, he begins to read aloud from the pages: how in this fight 29 years ago Hart was a well-known big puncher heavily favored against the unknown Vito Antuofermo, how Hart knocked Antuofermo all over the ring, how Antuofermo had no apparent physical gifts except “he bled well.” “But,” Parcells reads, “he had other attributes you couldn’t see.” Antuofermo absorbed the punishment dealt out by his natural superior, and he did it so well that Hart became discouraged. In the fifth round, Hart began to tire, not physically but mentally. Seizing on the moment, Antuofermo attacked and delivered a series of quick blows that knocked Hart down, ending the fight.

The Redskins video is still frozen on the screen behind Parcells. He is no longer sitting but is now on his feet. “This is the interesting part,” he says, then reads:

“When the fighters went back to their makeshift locker rooms, only a thin curtain was between them. Hart’s room was quiet, but on the other side he could hear Antuofermo’s cornermen talking about who would take the fighter to the hospital. Finally he heard Antuofermo say, ‘Every time he hit me with that left hook to the body, I was sure I was going to quit. After the second round, I thought if he hit me there again, I’d quit. I thought the same thing after the fourth round. Then he didn’t hit me no more.’

“At that moment, Hart began to weep. It was really soft at first. Then harder. He was crying because for the first time he understood that Antuofermo had felt the same way he had and worse. The only thing that separated the guy talking from the guy crying was what they had done. The coward and the hero feel the same emotions. They’re both human.”

When Parcells finishes, he says: “This is the story of our last game. We were Cyclone Hart.”

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Arizona Cardinals have quite. Maybe not individuals, but as a whole, as a team, they have played the past two weeks as if their season was over when Chicago won. Without 53 guys who refuse to accept this season's continued losing as their fate, we will end up 1-15. It is a reflection on the coaches when players accept defeat instead of fight it.

pinnacle

Reaction score
Thanks for posting...nice article.

After reading this article....I determined that if it is left up to the coaches in our next game (against the cowboys)....Parcells would beat Dennis Green by a score of 100 - 0.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So someone needs to punch Green in the stomach until he quits?

pinnacle

Reaction score
this appears to be a relevant quote from Parcells that seems to apply to our football team:

“Losers assemble in little groups and bitch about the coaches and the system and other players in other little groups. Winners assemble as a team.”

these quotes are kind of funny...

During practice Parcells says little, but what he says tends to make an impression. (To defensive end Kenyon Coleman, after a mistake: “You just happy to be here again, Kenyon? Ain’t gonna last long this year!” To the rookie wide receiver Sam Hurd, after he runs the wrong route: “Not good, Sam! I’m trying to get comfortable with even the idea of putting you in a game.”)

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
I do love some of the quotes and how the players hang on the hope of his approval. They seem like little school girls hoping bobby passed a note saying he liked her during homeroom.

I think a lot of it is his players see how important the game is to him and how important perfection is. That translates into them wanting the same thing.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I didn't see a team that had quit Sunday. I saw a bunch of guys put in position to fail and making it worse by shooting themselves in the foot. I don't think I've ever seen so many players on the same team run into each other, drop passes, or overrun plays in pursuit.

On one play Cooper, trying to get off a double team, knocked Hayes down allowing a huge gain on a draw play.

If you guys think the Cardinal players are dogging it please point out specific plays and players so I can see it as sometimes I miss things focusing on other areas of the field.

Watching other teams set up on offense and defense and then watching the Cardinals set up I wonder what in the world our coaches are thinking.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Funny. One person reads the NY Times article and feels it justifies firing Coach Green.

I read the article and came away with the opposite feeling - namely, that losing teams are characterized by having a number of players who, when faced with adversity or pressure, will turn turtle and quit.

If we fans are ready to quit on the players and coaches by the mid point of the season, what does that say about us? Aren't we contributing to the so-called "culture of losing?"

There is no magic wand that will turn things around. Winning teams grind their way thru adversity. We're all in this together. (This includes the fans and our head coach).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny. One person reads the NY Times article and feels it justifies firing Coach Green.

I read the article and came away with the opposite feeling - namely, that losing teams are characterized by having a number of players who, when faced with adversity or pressure, will turn turtle and quit.

If we fans are ready to quit on the players and coaches by the mid point of the season, what does that say about us? Aren't we contributing to the so-called "culture of losing?"

There is no magic wand that will turn things around. Winning teams grind their way thru adversity. We're all in this together. (This includes the fans and our head coach).

:thumbup:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

The problem is that we don't have a winning team. We are fans of the sports franchise with the worst record in the history of professional sports.

We've been grinding for years, some of us for decades, with nothing to show for it.

There's an old joke motto that goes: "If you truly believe that effort will make up for lack of talent there's no end to what you can't do" and I'm starting to think that it might not be such a joke after all. The Cardinals will do that to you.

Derm

slippery when wet
Reaction score
We've been grinding for years, some of us for decades, with nothing to show for it.

hair loss from stress
decaying liver due to high levels of alcohol consumption due to stress
leather skin from SDS
severe twitching from stress
bad stomach from stress
no money from buying cartons of Tums due to stress
herniated disc from carrying the goal post down Mill Ave.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

With all due respect fans feelings have ZERO impact on teams. The only effect fans can have is during a game when they get so loud the other team gets a false start.

When players talk about fans in a negative manner it's because things aren't going well and the players are looking for someone to point the finger at.

Fans have every right to feel cheated when a team that could easily be 4-4 or even 5-3 is 1-7.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all due respect fans feelings have ZERO impact on teams. The only effect fans can have is during a game when they get so loud the other team gets a false start.

When players talk about fans in a negative manner it's because things aren't going well and the players are looking for someone to point the finger at.

Fans have every right to feel cheated when a team that could easily be 4-4 or even 5-3 is 1-7.

:thumbup:

OP
OP
C

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score

No, I read an article and felt that it voiced what I believe is going on with the Cardinals team now. Justification for firing Green is his record and not performing to the level a team should demand.

And it is the JOB of the leader (the Coach) to make sure this does not happen.

So if we keep allowing our team to perform on a lower level than we expect we are contributing to the culture of losing? It sounds like we are refusing to take it.

No, giving up on Green is not quitting. It has been the better part of 3 years, not 6 games. Being held accountable is not quitting, and Green should be held accountable.

The point of the article is that new coaches with a new message (see Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy, Brad Childress etc) can take a team with few "improvements" and be remarkably better. Message CAN and DOES change team perspective.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort