Thoughts on this draft...

drk3351

Rookie
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I was devastated with how this draft turned out. Warren isn't bad, he can score, finish around the rim, and is big. But he is a poor shooter, average athlete and defender, and he's a poor passer.

Ennis is a great passer, but besides that their is not too much to like. He is not a great shooter, finisher, or athlete. And there are concerns about how his defense will translate after playing in the 2-3 zone in college.

Bogdan can shoot and has size. But he is not a good passer, a poor athlete, average defender, isn't exactly young, and has bad shot selection.

And lastly Brown at 50. I mean this late it isn't a big deal, and I get why they took him because he is big and can shoot. But he is a HORRIBLE rebounder, mediocre defender, lacks strength and athleticism, I don't think we'll hear much of him ever.

So sorry to ruin the mood, I love my Suns but hate this draft for them. Still think the best prospect to try on develop on the roster is Len.

Your thoughts on the draft?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think many of us were hoping that the stash of low-level picks could somehow facilitate a dramatic move. That didn't happen, so it should be a disappointment. Nonetheless, I'm sure some on this board will insist that they are thrilled with the draft, because that's how fandom is.

Gortat, one of the better centers the Suns have ever had, was traded for Okafor -- who never played for the Suns even though they could have used him -- and a probable third-string PG. It's hard to get excited about that.

The Scola trade is looking better. Plumlee and Green can both play, and Bogdanovic looks like he might have something to offer in the NBA, so that might turn out to be a good deal.

The Suns' unexpected success this season moved them out of top-ten draft position -- which, by roster talent, is surely where they belonged -- and into #14, where they drafted a less exciting version of Cedric Ceballos.

Brown is almost certainly irrelevant, but that's what you get at #50, so no loss there.

Overall I'd say this front office is pretty hit-and-miss so far. They've made some good moves and some bad ones. This is a point in the development of the franchise when they really could have used an impact player in the draft, one way or the other, and they didn't get it. Fortunately they're still in position to score big in free agency, if they can make the right pitch to the right player at the right time.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't know what to think about it. I don't hate the Warren pick at all but I simply don't understand how we could pass on Young or Harris. I think the Front Office knows more about what they need and about what these guys bring so I want to give them the benefit of the doubt but it's tough to do it. I don't have a problem with the Ennis pick either although there were players I liked more still available. I know nothing about Bogdan but after watching his draft video at draft express I was more concerned than thrilled.

Hopefully the team will start telling us the factors that led to these picks.

Steve

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
While initially I was not a huge fan of the draft, you can look back over a decade and you really can't begin to judge a draft until 3 years later there are very very few guys that come into the league and make an immediate impact those are once in a decade type players. There are a lot of good players in this draft but I don't think you have any Lebron James or Amare Stoudemires that come in and wreck shop. It will take some time but I expect Parker to win rookie of the year just because the Bucks don't have much and he can go wild but still won't make an impact they won't be a playoff team. So just like last years draft give it 3 years and we can judge then until then lets develop them and hope for the best. But thats just the way I look at it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I was devastated with how this draft turned out. Warren isn't bad, he can score, finish around the rim, and is big. But he is a poor shooter, average athlete and defender, and he's a poor passer.

Ennis is a great passer, but besides that their is not too much to like. He is not a great shooter, finisher, or athlete. And there are concerns about how his defense will translate after playing in the 2-3 zone in college.

Bogdan can shoot and has size. But he is not a good passer, a poor athlete, average defender, isn't exactly young, and has bad shot selection.

And lastly Brown at 50. I mean this late it isn't a big deal, and I get why they took him because he is big and can shoot. But he is a HORRIBLE rebounder, mediocre defender, lacks strength and athleticism, I don't think we'll hear much of him ever.

So sorry to ruin the mood, I love my Suns but hate this draft for them. Still think the best prospect to try on develop on the roster is Len.

Your thoughts on the draft?

