The Shining

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Stephen King books are almost universally better than the movies made of them.
True. It is interesting that examples of movies being better than the written story come out of Different Seasons. IMO Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me & Apt Pupil (movie) were much better than Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, The Body & Apt Pupil (short story).

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Watched this for the first time since I was a kid. It was almost like watching for the first time because I only remembered the iconic scenes. Jack at his best!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 1980 movie is a classic horror film. Great performance by Jack Nicholson, whose character slowly descended into madness.

I wasn't looking for an action film.

I liked the line: "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy"

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
The 1980 movie is a classic horror film. Great performance by Jack Nicholson, whose character slowly descended into madness.

I wasn't looking for an action film.

I liked the line: "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy"
And the scene when Wendy finds the pages he typed...holy crow. So creepy!

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the music, man.

Oh, and props to the hotel recreation in Ready Player One!!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stephen King himself did not like Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of his book and cites several things he felt he got wrong in making the film.

The Real Reason Stephen King Hated Kubrick's The Shining

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are staying here tonight. Timberline Lodge. Hope nothing creepy happens. My wife thinks there may be ghost twin girls down the hall.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Oh yeah, well X-Files suck!
Funny thing is, I refused to watch it when it came out. They were trying to claim it was freaking real. Then TV Guide (yes, that's how far back this goes!) did an expose article, and the producers were all, "Sorry, we were just kidding to drum up interest." That turned me off.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Funny thing is, I refused to watch it when it came out. They were trying to claim it was freaking real. Then TV Guide (yes, that's how far back this goes!) did an expose article, and the producers were all, "Sorry, we were just kidding to drum up interest." That turned me off.
That’s pretty shallow don’t you think?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That’s pretty shallow don’t you think?
Yes, it was a shallow trick to pull ;)

Not really. I watched very little TV at the time because I was a freshman at Penn State after living in a tiny area starved of anything fun my whole life. Also, it's a cheap, stupid stunt that no one was going to fall for. Got them off on a bad foot. Funny you'd try to defend it?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yes, it was a shallow trick to pull ;)

Not really. I watched very little TV at the time because I was a freshman at Penn State after living in a tiny area starved of anything fun my whole life. Also, it's a cheap, stupid stunt that no one was going to fall for. Got them off on a bad foot. Funny you'd try to defend it?
I think we’re probably talking about two different things. Probably my bad.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are staying here tonight. Timberline Lodge. Hope nothing creepy happens. My wife thinks there may be ghost twin girls down the hall.

This sounds like so much fun even though I joke about all those ghost programs on television.

Btw, my family did pass a long a serious ghost story presented as fact, but I was so young I don't remember all the details.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This sounds like so much fun even though I joke about all those ghost programs on television.

Btw, my family did pass a long a serious ghost story presented as fact, but I was so young I don't remember all the details.

Too bad someone didn't write it down!
We survived our stay at the Timberline. It's actually an amazing place.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad someone didn't write it down!
We survived our stay at the Timberline. It's actually an amazing place.

Someone in the family with direct knowledge should have written it down, but they are all gone now. My sister and I used to talk about it. It was taken very seriously within the family.

What an amazing adventure at the Timberline Lodge. It looks beautiful from the videos. Also, I believe I saw a segment about it from "60 Minutes" years ago.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Someone in the family with direct knowledge should have written it down, but they are all gone now. My sister and I used to talk about it. It was taken very seriously within the family.

What an amazing adventure at the Timberline Lodge. It looks beautiful from the videos. Also, I believe I saw a segment about it from "60 Minutes" years ago.

It's great. My wife wanted to do the Hood Mountain railroad. So I immediately thought of the Timberline which I've seen on the PCT YouTube videos. The PCT runs right behind the lodge. I actually was able to hike a couple miles yesterday before she woke up.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was blown away by how well Doctor Sleep served as an effective sequel.
Doctor Sleep was excellet in it's own right but they way they walked the tight rope at honoring the material but making it a sequel to the move was great IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose