The Shining

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched this over the weekend and thought it was terrible. Nothing happened, the dialogue sucked. The scariest part of the movie was Shelly Duval's grill. How exactly did this movie become a classic?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also want to say
You must be registered for see images

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched this over the weekend and thought it was terrible. Nothing happened, the dialogue sucked. The scariest part of the movie was Shelly Duval's grill. How exactly did this movie become a classic?

I am in total agreement with the above statement.

SNOOZE FEST.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess nothing happened unless you count twin little girl ghosts cornering a little boy in a hallway, giving him flashes of their dead carcasses chopped up with an axe, Jack Nicholson seeing the ghost of a guy who killed his wife and kids years ago, JAck chasing his wife and kid with an axe, Wendy seeing ghosts dressed up as animals giving each other blow jobs, elevators full of blood flowing through hallways, and the epic line "Here's Johnny." Other than that, nothing really happened and the dialogue sucked. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
Anyone talking trash about a classic like the "Shining" should be forced to sit throught a 48 hour continuous loop of Ed Wood movies for punishment... :shock:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
first Caddyshack's not funny, now The Shining's terrible?

I know it's hot in Phoenix right now, but it ain't melt your brain hot yet.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am in total agreement with the above statement.

SNOOZE FEST.

Oh yeah, well X-Files suck!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think part of the problem with watching some of these movies for the first time NOW is that a lot of movies have since gotten more graphic. Both The Shining and Caddyshack were cutting edge in their genres at the time. Those of us that saw them then have viewed them from that perspective. Seeing them now for the first time, especially after reading all the praise for them, there is bound to be a major letdown.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think part of the problem with watching some of these movies for the first time NOW is that a lot of movies have since gotten more graphic. Both The Shining and Caddyshack were cutting edge in their genres at the time. Those of us that saw them then have viewed them from that perspective. Seeing them now for the first time, especially after reading all the praise for them, there is bound to be a major letdown.

Exactly.
Recently a friend of mine, he's in his early twenties, saw Taxi Driver for the first time. He thought it sucked.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It was hit and miss for me. As was the mini series that aired about 10 years ago with the guy from "Wings" and the chick that's always getting beat up on lifetime.

There was also a little kid that played Danny. I kinda wish the ghosts killed him.

And as far as Ms. Shelly goes, I kept waiting for Robin Williams to pop in and do his Popeye riff.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
:D I had it rated an 8/10 but can't remember seeing it. Maybe it scared me when I was younger, not sure.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember when the previews came out for this movie. I would cover my eyes and plug my ears because that was enough to scare me. Yeah, I'm a ween. :p