Thoughts on this draft...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its kind of funny how much hand wringing goes on between the draft and free agency, when rosters are still in flux.

Its kind of like watching your mom bake a cake when you were a kid. You look at all those runny eggs and lard and flower and can't see how that ever could end up good.

I totally agree with you but at least in that case you probably know what kind of cook your mom is from past experience.

If Sarver is the Chef, how confident would you be in his ability to bake a cake?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was listening to Sarver on KTAR the other day, and he has been hitting all the right notes. I think he might be growing into a good owner. He talked about how the Suns have an opportunity to spend well over the cap this summer and hopefully they would be able to do so, but then when asked if "for sure the Suns will go over the cap" he went onto say he learned some real lessons about not just spending the cap space because its there and that he made some mistakes in the past, throwing out money to mediocre guys.

Obviously there is still some amends to make but the change in tone from the ownership during the last year has been a real positive sign.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was listening to Sarver on KTAR the other day, and he has been hitting all the right notes. I think he might be growing into a good owner. He talked about how the Suns have an opportunity to spend well over the cap this summer and hopefully they would be able to do so, but then when asked if "for sure the Suns will go over the cap" he went onto say he learned some real lessons about not just spending the cap space because its there and that he made some mistakes in the past, throwing out money to mediocre guys.

Obviously there is still some amends to make but the change in tone from the ownership during the last year has been a real positive sign.

You guys have no idea how much I hope this is true.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://arizonasports.com/?nid=243&auto=1&aid=305801

There is a link to the interview. Gambo and Burns are rather insufferable, and they ask a lot of really dumb questions that Sarver obviously cannot answer (like exactly what discussions they've had in terms of trades) but when they move onto the cap space is the kind of talk that is starting to make me much more confident in Sarver as an owner.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the light finally went on with Sarver after he signed all those bad bad contracts a few years ago. Can anyone say Josh Childress or more recently Michael Beasley? Sarver has always been wiling to spend but making Ryan McDonough GM, signals a whole new way of doing business. Yes, I do believe Sarver will lay out some serious cash if the Suns can find the right players.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I totally agree with you but at least in that case you probably know what kind of cook your mom is from past experience.

If Sarver is the Chef, how confident would you be in his ability to bake a cake?

But Sarver is NOT the Chef. Sure, he has to approve the final product but Ryan (talent) and Lon (financial) are the chefs in this analogy.

Sarver has made one basketball decision since the Warrick/Childress/Hedo/Frye debacle, and that was to not sign Felton (like Blanks wanted to do) and to sign Dragic.

Sarver has learned from his mistakes. This "Sarver is terrible, nobody will play for him) crap is just nonsense. Ask Steve Nash what kind of a person Robert is. Ask Goran Dragic what kind of a person Robert is. I am sure their answers would surprise you. Fortunately, that's who the actual players will be asking.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
But Sarver is NOT the Chef. Sure, he has to approve the final product but Ryan (talent) and Lon (financial) are the chefs in this analogy.

Sarver has made one basketball decision since the Warrick/Childress/Hedo/Frye debacle, and that was to not sign Felton (like Blanks wanted to do) and to sign Dragic.

Sarver has learned from his mistakes. This "Sarver is terrible, nobody will play for him) crap is just nonsense. Ask Steve Nash what kind of a person Robert is. Ask Goran Dragic what kind of a person Robert is. I am sure their answers would surprise you. Fortunately, that's who the actual players will be asking.

And that one basketball decision can almost make up for most of the bad ones he made in years past.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here is a better one. Sarver is the owner of the restaurant but can't find quality suppliers for his ingredients because of his bad reputation. So, he hires a new chef with new recipes but the reality is it's the same mediocre ingredients just mixed up differently. No matter what chef you hire...he can't make gourmet meals of of McDonald ingredients.

Also, go back and read comments after the last player/coaches negotiations....it's not nonsense. If it was such nonsense where are all these player flocking to come to Phoenix? If teams respected the Suns why have most of the deals been so lopsided in their favor until recently? What happen with the done Golden State deal. Sorry...where there is smoke there is fire.

Maybe Sarver has learned from his mistakes. I don't doubt that is possible. However, the proof will be in his ability to attract top free agents to this organization. The proof will be in his ability to pull off major trades. Let's see that happen before we declare....problem solved.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Here is a better one. Sarver is the owner of the restaurant but can't find quality suppliers for his ingredients because of his bad reputation. So, he hires a new chef with new recipes but the reality is it's the same mediocre ingredients just mixed up differently. No matter what chef you hire...he can't make gourmet meals of of McDonald ingredients.
For the record, it is possible the new chef has connections with quality suppliers for quality ingredients. Or even just his reputation.

