TMZ: Budda Baker says the Cardinals would love to have Antonio Brown

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Then the Pats and the Saints to a degree all gave him a chance with zero tolerance and we saw how that turned out :)

Exactly? Do we think that the Pats or Saints season was negatively impacted by AB?? Honestly?

I think he was a minor distraction for maybe a couple of days, and they moved right on. The Pats won the game he played...he never even suited up for the Saints.

My point is, if you can cut or waive him with no future impact on the cap...I don't think it has any long lasting impact on the players. They are so used to players coming and going in the NFL, people would be "On to Cincinnati" about 5 minutes after he walked out of the building.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definitely a high risk/high rewards rolling of the dice.

Is Brown's potential benefit to the team worth the damage he might do to the locker room or team culture?

Making the right decision is why they pay team mgt the big buccos.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Is Brown's potential benefit to the team worth the damage he might do to the locker room or team culture?

This is where I think it 100% depends on the deal. For the Raiders the answer was no. They traded for him, made a big deal of his arrival, and had a bunch of money that could have gone elsewhere tied up in a crazy person that derailed the beginning of their season (very publicly). But even then...the Raiders went on to have a pretty decent season, and if you asked me if AB had any "lasting" impact at this point I would say no. They have moved on and look to be in pretty decent shape heading off to Vegas.

For any other team, ecspecially at this point the potential damage is next to nothing. He is going to get a very minimal salary, and he is looked at as a crazy person. If he signs for 900k or whatever the vets min. is...and he lasts a week.....is that doing more or less damage than Michael Crabtree did to us this year when we gave him 2.5 million and cut him like a month later?

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There's no risk though. Any team will have the contract structured so there's no dead money to cut him.

If he screws up he's gone and yesterday's news.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's no risk though. Any team will have the contract structured so there's no dead money to cut him.

If he screws up he's gone and yesterday's news.

Except when he posts on social media, trashes your QB to the press, trashes your owner, goes in racist tirades, beats up random members of your community, maybe rapes someone in town.

Nothing to lose!

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Except when he posts on social media, trashes your QB to the press, trashes your owner, goes in racist tirades, beats up random members of your community, maybe rapes someone in town.

Nothing to lose!

The main threat is if he does seem to mesh while his craziness is allowed to permeate in the locker room before he goes off and you cut him

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Would he make the team better? Yes because he's good at football, very good. He's "nuckin futs" though. Couple loose marbles, maybe a couple hands full lol? As soon as he has everyone thinking he's straightened out, bam, he does something nutty again & flips out. No way I would get near the dude if I was SK.

AB will never hurt you on the field. If he plays, in this offense. He will have 10 120 a night. That will get the cardinals Ws against most of the teams they lost to last year because it will free up every thing else.

And Kingsberry seems like a very competent play caller, with lapses. But imagine him with Brown and Kyler throwing the ball.

If Brown acts up, cut his ass. His deal is incentive laden

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

This is a myth.

One man does not dictate locker room culture.

He is clearly off the field lunatic, but no other NFL player has shown the desire to even get near his bs.

Its clear he is own thing.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He hasn't though has he.

He had about 8 perfectly good trouble free years with the Steelers before his recent issues.
biggest surprise out of the Antonio Clown saga is that the steelers kept it under wraps. mad props to Tomlin for hiding that nutcase from the world

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
AB will never hurt you on the field. If he plays, in this offense. He will have 10 120 a night. That will get the cardinals Ws against most of the teams they lost to last year because it will free up every thing else.

And Kingsberry seems like a very competent play caller, with lapses. But imagine him with Brown and Kyler throwing the ball.

If Brown acts up, cut his ass. His deal is incentive laden
I don't doubt his production in our offense for a second. I even understand the incentive laden stuff at the risk of being cut for doing something stupid. The down side is when things don't go his way or when he thinks he should've been targeted, but wasn't, he opens his mouth. He did it in Pittsburgh & will do it again. Big Ben can't stand him. I want the Cardinals to win but not at the expense of having to deal with his craziness. Nor have to worry about when his next mishap happens.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Shall we did up Chandler Jones and synthetic weed? Or Adrian Peterson skeletons? Or Fitz?

