The Wiz is the guest on Jim Rome is Burning (ESPN Right Now)

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
The show is just now starting.... not sure if he'll be in studio or satellite link, but he's the guest for today's show

BigOX

Reaction score
After watching that I really think if All Day is there at 5 we are taking him.

DaCards

I Heart the Cardinals!!
Reaction score
Not a bad interview. I wonder whos gonna be the 2nd back to help Edge out? JJ, Shipp or .....perhaps AP?

I hope he can make Oliver Ross a 15 game winner again....

Lets do this Whiz!!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a recap?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Wiz talked about guys buying into what they were doing there, and that being one of the biggest ways to change the Cardinals' fortunes.

He recapped the 2-back plan with Edge, reiterating that he was looking to run around 55% of the time.

They discussed Matt Leinart's size and durability, and Whisenhunt confirmed that he identified Matt's need to get bigger. He also confirmed that Leinart had been in for every workout so far.

He was asked if they had enough talent on the offensive line to succeed, and he cited the addition of Al Johnson, and Mike Gandy, who he referenced as a Tackle. (No mention of him playing guard) He then spoke about winning 15 games with Ross as a starter, but something seemed to me like he wasn't entirely sold.

When asked about the #5 pick overall, he said that now that they had filled certain needs in free agency, they were not going to have to stay there in order to fill a specific need. He mentioned that trading down was a possibility.

I think I got everything. Good interview.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here's a little of what I heard:

In regards to Edge, they want to get him some help so the offense can maintain that 55% run that the Steelers were able to achieve.
He made no mention of Shipp or Arrington.

Lineart needs to get bigger and stronger to stay healthy a whole season.

No need to change "the culture of losing" because believing in the Whis' system will allow them to get wins and the culture changes it self.

In regard to the line he said eliminating "stupid mistakes, like the false starts" will help the Cards win games that they lost last year.
Whis also said that the line has good depth and that Graves did a good job. Competition along with depth, builds chemistry which will improve the product on the field.

Whis stated that the team has no specific need so that means the #5 pick can be spent on many different players.
He reiterated (sp?) the point so I'm very curious to see what the end of April brings.

...Could be smokescreen but with the "get Edge help" comment and the "no need" comment I'd say Peterson is as likey a pick as anyone. No word on that by Whis, that last bit is my two cents.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I think Whiz would turn flips in the Cards draft room if Peterson were available!

corrado

Registered
Reaction score
Cardinal fans again overreacting to Whiz cdomments

on Rome's show. If Joe Thomas is there at 5 the Cards will take him. If he is there and they take AP instead, I'm done with this team. If he is not there, I think they may trade down and I think the back that they would be looking at with their early 2nd round pick is Brian Leonard from Rutgers.

BigOX

Reaction score
on Rome's show. If Joe Thomas is there at 5 the Cards will take him. If he is there and they take AP instead, I'm done with this team. If he is not there, I think they may trade down and I think the back that they would be looking at with their early 2nd round pick is Brian Leonard from Rutgers.

There is no way we pass on Thomas if he is there are 5. As great as a talent that AP is, Thomas would be a steal at 5.

And thanks for the welcome :cheers:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's too strong, IMO.

I think it's a toss-up if they're both there, and personally, I'd probably take AP.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's too strong, IMO.

I think it's a toss-up if they're both there, and personally, I'd probably take AP.

I would definitely take Thomas. But, I could at least understand using the pick on Peterson. I certainly wouldn't dump the team over it.

seesred

Reaction score
The Wiz is toying with other teams to set up a possable trade down for more picks. He might be thinking

LB 1
Safety1
Tackle 2

Maybe he will take Thomas if he is there. Peterson could be, IMO he is thinking what can I get if I give up. Now as far as never rooting for our team again if they don't do this or that..Many people have made statments like that over the years. But if your basing your support because they don't grab Thomas, you aint much of a Cardinals fan./

GBR

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
That's too strong, IMO.

Whoa! As good as Peterson is, there are legitimate injury and durability questions. IMO, Joe Thomas is the no-brainer pick. Despite what Whis said, left offensive tackle remains problematic.

Let's play Jeopardy!

A: Wayne Gandy and/or Oliver Ross.

Q: Who is the worst starting left tackle in the National Football League, Alex?

*or* Millionaire!

Q: How much stronger can Matt Leinart get this offseason?
A: Not strong enuf to withstand the pounding he'll take with Ollie and/or Wayne at left tackle.

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
:lmao:

He is kinda old but I would take Wayne Gandy.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
In regard to the line he said eliminating "stupid mistakes, like the false starts" will help the Cards win games that they lost last year.

I sure hope the new staff can figure out what the problem has been the last two years with false starts. In addition to Davis' 8 last year, Pope had 5 as did Reggie Wells. That's 18 false starts from just 3 guys. Davis and Ross combined for 19 in 2005. Something was obviously wrong with the calls at the line.

Davis influence was not the problem because in the game he was injured in '05 the Cards had 3 false starts.

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
LOL, you guys can't be serious. How is Thomas the "no brainer" are you the same people who wanted Leonard Davis over LaDainian Tomlinson? For those of you who thought that was a reach Dave McGinnis was touting LT the whole off-season. Too bad the Cards brass didn't let him make that pick.

I think the only thing we did right in that draft was not take Mike Gandy over Adrian Wilson.

nurnay

whatever
Reaction score
Since no one else has said it, let me remind BigOx that n00bs buy. I'll take a Guinness and a Philly cheese steak. Welcome aboard!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Being from NJ, I've watched Leonard and like him.

But not at #38.

Leonard has never been a lights-out lead blocker even when leading the way for Rice this year, and he's not all that explosive or fast as a tailback, though he has great hands,pretty good power when he can get outside and turn the corner and a terrific work-ethic..

He's kind of like a more versatile version of Marcel Shipp (but we already have one of those) and that ain't bad. But not high in the second round. Maybe with our #69 or #99 picks but not higher.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I sure hope the new staff can figure out what the problem has been the last two years with false starts. In addition to Davis' 8 last year, Pope had 5 as did Reggie Wells. That's 18 false starts from just 3 guys. Davis and Ross combined for 19 in 2005. Something was obviously wrong with the calls at the line.

Davis influence was not the problem because in the game he was injured in '05 the Cards had 3 false starts.

The whole thing points to a lack of discipline, mental focus and attention to detail -- or said simply -- coaching.