That being said, bad reputations don't go away quickly. Especially if there are other restaurants (or teams) to do business with. One negative can ruin a lot of positives when there are many others to choose from.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record, it is possible the new chef has connections with quality suppliers for quality ingredients. Or even just his reputation.

That being said, bad reputations don't go away quickly. Especially if there are other restaurants (or teams) to do business with. One negative can ruin a lot of positives when there are many others to choose from.

GREAT POINT. Which goes back to other times I have said that the Suns hiring a big name coach could also draw top talent.

I am not saying Sarver can't repair our image. I am just saying that WE WILL KNOW when it has been repaired. When top tier players start wanting to play here we will be the first to know. If we can force it by pulling off a huge trade or drafting a franchise player...that works for me too.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess you could call Brown a horrible defender. The opposing coaches in his conference called him the defensive player of the year. Yes, the weakest part of his game is rebounding. But, to me, he has a better mid range game, is a more consistent outside shooter, and a way better shot blocker than Channing Frye. He averaged 50% from 2 and 42 % from the three the last two years AND averaged more blocks per game than fouls (3.1 go 2.2). It will remain to see wheither that translates to the NBA, but good grief, he is a second rounder.

I am not displeased with this draft at all.

I'm sorry, but you can't seriously think that Brown is better than Channing Frye at anything right now based on stats and awards Brown got while playing in the horizon conference . Channing Frye as a college player would have been one of the best players ever in that conference. Brown is a little bit intriguing down the road but that's about it.

After all these years, do people still not understand it takes two to tango in the NBA? You can't trade someone if there isn't a team to, you know, take him.

normally this is something that really gets under my skin as well, Chap. However in this case we know that Chicago was able to trade up to #11 to get McDermott with picks lower than our own. I think he is going to be a steal there.

I don't mind the TJ Warren pick at #14. I'm actually getting a little excited about him. Like many of you the one I didn't like was Ennis. I just don't like the idea of drafting a slower point guard unless he's just an incredible offensive player. If we were going to take a smaller point guard I would have preferred Napier. Harris was my preference, but I did hear that there may have been some medical concerns with him. Same goes for Payne with possible endurance issues. Without those flags those guys would have been my first choices at 14 & 18 but like I said I am getting more excited about Warren.

I can't wait for summer league to start. I'm hoping Plumlee plays. I'm every bit as excited to see last year's draftees as I am this year's...maybe more.

Joe

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
GREAT POINT. Which goes back to other times I have said that the Suns hiring a big name coach could also draw top talent.

I am not saying Sarver can't repair our image. I am just saying that WE WILL KNOW when it has been repaired. When top tier players start wanting to play here we will be the first to know. If we can force it by pulling off a huge trade or drafting a franchise player...that works for me too.

Top tier players not wanting to play here has nothing to do with Sarver. It has to do with the Suns being an average team, at best.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top tier players not wanting to play here has nothing to do with Sarver. It has to do with the Suns being an average team, at best.

How do you draw that conclusion? Throughout Sun history we have been able to draw some big name free agents or even during trades players have agreed to be traded here because they want to play here.

Some of those teams prior to those deals....not so good. Why is that no longer happening?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree although I think it's now a thing of the past. We might not be able to attract Lebron or Melo but it's not because we're not an intriguing team. Everyone is in their ear saying that they have to stay in the East because the West will wear them out and decrease their postseason chances. I think that's stupid but it seems to be accepted as gospel right now.

Anyway, there are only two teams with a longer postseason drought than us. But I think the players know that we were as good as many of the playoff teams and all I hear from the experts is how bright our future is. The players and the agents hear the same thing so I'm confident we'll have a chance with most of them. Jeff seems to be a draw too.

Steve

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree although I think it's now a thing of the past. We might not be able to attract Lebron or Melo but it's not because we're not an intriguing team. Everyone is in their ear saying that they have to stay in the East because the West will wear them out and decrease their postseason chances. I think that's stupid but it seems to be accepted as gospel right now.

Anyway, there are only two teams with a longer postseason drought than us. But I think the players know that we were as good as many of the playoff teams and all I hear from the experts is how bright our future is. The players and the agents hear the same thing so I'm confident we'll have a chance with most of them. Jeff seems to be a draw too.

Steve

Don't we actually need to sign a significant free agent to say it's in the past? I seriously hope you are right. I would love for the Suns to sign a big name or get involved in some mult-team deals because someone want to play here.

Last edited:

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
normally this is something that really gets under my skin as well, Chap. However in this case we know that Chicago was able to trade up to #11 to get McDermott with picks lower than our own. I think he is going to be a steal there.