My point was he's not a locker room problem. The Steelers locker room had nothing but love for AB.
Ryan Clark is literally someone who was in there with him being a locker room problem, it's right there in the video. The franchise spent a year in disarray because of locker room problems and media problems.

Even the article you posted in this thread on the first page alludes to the locker room being splintered due to a team that needed to choose between their star QB and star WR. That is literally being a locker room problem, creating enemies among teammates.

I'm normally able to at least see where you're coming from with your takes, but this is a pretty cut and dry scenario where he is a major issue.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ryan Clark is literally someone who was in there with him being a locker room problem, it's right there in the video. The franchise spent a year in disarray because of locker room problems and media problems.

Even the article you posted in this thread on the first page alludes to the locker room being splintered due to a team that needed to choose between their star QB and star WR. That is literally being a locker room problem, creating enemies among teammates.

I'm normally able to at least see where you're coming from with your takes, but this is a pretty cut and dry scenario where he is a major issue.

One guy that had a problem does not make AB an issue. Even at the end in his spat with Big Ben there were plenty on AB's side. Let's not forget that came from Big Ben talking out of turn and trying to blame an INT on AB. Brown had a point.

But my point is outside of those final moments nearly all the hundreds of team mates he had over 9 years liked and respected AB. That's not a guy who is a locker room problem.

You can surely make arguments for not signing AB. I just don't think locker room problem is one of them.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Shall we did up Chandler Jones and synthetic weed? Or Adrian Peterson skeletons? Or Fitz?

My point was he's not a locker room problem. The Steelers locker room had nothing but love for AB.

Yes, yes he is! Live Facebooking FROM THE LOCKER ROOM, amongst other things. As I said before, I live in Pittsburgh, and get to listen to all the local Steelers experts. For YEARS before his blowups, they talked about all his antics and the negatives they brought to the locker room, but the national media basically went down on AB for one simple fact: because he's good.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, yes he is! Live Facebooking FROM THE LOCKER ROOM, amongst other things. As I said before, I live in Pittsburgh, and get to listen to all the local Steelers experts. For YEARS before his blowups, they talked about all his antics and the negatives they brought to the locker room, but the national media basically went down on AB for one simple fact: because he's good.

There's a difference between some sporadic antics and "being a cancer".

The Steelers didn't have a single losing season while he was there. If that's cancer I'll take some.

I think people are exaggerating how players feel about these things. Hell, in 1998 pre season Michael Irvin stabbed an offensive lineman from his own team in the neck with scissors for making him wait for a hair cut. He was a cm from killing him. They both played the season. Irving had 1000+ yards and the Cowboys went 10-6.

You're not wrong that he has the potential to do some things you wouldn't ideally want but I don't think it negatively effects the team as proposed.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
There's a difference between some sporadic antics and "being a cancer".

The Steelers didn't have a single losing season while he was there. If that's cancer I'll take some.

I think people are exaggerating how players feel about these things. Hell, in 1998 pre season Michael Irvin stabbed an offensive lineman from his own team in the neck with scissors for making him wait for a hair cut. He was a cm from killing him. They both played the season. Irving had 1000+ yards and the Cowboys went 10-6.

You're not wrong that he has the potential to do some things you wouldn't ideally want but I don't think it negatively effects the team as proposed.
I think you are woefully misunderstanding the relationships between player and media, and how important minding your own business about other players and their position on the team is.

At least a third of the league, and I'm probably strongly underestimating here, come from less than ideal backgrounds growing up. A former NFL player friend of mine once said to me "I don't like that dude but you don't get in the way of anybody looking to eat." Long story short, this was said in private to me about another teammate talking about getting a contract extension. I didn't sit him down for a Dateline interview, but the message was clear, you say the right thing about players around you when they're trying to get paid. It's not your business.

Not to mention that half of the poo that's bad for a locker room is nowhere near as bad as some of the other poo these guys have seen off the field, therefore they can brush it off. But it still screws the locker room up when it comes to actual wins.

Make no mistake though, tons of players don't care about wins, just getting paid.

AB is a major distraction and would be a detriment to a team that has to deal with him and the media circus.