The Wire

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well as you can see by this post that it took me 1.5 months to get through season 2 which is only 12 episodes long.

Season one was fantastic! This (season 2) was painstakingly average TV. It really took all I had to get through it. It did get better in the last 4 episodes but not near enough to make up for the entire season.

Didnt help matters that there really was no worthy reward at the end either. The investigation was pretty much a wash.

Im praying that season 3 is better and gets back to its season 1 roots.

PLEASE GET BETTER!

Season 3 is getting back to that season 1 feel. MUCH better so far!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On episode 8 of season 3. Thsi show freaking KICKS ASS again! WOW!

I think this is my favorite season of all of them. I LOVE Bunny, and also Carcetti, and also Cutty. Marlo is also a great character.

Go Hamsterdam! At one point I was going to buy a Hamsterdam shirt.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
LOVED seasons 3,4,&5......

I think if I ranked them it would go.... 4,1,3,5,2

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loving season 4 as well. Was leary with Avon outa teh picture and Stringer being dead. But so far I am on episode 9 of season 4 and its pretty damned good.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Just finished season 2. It started a little slow, but got better. That Brother character was a hoot.

I loved the scene in episode 10 when Roland was rearranging the board, reminded me of the Sopranos.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished season 2. It started a little slow, but got better. That Brother character was a hoot.

I loved the scene in episode 10 when Roland was rearranging the board, reminded me of the Sopranos.

Im just finishing season 4. Seasons 3 and 4 are soooo much better than season 2.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I just finished this on Monday. It was truly a great series overall. Anyone who hasent seen it is doing themselves a huge disservice.

I would put it right up there with the Sopranos. In fact I probably like it better than the Sopranos overall. Thanks for the recomendation a-bomb. Some of the best most entertaining TV I have ever seen.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
It looks like your doing what I am doing. I started with the Sopranos... Then the Wire, then Dexter, Now Deadwood.

Soon Oz and Rome.

With the shows having such short seasons, watching them in Real Time ala Dexter is driving me bonkers!

Waiting for the series to end seems to be the best plan.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I just finished this on Monday. It was truly a great series overall. Anyone who hasent seen it is doing themselves a huge disservice.

I would put it right up there with the Sopranos. In fact I probably like it better than the Sopranos overall. Thanks for the recomendation a-bomb. Some of the best most entertaining TV I have ever seen.

Take that, mulli.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
You will like Bunny Colvin...and also Tommy Carcetti. I can almost guarantee that.
Just finished season 3. Those two characters were outstanding additions, especially Colvin. I felt pretty bad for him towards the end of the season. I'm eager to see what happens with Carcetti.

Im just finishing season 4. Seasons 3 and 4 are soooo much better than season 2.
They definitely got back on track with season 3, my favorite so far.

The end of this season was awesome. I loved when Colvin was explaining hampsterdam to the bosses. "Have you lost your f'n mind!?!"

Glad to see brother back. He and Omar make an interesting mix.

If I was going to be a gangster, I would take some shooting lessons. These guys can't shoot for s**t.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Season 4 down. Great stuff. Probably my favorite so far. I thought the kids were pretty authentic. Not great actors, but I liked it that way. I sometimes play hoops with a few guys that talk like that, can't understand a damn thing they're saying.

However, I was mighty pissed when Bodie got whacked. He was my favorite gangster.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Alrighty here goes:

Awesome show. I do not think it belongs in the same category as Sopranos, but no show really does. If those guys walked into my living room right now I'd feel like I've know them my whole life. The insight into the minds of those characters will be hard to ever match.

However, I would definitely include this show in the conversation of the most interesting shows ever. I didn't really care for the characters, but I still looked forward to watching whole Baltimore scene unfold.

And now my comments to my customary reread of the thread after finishing a movie/show:

Alright, I just finished season 4. I can't think of a better show on TV right now than this. Everything from acting to writing to cinematography is superb. And this show is just brutal. You see something bad happen and you star looking forward to the bad guy getting caught or killed or fired and then you realize what show you are watching and you know that most likely there will be no karma, there will be no redemption, that the good guys don't always win in the end. The show paints a world that we would like to pretend does not exist.

Well said. It seemed like you were always getting the real deal in this show.

Has anyone ever accepted imminent death so nonchalantly as Snoop?

That was an incredible scene, watched it three times. It demonstrated how little value these guys place on life, even their own.

i always heard great things about this show but never watched. well, i've had A LOT of time on my hands recently and decided I might as well give it a shot and good lord. this show is brilliant. the first season was just a knockout. the second season was a bit of a slow burn that just got hotter and hotter as the season went on. season 3 seemed to be the culmination of both seasons 1 and 2, while opening the door for season 4, which was pretty heartbreaking and then there's season 5, which has just been disturbing from pretty much ever angle. I just finished episode 6 and it's simply rivetting storytelling. The show makes choices that you just don't find on network TV or even movies for that matter. The heroes are scumbags and scumbags are even bigger scumbags and everything seems to be folding into itself. can't wait to see how this finishes.

My thoughts exactly on each season.

And sometimes heroes as well, relatively speaking.

The best part of this show is the layering of everything...everyone has good qualities and bad qualities, all the bullsh is the same, no matter whether on the corners, on the beat, in the school, in the union, in the government. "The Game" applies to every environment...over and over again, and you see the same motivations and circumstances. You like/hate characters, but rarely do you do so completely. I didn't hate String until he went at Omar. I love Omar, but his obsession with revenge blinds him and hurts those around him.

I love this show...where nobody is good yet everyone is at the same time.

And I've never been so invested in so many characters...ever.

Good point about the layering. The Game is the Game. I loved how they created the web of characters and showed how they're all connected somehow.

There were sooo many good characters in this show, even the smaller bit parts. I loved Bubbles' sponsor. He just seemed to steal the scene every time he spoke.

5 Seasons of The Wire in 5 minutes (Lots of Spoilers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZExR3mpv6_k&e

This link didn't work for me, but I found this one below. Pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX1Du7d4gTU

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Geez, I miss it after these new series on TV aren't half as good.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I just watched the first episode ... and was really underwhelmed. Does it take a couple episodes to take hold of you?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I just watched the first episode ... and was really underwhelmed. Does it take a couple episodes to take hold of you?
Don't ask me. I was underwhelmed with the whole first season. Stopped watching.

Only one in the world who didn't like. Except for my wife.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

It's been so long since I've watched it that I'm not sure exactly how it started out. I know that I loved the entire series, so I'd encourage you to continue.

Don't ask me. I was underwhelmed with the whole first season. Stopped watching.

Only one in the world who didn't like. Except for my wife.

Your dead :D

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was same way.. Took me about 5 episodes.. But after that I was hooked. Show is pure genius!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the show is the single best slow burn in TV history Pariah. it won't overwhelm you at once, but after a while, you'll realize you're addicted to it. keep watching.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the show is the single best slow burn in TV history Pariah. it won't overwhelm you at once, but after a while, you'll realize you're addicted to it. keep watching.
I think you fell asleep watching it and dreamt it was good.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, then. It's the Wire next (two more eps of BoB, then onward...)

Personally, at a minimum, I'd find at least a few hours of something else to watch in between. I don't think the Wire is on the level of Band of Brothers but nowhere is the difference more obvious than in the early episodes. Watch something lighter in between and you have a better chance of appreciating the Wire IMO. Actually, it doesn't even have to be lighter fare. You could even start watching Pacific and by the time you're bored to tears by it you should be ready for the Wire.

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn