The Suns next big move

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Bickley is good at taking the temperature of the fan base and adding fuel to their anger, which gets him clicks and attention. The notion of giving up Ayton at this point is dumb to begin with. Having a prominent local writer perpetuate it makes the situation worse
I'd even go with adding Love and keeping Ayton at this point. We need to see if Monty and staff can get the most out of him. If not then you move him in the OS and ONLY then.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know what keeps players on teams? Winning. Big picture, what has KAT done to get Minnesota out of their malaise?

If you trade for KAT, you’re giving up a developing Ayton and future assets to another western conference team. If/when Ayton hits on his potential and those picks turn into solid contributors, you’ve all of a sudden given ammunition to another struggling WC team to leapfrog you in the rebuilding process.

I wasn't for the idea of trading for KAT before - but I am now.

For 4 reasons

1. We need to keep Booker happy
2. Ayton looks worse than last season - at best he looks equivalent.
3. Jones is unlikely to use the draft assets used to acquire him up to their trade value.
4. This team needs a major jolt of optimism right now.

Of course this completely hinges on if Minnesota would actually even deal him.

I don't love the way Towns plays - he is on the perimeter too much for my taste - but he is very very effective and is only likely to get better. At this point I am not so sure about Ayton ever achieving anywhere near his ceiling because he really seems to mentally not have what it takes.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
for me right now, i'm looking more for a Kuzma/Gordon forward. More athleticism, length and offensive power. I'd be opposed to a KAT/Love trade.

Or a simple lineup change with Bridges in there. They could all switch on the perimeter pretty much with Ayton holding down the middle.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I wasn't for the idea of trading for KAT before - but I am now.

For 4 reasons

1. We need to keep Booker happy
2. Ayton looks worse than last season - at best he looks equivalent.
3. Jones is unlikely to use the draft assets used to acquire him up to their trade value.
4. This team needs a major jolt of optimism right now.

Of course this completely hinges on if Minnesota would actually even deal him.

I don't love the way Towns plays - he is on the perimeter too much for my taste - but he is very very effective and is only likely to get better. At this point I am not so sure about Ayton ever achieving anywhere near his ceiling because he really seems to mentally not have what it takes.

Those are all microwave reasons to do the deal. If we get KAT and we’re still losing, Book isn’t staying as we can’t do much to improve without draft picks.

Also, people should stop psychoanalyzing Ayton and assuming things about his mentality. If you think Ayton is ok with the status quo, I have ocean front property to sell to you

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bickley is good at taking the temperature of the fan base and adding fuel to their anger, which gets him clicks and attention. The notion of giving up Ayton at this point is dumb to begin with. Having a prominent local writer perpetuate it makes the situation worse

It doesn't seem dumb since day one fans and media have floated this idea. I was against it at first but Aytons game is uninspiring to me. I think KAT and Book have a synergy and chemistry that would be hard to deny.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Blake Griffin is the frontcourt equivalent of John Wall at this point. I have no idea why anyone thinks acquiring him is a good idea unless you are stuck watching reruns of NBA TV from six years ago.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
It doesn't seem dumb since day one fans and media have floated this idea. I was against it at first but Aytons game is uninspiring to me. I think KAT and Book have a synergy and chemistry that would be hard to deny.

Fans and media floating ideas isn’t dumb? Is this your first experience on a message board? Fans say dumb crap all of the time. Suns fans are certainly not excluded.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You know what keeps players on teams? Winning. Big picture, what has KAT done to get Minnesota out of their malaise?

If you trade for KAT, you’re giving up a developing Ayton and future assets to another western conference team. If/when Ayton hits on his potential and those picks turn into solid contributors, you’ve all of a sudden given ammunition to another struggling WC team to leapfrog you in the rebuilding process.

You know what...Ayton is solid but he doesn't have a fire in his belly. He looked that way in college and hes looking that way now. He may get there but Book will be out the door by the time it happens.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Fans and media floating ideas isn’t dumb? Is this your first experience on a message board? Fans say dumb crap all of the time. Suns fans are certainly not excluded.

At lot of ppl have been floating it because it's an obvious move. It's an easy sell to 'most'...depending on the deal. How many more years are suns fans going to wait for Ayton to get some balls?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Those are all microwave reasons to do the deal. If we get KAT and we’re still losing, Book isn’t staying as we can’t do much to improve without draft picks.

Also, people should stop psychoanalyzing Ayton and assuming things about his mentality. If you think Ayton is ok with the status quo, I have ocean front property to sell to you

I feel like I have been more than patient with him.

This is not rocket science - he even says in interviews what he needs to do - get physical draw fouls and not shoot 15 footers - but he won't do it!

If he won't even try to play the right way - how will he improve? He won't.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I feel like I have been more than patient with him.

This is not rocket science - he even says in interviews what he needs to do - get physical draw fouls and not shoot 15 footers - but he won't do it!

If he won't even try to play the right way - how will he improve? He won't.

Ayton is all about his comfort level...which can be a good or bad thing. Playoffs is all about tough hard nosed physical basketball and getting to the line...uhh that doesn't seem like Aytons comfort game

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm not for trading Ayton just to trade him but this idea that we'll regret trading him for KAT down the line is a bit ridiculous. It's definitely not dumb to consider.

Will Ayton ever get to where Towns is? I doubt it. If Ayton were averaging what Towns is then we wouldn't be talking about trading him but he's nowhere close to him statistically and I would be shocked if he ever gets to the point where he's averaging 26, 12, and 4 while shooting 51% from the field and almost 42% from 3. How much longer will it take for Ayton to get to the point where that statline is a realistic projection for him? Not this year or next.

How much longer are we to wait for Ayton? Until we max him out and then who will be here to play with him? I seriously doubt Booker will be. Make no mistake, Ayton will demand the max when it's available. He's talked about that since he declared for the draft. He's also questioned how players stay motivated after receiving it. That isn't someone I'd want to pay the max to.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not for trading Ayton just to trade him but this idea that we'll regret trading him for KAT down the line is a bit ridiculous. It's definitely not dumb to consider.

Will Ayton ever get to where Towns is? I doubt it. If Ayton were averaging what Towns is then we wouldn't be talking about trading him but he's nowhere close to him statistically and I would be shocked if he ever gets to the point where he's averaging 26, 12, and 4 while shooting 51% from the field and almost 42% from 3. How much longer will it take for Ayton to get to the point where that statline is a realistic projection for Ayton? Not this year or next.

How much longer are we to wait for Ayton? Until we max him out and then who will be here to play with him? I seriously doubt Booker will be. Make no mistake, Ayton will demand the max when it's available. He's talked about that since he declared for the draft. He's also questioned how players stay motivated after receiving it. That isn't someone I'd want to pay the max to.

It all comes down to if and when Ayton grows up. Certainly won't happen with the current dysfunctional management structure with the GM and Coach giving him different messages at the same time and the Owner meanwhile pulling the strings in a third direction.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One more thing I want to get off my chest.

If I hear Deandre say DominAyton, or wear some stupid Dominayton Tshirt again I am going to scream.

The furthest thing from domination is shooting open 17 footers when posting up, and being afraid to contest shots.

His play is the antithesis of domination.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It all comes down to if and when Ayton grows up. Certainly won't happen with the current dysfunctional management structure with the GM and Coach giving him different messages at the same time and the Owner meanwhile pulling the strings in a third direction.

True dat. How many bigs have the suns developed into stardom lately? We have graveyard of undeveloped corpses ....Len RIP...Chriss RIP....Bender RIP

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Will Ayton ever get to where Towns is? I doubt it. If Ayton were averaging what Towns is then we wouldn't be talking about trading him but he's nowhere close to him statistically and I would be shocked if he ever gets to the point where he's averaging 26, 12, and 4 while shooting 51% from the field and almost 42% from 3. How much longer will it take for Ayton to get to the point where that statline is a realistic projection for Ayton? Not this year or next.

That's all I'm saying...I dont think we have years more of patience. And Townes is the real deal NOW...not two or three years from now. And if getting him keeps us Booker that's a big net plus. Plus maybe free agency will come knocking to play with them guys. Not sure what we could afford at that point...

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know what...Ayton is solid but he doesn't have a fire in his belly. He looked that way in college and hes looking that way now. He may get there but Book will be out the door by the time it happens.

If fire in the belly is your concern then KAT isn't the answer. He is widely viewed as not really caring, content to simply get his points.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If fire in the belly is your concern then KAT isn't the answer. He is widely viewed as not really caring, content to simply get his points.

Yeah but compared to Ayton he has fire...hes blocking, stealing, assisting, scoring, and rebounding at a higher rate. Plus put him next to his homie Booker and see what lights up.

I thought you were the one that talked about a players motor and how that's a huge concern...

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah but compared to Ayton he has fire...hes blocking, stealing, assisting, scoring, and rebounding at a higher rate. Plus put him next to his homie Booker and see what lights up.

I thought you were the one that talked about a players motor and how that's a huge concern...

Ayton is, already, a significantly better defender than KAT.

And yes, motor is a big concern, and KAT has a lot of questions about his motor and he has already shown he doesn't care about defense and many think he doesn't care about winning.

KAT is better than Ayton right now, I am not denying that, but KAT has serious warts himself and I don't think pairing Booker up with his buddies is a good idea.

I don't think a KAT Booker team has much of a ceiling. I would almost rather blow the whole thing up than cap ourselves out with a team that will, at best, fight for 7th or 8th seeds.

And back on the motor... Ayton's "motor" has been fine, he has been busting his butt on defense and on the glass. Where Ayton worries me is his settling for garbage long jumpers.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm also surprised that no one has mentioned KAT has been out for a month with a knee injury.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
True dat. How many bigs have the suns developed into stardom lately? We have graveyard of undeveloped corpses ....Len RIP...Chriss RIP....Bender RIP

Yeah, but they have not exactly developed on their new teams either.

Chriss is likely gone from the NBA for good - and he was given several chances.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ayton is, already, a significantly better defender than KAT.

And yes, motor is a big concern, and KAT has a lot of questions about his motor and he has already shown he doesn't care about defense and many think he doesn't care about winning.

KAT is better than Ayton right now, I am not denying that, but KAT has serious warts himself and I don't think pairing Booker up with his buddies is a good idea.

I don't think a KAT Booker team has much of a ceiling. I would almost rather blow the whole thing up than cap ourselves out with a team that will, at best, fight for 7th or 8th seeds.

And back on the motor... Ayton's "motor" has been fine, he has been busting his butt on defense and on the glass. Where Ayton worries me is his settling for garbage long jumpers.

Ok fair enough. I'm just not sure Booker is going to wait around for the finished product...but that might be another topic.

Frankly I'd be more excited to see a KAT Book combo. And you are already conceding that's a playoff bound product whereas what we have now is ???

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't think this is accurate.

He started the season off on fire, than reality set in that his team still sucked and he could not win games by himself.

I really think he will give you all he has if winning is doable.

If we could get Booker and KAT together, that twosome is right up there with the best two some's in the NBA. Yeah, we still would not have the supporting cast for now - but our ability to get free agents would be vastly improved with the two of them locked up for the next 4 years.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok fair enough. I'm just not sure Booker is going to wait around for the finished product...but that might be another topic.

Frankly I'd be more excited to see a KAT Book combo. And you are already conceding that's a playoff bound product whereas what we have now is ???

No, I am not conceding that team is playoff bound. I think a low playoff seed is their ceiling, and seeing as we'd be capped out and probably will have surrendered picks to create the potential mediocrity, I don't know how that team gets any better.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No, I am not conceding that team is playoff bound. I think a low playoff seed is their ceiling, and seeing as we'd be capped out and probably will have surrendered picks to create the potential mediocrity, I don't know how that team gets any better.

Well, we're already pretty much capped out, and we've seen what James Jones does with picks...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson