The Suns next big move

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Either way, it is a complete waste of a lottery pick, which is why I want James Jones gone ASAP.

you know that is not happening for at least 2 years or if you don’t you should know.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
you know that is not happening for at least 2 years or if you don’t you should know.

Then we're in for at least 2 more years of hell, and all we will have at the end to show for it is Ayton marginally better than he is now at the end of his rookie contract and Booker having demanded a trade, if Jones hasn't already given him away for pennies on the dollar.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gallinari being pursued means Saric or Cam Johnson, along with Tyler Johnson and a pick is on the way out? They can't have a log jam situation again.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gallinari being pursued means Saric or Cam Johnson, along with Tyler Johnson and a pick is on the way out? They can't have a log jam situation again.

With James Jones as GM, of course they can...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been listening to sound bites from the Suns brass the last couple days. Unless they are completely snowballing Ayton isn't going anywhere. It sounds like they are all in with Ayton for now. So, I don't think there is a chance in hell he is going anywhere this year. So if this team is going to pull off a big trade you can probably kiss Oubre goodbye since he is the only thing outside of Rubio or an expiring contract that has value.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have been listening to sound bites from the Suns brass the last couple days. Unless they are completely snowballing Ayton isn't going anywhere. It sounds like they are all in with Ayton for now. So, I don't think there is a chance in hell he is going anywhere this year. So if this team is going to pull off a big trade you can probably kiss Oubre goodbye since he is the only thing outside of Rubio or an expiring contract that has value.

we actually have a quite a few of those, so i'm not sure why we'd lose Oubre along with them, especially when it's significant figure that could come off the books for a team. Besides everyone know Oubre is the heart and driving force of the team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aaron Gordon remains a topic when it comes to trades.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Tyler Johnson and our 2020 1st would be enough to get Gordon.

It might depend upon the protection the Suns put on the 1st rounder. I can see them wanting more.

Maybe if the Suns took on a bad contract and swapped it out with an expiring it might help.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Is Gordon even any good?

He is light years better than any power forward we currently have (unless you count Ayton as a power forward), and he gives us exactly what we need at the 4 next to Ayton - Athleticism, rim protection, defense and at least okay rebounding, with enough outside shooting ability to keep opposing defenses honest.

Is he a star? No. But I don't think realistically we can do better at power forward.

Now, if you count Ayton as a power forward, we should also be inquiring about Drummond, who would bring exactly what we need at the 5 (athleticism, rim protection, defense, rebounding and toughness).

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is light years better than any power forward we currently have (unless you count Ayton as a power forward), and he gives us exactly what we need at the 4 next to Ayton - Athleticism, rim protection, defense and at least okay rebounding, with enough outside shooting ability to keep opposing defenses honest.

Is he a star? No. But I don't think realistically we can do better at power forward.

Now, if you count Ayton as a power forward, we should also be inquiring about Drummond, who would bring exactly what we need at the 5 (athleticism, rim protection, defense, rebounding and toughness).

A lineup with Ayton, Drummond and Rubio would be, in so many ways, a complete disaster.

This isn't the 1980s anymore.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A lineup with Ayton, Drummond and Rubio would be, in so many ways, a complete disaster.

This isn't the 1980s anymore.

It would require that Ayton develop a much better outside shot. That much is sure.

Just realize that a line-up with Saric, Booker and Rubio is the defensive equivalent of that level of disaster (if Ayton were not to develop a much better outside shot), with it becoming even worse adding Cam Johnson, Ty Jerome and Frank Kaminsky that that mix...

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would require that Ayton develop a much better outside shot. That much is sure.

Just realize that a line-up with Saric, Booker and Rubio is the defensive equivalent of that level of disaster (if Ayton were not to develop a much better outside shot), with it becoming even worse adding Cam Johnson, Ty Jerome and Frank Kaminsky that that mix...

Our defense is currently rated 19th in the league, when Ayton is one the court our defensive rating is really really good.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Our defense is currently rated 19th in the league, when Ayton is one the court our defensive rating is really really good.

A big part of that is Saric losing pretty much all of his playing time, Cam Johnson losing minutes, Kaminsky getting injured and Ty Jerome being removed from the rotation entirely.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Bump. What do you think now? If your observation was accurate, they just suddenly threw him under the bus for no reason.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Bump. What do you think now? If your observation was accurate, they just suddenly threw him under the bus for no reason.
In all fairness, could it be that not starting him tonight was to keep him fresh for the finish of the game? Which worked.

The Suns are in desperation mode, game to game. It doesn't necessarily reflect on individual players.

I say that, despite thinking that Ayton doesn't fit in with hopes of improving as a team.