I don't mind the TJ Warren pick at #14. I'm actually getting a little excited about him. Like many of you the one I didn't like was Ennis. I just don't like the idea of drafting a slower point guard unless he's just an incredible offensive player. If we were going to take a smaller point guard I would have preferred Napier. Harris was my preference, but I did hear that there may have been some medical concerns with him. Same goes for Payne with possible endurance issues. Without those flags those guys would have been my first choices at 14 & 18 but like I said I am getting more excited about Warren.

I can't wait for summer league to start. I'm hoping Plumlee plays. I'm every bit as excited to see last year's draftees as I am this year's...maybe more.

Joe

Time will tell who has the better career, but Warren played against better completion and had nobody to help on that team. He's two years younger and I think he'll get better shooting the 3. JMO, but McDermott doesn't have much higher to go while I think Warren will improve. I for one am glad we didn't make that trade to get McDermott. If we had made the trade I would have rather taken Saric and stashed him rather than our 27th pick. We'll see how it all plays out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree although I think it's now a thing of the past. We might not be able to attract Lebron or Melo but it's not because we're not an intriguing team. Everyone is in their ear saying that they have to stay in the East because the West will wear them out and decrease their postseason chances.
Steve

BS. If the above was the case, why are there reports that Melo is reportedly setting meetings with Houston, Dallas, the Lakers and Chicago? 3 of those 4 teams are in the West. And it's not just LeBron or Melo...Love apparently doesn't view us as intriguing either and he's signaled the willingness to stay West and go to GS.

The reason were not on anyone's radar is because (and this is in no particular order) we are a franchise that a) has an owner who made a pretty bad name for himself for a lot of his time here and is still in the process of rehabbing it b) we're not a playoff team yet and c) the jury's still out whether last year was a one year wonder type deal or not.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BS. If the above was the case, why are there reports that Melo is reportedly setting meetings with Houston, Dallas, the Lakers and Chicago? 3 of those 4 teams are in the West. And it's not just LeBron or Melo...Love apparently doesn't view us as intriguing either and he's signaled the willingness to stay West and go to GS.

The reason were not on anyone's radar is because (and this is in no particular order) we are a franchise that a) has an owner who made a pretty bad name for himself for a lot of his time here and is still in the process of rehabbing it b) we're not a playoff team yet and c) the jury's still out whether last year was a one year wonder type deal or not.

I forgot about Love, I'm not sure why we don't interest him. Probably because we've not been a playoff team and we probably don't appear to be more than a slight upgrade from his current position. Well, that and wanting to play in a major market. As for Melo, I don't think we're on his list but just because he's willing to interview with Houston, Dallas and the Lakers doesn't mean he's necessarily interested in going there either. Every time I hear a reporter talk about Melo and Lebron they mention the "he should stay in the East" thing although that doesn't mean it's important to them. But I'm sure Melo wants the attention of these big named teams and it's to his benefit to have multiple suitors.

You're right, it's too early for me to proclaim it's in the past but I don't think it's quite the concern it was a year or two ago. And if we fall apart this season we'll be quickly relegated to the bottom of the FA list.

Steve

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Even if our guys don't turn out very well, we can be thankful that we aren't the Raptors.

Bruno Caboclo lmao.

2 years from being 2 years away. I loved how they had to look up really old and really terrible quality videos of him to show his highlights :biglaugh:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Just watched NBATV's Western Conference draft review and DA was wondering out loud, "Who wouldn't want to go to Phoenix?!" Great weather during the season and an up and comer. He also mentioned our loads of cap space and thought we'd bring in a big time free agent this off-season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched NBATV's Western Conference draft review and DA was wondering out loud, "Who wouldn't want to go to Phoenix?!" Great weather during the season and an up and comer. He also mentioned our loads of cap space and thought we'd bring in a big time free agent this off-season.

I saw that too but noticed he had no idea who we'd get either.

Steve

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

This will be the second time we have had significan't cap space room during Sarver's tenure. I believe the first time was when Kobe was a free agent no? I remember all the talk about the Suns possibly getting two max contract players and we ended up just spending money on a bunch of middle of the road players.

Forgive me if I am not confident that we walk away this time...even with cap room...without yet another significant signing.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will be the second time we have had significan't cap space room during Sarver's tenure. I believe the first time was when Kobe was a free agent no? I remember all the talk about the Suns possibly getting two max contract players and we ended up just spending money on a bunch of middle of the road players.

We signed Nash and Richardson that year. That was the last season Colangelo was really still a part of the team. When his son was let go halfway into the 2005-6 season, I believe that's when Jerry completely walked away from the team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Forgive me if I am not confident that we walk away this time...even with cap room...without yet another significant signing.

When Kobe was a fa we came home with Steve Nash to everyone's surprise.