Man. I am so sorry for you. TJ Warren was one of the most prolific scorers in college basketball last year. He can get out of bed and score 20 points. And I am not sure where you got him being bad shooter. The kid shot almost 60% this year. His ft shooting improved to 70% and EVERY team he played double and triple teamed him. In the Suns workout, the thing that surprised them was how good a defender he was. I suppose that when you are carrying the bulk of your team's offense, its hard to have enough gas to defend well too. He is also NBA ready. He can step right into the starting SF role and I think will be lots better than Marcus.

I don't know much about Ennis. But he was projected to go all over the mid part of the first round. If he is a better Ish Smith, that's a fine addition for the 18th pick. Our third pg gets minutes. Plus he gives insurance if we run into a problem with Dragic in free agency or a really good deal for Bledsoe comes along.

Bogdonavic is thought of highly in Europe, but with 27, we can stash him now and see how he develops without disrupting the team.

I guess you could call Brown a horrible defender. The opposing coaches in his conference called him the defensive player of the year. Yes, the weakest part of his game is rebounding. But, to me, he has a better mid range game, is a more consistent outside shooter, and a way better shot blocker than Channing Frye. He averaged 50% from 2 and 42 % from the three the last two years AND averaged more blocks per game than fouls (3.1 go 2.2). It will remain to see wheither that translates to the NBA, but good grief, he is a second rounder.

I am not displeased with this draft at all.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think it's way too early to draw any conclusions. We don't know how these guys will play, and we don't know what our roster will look like. I'll give McD and Hornacek the benefit of the doubt for now.

If Warren can really score like he did in college (he dropped 25 points per game with defenses being able to focus on him, and he shot 52% from the field) and ih he can just hold his own defensively, the Suns will have a lot of firepower.

I am not sold on Ennis at all, but it will be nice to have a pure PG on the roster.

I am nou sure Bogdanovic will ever make it to the NBA. He is becoming a star in Europe and I don't think he'll have any interest in taking a pay cut to be a rookie/ bench player in the NBA.

Don't know anything about Brown, but seems interesting at #50.

Let's wait and see what happens.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Obviously it's hard to make judgements about draft picks right away, and sometimes it takes years. That said, we have a lot of good players, but no stars outside of Dragic and maybe Bledsoe. I guess I would have been happier if we packaged picks/other assets to move up, but who knows what the cost would have been?

I'm not enthused about Warren and Ennis because I don't believe either will ever be more than role players. Role players are always available, both in the draft and in FA. Stars, not so much. I guess I'd rather trade up for a player more likely to be a star, or draft a guy that you think could get there.

McD still gets the benefit of the doubt with me, but can't say I'm thrilled with our picks.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not shy about ripping on this front office and I have no issues with this draft. I like Ennis, I like Warren a lot, guys who can score at that rate tend to translate well to the NBA. I think we, at worst, got two solid rotation players, maybe two solid starters in those 2. Bogdan... who knows, I dont know how you're calling 21 "not young", but euro guys are really hard to project, he has some skills, I think the team wanted to move the pick but never got an offer they like.

I doubt Brown makes the roster, and thats typically the nature of late 2nd round picks.

I'd give them a B, but given where they were picked its hard to expect them to wow you with the initial reaction.

I'd also dispute Len being our highest potential player, THAT was a move that I think the current regime botched. The rest of their signings, trades and picks have been solid and some brilliant.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The only pick I hate is the Ennis pick. Not because I think he's garbage but because I don't see a very good fit.

Hornacek is too obsessed with trying to build a team with just guards. It doesn't work that way.

Ennis also draws some comparisons to Kendall Marshall who was also a horrible fit for us.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bogdon was at the draft, so I think he wants to play in the NBA. I think ESPN was saying he wanted to play in the NBA. So maybe he stays in Europe for a year or two or forever, but if he never comes here I don't feel it's because he chose not to. Never know though.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh....the Suns may have drafted players to fill the roster but all these picks should have parlayed into something better IMO. I would have thought they could have moved up and drafted potentially a franchise caliber player or at least a "potential". Warren? That appears to be our only hope.

Disappointing draft for the reasons above.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I was watching NBATV's draft review tonight and Stu Jackson ranked our draft as one of the top four in the league along with Boston, Charlotte, and Denver. They said Warren is a special offensive talent and that Ennis reminded him of Mark Jackson.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
After doing a little quick research tnite on the players they drafted, and a few other players who were on the board...it looks like a typical Suns draft. Drafting depth at guard when you need impact bodies in the frontcourt, drafting tweener SF's, and valuing offense above everything else.

In other words, i don't know wtf they're doing and i'll likely continue to stay away from re-investing my heart and soul back into this franchise(much like an ex-lover that let you down every time you thought she might change her ways).

Why not package all three picks and get into the top 5 or top 10? Hell, i wouldn't mind depth at guard if it was a player who was ready to step right in and have an impact and maybe even push our current guys.

I watched a few games this past season, with old friends who dragged me to the sports bar and they told me that things were changing, and things were looking up with a new GM and Horny as HC. I remember a Houston game. It was a hard fought battle and entertaining. IIRC the Suns lost a close one.

I think they play very hard for Hornacek, and i noticed a less reckless philosophy on the court... but I need to see more in terms of changing the culture. This draft did nothing to lead me to believe that anything has changed.

We'll see. I plan to watch a few more games.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
btw I don't think we should stash Bogdan at all.

He is ready to compete for playing time right now, he is not a raw 19 year old kid. It will be better for him to be with the team next year even if he does not play much.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We've been hearing how great and deep this draft was going to be for a long time, so it is a bit disappointing that, when all is said and done, the Suns wind up with seemingly no impact players, no high-ceiling potential future perennial all-star. Part of it is obviously due to their success last year which moved them outside of top 10, but even last year, in a much weaker draft, late in the first round they managed to find a player like Goodwin, who still appears to have more potential than any of the players drafted last night.

It is also disappointing that, given how much we've been hearing about all the assets the Suns have accumulated, they were unable, or unwilling, to make a significant move on draft night that would have netted a player with more potential than those three drafted.

As for the players the Suns did draft, Warren might have been the BPA at #14, and appears to be able to definitely help immediately, but won't be a major difference maker now, or probably ever in his career. His ceiling appears to be a solid starter.

Ennis pick I don't really understand. The Suns had too many PG's last year, forcing then to play one at SG, and to give up on one just drafted the year prior (Marshall). Now they draft another one, who doesn't appear to be, on paper, any better than the one they just gave away. You have to wonder if the Suns brass already decided that Bledsoe will be too expensive and drafted his much cheaper, but also likely much less capable, replacement. I also don't like what this pick means for Ish Smith's future with the team. And, let's not forget, Gary Harris was still on the board.

Bogdanović pick I actually do like. A Spurs-like Euro stash pick late in the daft. But, ironically, he appears to want to come over and play right away. There may not be a roster spot, and if there is, he won't get minutes. So it will be interesting to see how this works out. Also, less ironically and potentially more costly, the Spurs wind up with Kyle Anderson, everyone's favorite sleeper pick, at #30. The Suns may ultimately come to regret passing on him.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Why not package all three picks and get into the top 5 or top 10? Hell, i wouldn't mind depth at guard if it was a player who was ready to step right in and have an impact and maybe even push our current guys.

Why don't I just start dating Kate Upton?

Shockingly, no team was interested in trading out of the top 5 for 3 mid-to-late 1st round picks.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think I'm going to like this guy.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

It was funny watching ESPN run the highlights for the wrong Bogdanovic, and then having Tom Leander and Tim Kempton comment on how impressed they were with those highlights on the post draft show.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
After all these years, do people still not understand it takes two to tango in the NBA? You can't trade someone if there isn't a team to, you know, take him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After doing a little quick research tnite on the players they drafted, and a few other players who were on the board...it looks like a typical Suns draft. Drafting depth at guard when you need impact bodies in the frontcourt, drafting tweener SF's, and valuing offense above everything else.

What about TJ Warren is a tweener? He is a pure SF. Both the Suns and Indiana reported how well he defended in workouts. They believe he can guard both 2's and 3's.

Nothing tweener about TJ.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why don't I just start dating Kate Upton?

Shockingly, no team was interested in trading out of the top 5 for 3 mid-to-late 1st round picks.
Sarcasm. Ok cool but i'll play it straight. BTW Kate Upton needs to eat more often :)

Top 5 would be difficult i agree, but as i posted, top 10 should have been very doable. We have tradeable talent in the backcourt don't we? Why not include a player that i hear many talking about possibly leaving anyway?

There looks to have been a few PF's available there that appear to me that could've really helped us in the frontcourt. Just better talent regardless of position.

My point is how do the Suns expect to get better by sitting on three #1's and drafting three players that will likely have no impact for years to come?

Look, i haven't followed the team in quite awhile(so please forgive me for being somewhat misinformed), but i'm a bit perplexed as to how they managed to even get into the 2014 draft without a top 10 pick. The team played better than expected last season i get that...but they didn't do a very good job of positioning and managing their picks it seems.

Accumulating number one picks in the NFL is a great way to turn around a franchise...not so much in the NBA it seems. I graded the draft a C only because i'm not very familiar with the Suns current contracts and player development system, otherwise i'd give them a solid D.

Is FA going to help turn the tide? Hope so because it appears that this draft was wasted in terms of opportunities. Three #1's and this is what they come up with?

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
Here's my thoughts on our draft picks:

TJ Warren: The kid is a baller. His outside game is not good, but I wouldn't call it awful either. If he puts work into developing his shot, the tools are all there. I wanted to draft Gary Harris with this pick, but the Suns were right to pass on him here as he was also there with the second 1st round pick. Like the intensity he brings and think this was a very good pick.

Tyler Ennis: Really like this kids game, but like many have mention above, I do not think he is a good fit for this team. Add that to the fact that I was ecstatic that Gary Harris was just sitting there and would have fit perfectly here really ticked me off. But this pick does intrigue me as pertains to the current roster. It makes me think the Bledsoe will probably not be back next year. I know they have already refuted that but I think he will be dealt in a sign and trade, probably for a SG. Well see what happens in the next coming weeks, after the smoke clears. May like this pick better if we get the right piece for another PG we have.

Bogdan Bogdanovic: Love this kid lol. He has some serious swagger when playing. Watching his 15 minute video, you can see he plays with a LOT of intensity! Hope they can get him here sooner than later because he is really good at 2 things - playing defense and shooting the ball. Reminds me of a bigger Manu.

Alec Brown: Don't know if he will make the team, but he is an excellent shot blocker in the paint and can shoot the 3 ball. Frye insurance IMO.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's my thoughts on our draft picks:

TJ Warren: The kid is a baller. His outside game is not good, but I wouldn't call it awful either. If he puts work into developing his shot, the tools are all there. I wanted to draft Gary Harris with this pick, but the Suns were right to pass on him here as he was also there with the second 1st round pick. Like the intensity he brings and think this was a very good pick.

Tyler Ennis: Really like this kids game, but like many have mention above, I do not think he is a good fit for this team. Add that to the fact that I was ecstatic that Gary Harris was just sitting there and would have fit perfectly here really ticked me off. But this pick does intrigue me as pertains to the current roster. It makes me think the Bledsoe will probably not be back next year. I know they have already refuted that but I think he will be dealt in a sign and trade, probably for a SG. Well see what happens in the next coming weeks, after the smoke clears. May like this pick better if we get the right piece for another PG we have.

Bogdan Bogdanovic: Love this kid lol. He has some serious swagger when playing. Watching his 15 minute video, you can see he plays with a LOT of intensity! Hope they can get him here sooner than later because he is really good at 2 things - playing defense and shooting the ball. Reminds me of a bigger Manu.

Alec Brown: Don't know if he will make the team, but he is an excellent shot blocker in the paint and can shoot the 3 ball. Frye insurance IMO.

I was thinking Manu when I watched Bogdan, but I didn't want to say it cause I hate that guy.