To Steve Keim: Take the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE!

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If KK didn`t think He can work with Rosen then he is in the wrong place IMO.How do you know KK doesn`t think o r like Rosen for his QB?
That's not my point. I do think that he "likes" Rosen. I just believe that the skillset and man crush he has on Murray makes him "love" the kid. I just think that has to be the obvious thing in all of this..I agree with TJ. We aren't even talking about this without the interview he had and in other ones how much he gushes over the kid. But that's also why i think it's a slam dunk. We shall see..

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
That's not my point. I do think that he "likes" Rosen. I just believe that the skillset and man crush he has on Murray makes him "love" the kid. I just think that has to be the obvious thing in all of this..I agree with TJ. We aren't even talking about this without the interview he had and in other ones how much he gushes over the kid. But that's also why i think it's a slam dunk. We shall see..

check out the FLutie interview Jetstream posted.Flutie likes Murray and brings up some thing about being a short athletic QB.All in all fairly positive for Murray.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
check out the FLutie interview Jetstream posted.Flutie likes Murray and brings up some thing about being a short athletic QB.All in all fairly positive for Murray.
I liked what I heard.. the big takeaway for me was the mental/IQ side of it, to which he said he heard great things from his sources. That might make some a little less nervous..since the whole casserly debacle.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This draft is starting to feel like the draft where Jake Fisher Luke Joeckel went #1 and #2.

Poor Cards, Cannot even find the right year when they end up with first overall pick.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Flutie is proof that a shorter Heisman-winning QB can win multiple championships...

...in Canada. :)

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim always says he takes the best player....

his problem is defining "best player"
He's done that.

He says that - in building each prospect's BPA rating score, they factor in "team need" so that it's part of each player's rating prior to his being included in the Top 120 board.

Seems believable.

But I'm not sure I believe the Cards 100% stick to their BPA approach when tempted to go otherwise (It all comes down to MB, SK or KK falling in love with a kid enough to stand on the proverbial table).

The process flies in the face of accountability (i.e no one wants to admit they blew a pick. No one wants the public to know what they were thinking No one wants to publically embarrass a player - &/or lower his value in a trade by conceding that "we made a huge mistake when we drafted him.").

So the tap dance continues with at least lip service applied to a BPA approach. I think mgt probably goes the BPA route 75 - 80% of the time.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I was reading on a Website by a former Scout from a few years back and he said most teams give "lip service" to the BPA routes but in reality most actually draft for need.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don`t hate Murray.I don`t like the idea of using the top pick on Murray for reasons discussed many times here.I think Rosen will improve and also think Bosa will be damn good in the NFl.Q.Williams would be my second choice behind Bosa.As stated I prefer the lowest risk pick and IMO that is Bosa because of his skillset and work ethic and ability to play in several packages.Q.Williams just a little behind Bosa but I think he can fit DT/DE in various packages.

Two lost seasons to injuries are what tipped me to Q.

Those are huge red flags.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I was reading on a Website by a former Scout from a few years back and he said most teams give "lip service" to the BPA routes but in reality most actually draft for need.

Yep, it's almost always need. Rarely do you see teams do it, and if they are, it's usually to move on from a high priced veteran.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
He's done that.

He says that - in building each prospect's BPA rating score, they factor in "team need" so that it's part of each player's rating prior to his being included in the Top 120 board.

Seems believable.

But I'm not sure I believe the Cards 100% stick to their BPA approach when tempted to go otherwise (It all comes down to MB, SK or KK falling in love with a kid enough to stand on the proverbial table).

The process flies in the face of accountability (i.e no one wants to admit they blew a pick. No one wants the public to know what they were thinking No one wants to publically embarrass a player - &/or lower his value in a trade by conceding that "we made a huge mistake when we drafted him.").

So the tap dance continues with at least lip service applied to a BPA approach. I think mgt probably goes the BPA route 75 - 80% of the time.

I think as you get later in the draft the differences in player rankings get tighter at each draft spot, so you can pick the BPA who oh-by-the-way also fills a positional need.

I also think in the top 10, the player differences can be giant and you better go with the better player vs a lesser one that fills a need

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Two lost seasons to injuries are what tipped me to Q.

Those are huge red flags.

A torn ACL in High school doesn`t worry me.pretty common for football players.
The core muscle injury is fairly common to athletes also.

I know you can have two injuries needing surgery from playing sports in a few year period .
might be a RED flag for some but not completely unusual to happen.I see your concern but like I said knee injuries and football pretty much go hand in hand .

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
guys . we have Chandler Jones who leads the NFL in sacks last 3 years or is darn close and he hasnt gotten us wins. The QB is the key. If he is anything like Russell Wilson which I believe he could be better . you take him. The 49ers had a great defense during Warner's years here and they couldn't win...Warner made us legit. Carson Palmer made us legit. You have to take Murray and see. Bosa doesnt make us 5 wins better. If Murray is the real deal. He could make us 5-7 wins better

Jones never had anyone else on the Dline that could take attention away from him. Put Williams in the middle and suddenly teams have to double him or drop Bosa on the end and now teams have to be concerned with two competent pass rushers.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
Jones never had anyone else on the Dline that could take attention away from him. Put Williams in the middle and suddenly teams have to double him or drop Bosa on the end and now teams have to be concerned with two competent pass rushers.

Yup. And QW was doubled all year and still dominated so he's used to it.

Reaction score
I'm in a fabricated happy place. I still want Rosen but have allowed the blind hope of Murray to also permeate my psyche. I will go into this draft prepared by the ole additive "see no evil, hear no evil". I even have a Mighty Mouse avatar in acceptance to jinx the selection of Murray because the Cardinals never do what I want... regardless, with a few beers I will be a happy camper during the draft and will accept what may come my way lol

:cheers:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Gets even more dicey for a offense, because even Suggs at his age is a threat if you add the possibility of Bosa, Williams or even Oliver... this defense could get back on track quickly :)

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
“The best player available at a position of need”

Well the greatest position of need on this team is either WR or OL. These two areas are the weakest links on this team right now. There are none that are weaker.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
A torn ACL in High school doesn`t worry me.pretty common for football players.
The core muscle injury is fairly common to athletes also.

I know you can have two injuries needing surgery from playing sports in a few year period .
might be a RED flag for some but not completely unusual to happen.I see your concern but like I said knee injuries and football pretty much go hand in hand .

Players that are injured in high school and college tend to be injured in the NFL. I’ve been fooled before and I’m not going to be fooled on the top pick.

If their talent difference was greater, I’d swing Bosa, but it’s easier to argue that Q Williams is physically more talented.

His wart is he obviously was good for only one year, but that was due to his youth and needing to physically develop. What’s exciting about Q as a prospect is that he still is baby faced. He’s still growing and maturing.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Players that are injured in high school and college tend to be injured in the NFL. I’ve been fooled before and I’m not going to be fooled on the top pick.

If their talent difference was greater, I’d swing Bosa, but it’s easier to argue that Q Williams is physically more talented.

His wart is he obviously was good for only one year, but that was due to his youth and needing to physically develop. What’s exciting about Q as a prospect is that he still is baby faced. He’s still growing and maturing.

Fair points I agree.Bosa was injured in his last regular season game in High school.So he missed playoff game.Partially torn ACL. So people saying he missed a season in HS are wrong.
More fabricated BS by detractors.
You say you have been fooled with the top pick before and not going to be fooled again.Then wanting Murrray and Smaller,shorter QB in a league where smaller shorter QBs have had very very little limited success is a perfect example of fooling yourself again.The BS line spouted by Gundy which was outright BS about only getting hit 7 times in 9 games (9sacks and 82 rushing attempts BEFORE the OK ST game) is proof Murray isn`t foolproof.18 sacks on the season and 140 running plays means he took some hits.In the NFL every game will be against higher quality defenses than college.Sure the kid has talent and is athletic but he is still going to get hit repeatedly.
As for Q.Williams I like him a lot but IMO Bosa is going to be more steady solid Pro-Bowl potential player.Q.Williams could turn into a star or he could be just good.Nothing wrong with that.I think Bosa is the more polished player.I certainly would not complain if the pick was Q.Williams although Bosa is my choice.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson