The Suns next big move

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The #1 pick in this draft gets you an extremely flawed player like Edwards, Anthony, Wiseman, or (God forbid) LaMelo Ball. Please stop talking about getting the #1 pick in this draft as though it were a good thing.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
The #1 pick in this draft gets you an extremely flawed player like Edwards, Anthony, Wiseman, or (God forbid) LaMelo Ball. Please stop talking about getting the #1 pick in this draft as though it were a good thing.
There is never a time that owning a number 1 pick is a bad thing (outside of course the fact your bad enough to get it) , there aren't alot of tradable assets more valuable then a #1

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This team desperately needs a guy that can reliably score off the bench. That and/or a PF upgrade should be the target for a trade.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There is never a time that owning a number 1 pick is a bad thing (outside of course the fact your bad enough to get it) , there aren't alot of tradable assets more valuable then a #1

Unfortunately, the #1 in this draft is practically worthless. This is a draft where Pick #20 could very easily end up being better than Pick #1. Very similar to the 2016 draft, only no prospects even at the level of Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram. And nobody has distinguished himself during the college basketball season other than the Dayton forward who is a tweeter whose game likely won't translate to the NBA.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the #1 in this draft is practically worthless. This is a draft where Pick #20 could very easily end up being better than Pick #1. Very similar to the 2016 draft, only no prospects even at the level of Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram. And nobody has distinguished himself during the college basketball season other than the Dayton forward who is a tweeter whose game likely won't translate to the NBA.
You're probably the harshest judge of prospects I've ever seen, but aside from that , there are always players teams fall in love with , people may not like lamelo (I don't) but a PG needy team is going to fall in love with him, same with Wiseman and maybe another player or two after the tournament , it happens every year and those are the players team try to move up to get. #1 is far from worthless regardless of how weak some people may think the draft is

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We don’t need a defensive PF we need a guy on the perimeter than can initiate the offense outside of Booker. When Booker goes to the bench it’s alarming how bad we get out scored.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
https://www.google.com/amp/s/arizon...out-deandre-ayton-for-karl-anthony-towns/amp/

This article sums up my feelings exactly. We've been waiting too long for something to happen. Missed the playoffs for 10 years...multiple draft busts....multiple coaches. Now Aytons lack of motor and physical toughness is too much to bear. Plus for all of you worried about losing Booker...getting KAT almost ensures he stays. Maybe even after this next contract.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.google.com/amp/s/arizon...out-deandre-ayton-for-karl-anthony-towns/amp/

This article sums up my feelings exactly. We've been waiting too long for something to happen. Missed the playoffs for 10 years...multiple draft busts....multiple coaches. Now Aytons lack of motor and physical toughness is too much to bear. Plus for all of you worried about losing Booker...getting KAT almost ensures he stays. Maybe even after this next contract.

I wouldn't be disappointed to land KAT but I also wouldn't be surprised if trading Ayton comes back to haunt us or if he becomes a 22/10 guy. I get why fans are frustrated with Ayton and his lack of a killer extincted or awareness. He may never get that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be disappointed to land KAT but I also wouldn't be surprised if trading Ayton comes back to haunt us or if he becomes a 22/10 guy. I get why fans are frustrated with Ayton and his lack of a killer extincted or awareness. He may never get that.

I think Ayton will minimally become a 22/10 player. The Suns have bigger issues to fix.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like keeping Booker?

I'm not sure we are there yet but if it came down to keeping Booker happy, then of course I would consider trading for Towns if he were available. I'm not so sure he is available though.

Presently I'm looking at how to fix the current Suns. They need more athleticism at the 4/5 and another shooter. Too bad the Suns couldn't land Jordan Clarkson.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That article just reminded me why I hate Bickley. Even when I agree with him, I can't agree completely because of how he presents his argument. He didn't mention how KAT would be better than Ayton or why Ayton isn't enough on his own. He didn't even really address Booker and Town's friendship. He explained why Booker needs help on the court so he can become the basketball version of Fitz but wasn't even presented that well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That article just reminded me why I hate Bickley. Even when I agree with him, I can't agree completely because of how he presents his argument. He didn't mention how KAT would be better than Ayton or why Ayton isn't enough on his own. He didn't even really address Booker and Town's friendship. He explained why Booker needs help on the court so he can become the basketball version of Fitz but wasn't even presented that well.

Honestly I tried to read the article but I couldn't... not even skim it. Your thoughts explains why.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I have heard Blake Griffin's name thrown around and I wonder if we did trade for him if we could maybe get Kennard to be part of that trade. That trade would kill two birds with one stone as we would finally have a legit PF and we would also add some serious scoring punch to the bench unit.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Ok true to all that. And I'm not saying I'm a 100% sold on a trade either. But Bickley does make a few comments about Aytons possible laziness and not bulking up. Plus he implies that Ayton might consider himself a finished product which doesn't seem too far fetched. Plus Booker and Townes do have a history together and I think there is a more solid chance Book stays with Kat. I dont see another team easily absorbing two max contacts at once to keep them together. Not that we havnt seen that happen....

I think KAT and Book would create a buzz together like Barkley/KJ or Amare/Nash. We need some excitement and I dont know how many years we can wait more...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard Blake Griffin's name thrown around and I wonder if we did trade for him if we could maybe get Kennard to be part of that trade. That trade would kill two birds with one stone as we would finally have a legit PF and we would also add some serious scoring punch to the bench unit.

Blake Griffin is a broken down husk of the player he once was with an ATROCIOUS contract. He's averaging 15 ppg, 4.7 rebounds and 3.3 assists while shooting 35% from the field and I think I just read that he's being shut down for the rest of the season with another knee surgery.

The only thing we'd be killing is our cap and any hope of actually getting better at some point before Booker demands a trade.

Why do you think he'd give us a legit PF?!

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Can we really wait on Ayton with Booker so further along? KAT and Booker are on the same development level and timeline at least

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Blake Griffin is a broken down husk of the player he once was with an ATROCIOUS contract. He's averaging 15 ppg, 4.7 rebounds and 3.3 assists while shooting 35% from the field and I think I just read that he's being shut down for the rest of the season with another knee surgery.

The only thing we'd be killing is our cap and any hope of actually getting better at some point before Booker demands a trade.

Why do you think he'd give us a legit PF?!
Yeah I just realized he had another knee surgery.

I would really like to see if we can get Kennard from the Pistons though. I wonder if we could trade straight up Tyler for Kennard and someone else that helps them shed salary. We could throw in a 2nd rounder or two as well if it makes it happen.

I just think that one of the biggest things we need right now is a reliable bench scorer and I am just not seeing many teams that are in a position to want to trade that away. The Pistons are one of the few that have one and might be willing to let him go if it helps them get rid of some salary.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Rumor at the start of the year was that Markkanen was available. Maybe he could play the role Saric was supposed to? What do you think the cost would be?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Rumor at the start of the year was that Markkanen was available. Maybe he could play the role Saric was supposed to? What do you think the cost would be?

Love Markk and he’d be better than Saric, but we need a better defender who can occasionally score, not a PF who likes to camp out on the perimeter

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Love Markk and he’d be better than Saric, but we need a better defender who can occasionally score, not a PF who likes to camp out on the perimeter

And whose defense is almost as bad as Saric's.

TJ

Reaction score
Like keeping Booker?

You know what keeps players on teams? Winning. Big picture, what has KAT done to get Minnesota out of their malaise?

If you trade for KAT, you’re giving up a developing Ayton and future assets to another western conference team. If/when Ayton hits on his potential and those picks turn into solid contributors, you’ve all of a sudden given ammunition to another struggling WC team to leapfrog you in the rebuilding process.

TJ

Reaction score

Blake might be done for the year and I can’t trust that he can ever play a full season ever again

TJ

Reaction score

Bickley is good at taking the temperature of the fan base and adding fuel to their anger, which gets him clicks and attention. The notion of giving up Ayton at this point is dumb to begin with. Having a prominent local writer perpetuate it makes the situation worse