The Rebuild Theory

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only if Murray lets him. It’s hard to imagine a coach that would start with a higher opinion of Murray than Kingsbury did
I suspect you hit the nail on the head as to why he regressed after coming back from his injury last season and into this season. Too chummy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's incredibly pessimistic to take this view, because the Cardinals have been BAAAAAD in close games this year. As we all know, over time, teams tend to deviate towards the mean on close games.

This year the Cardinals sucked, next year they might not. Or they go .500 in close games.
It’s incredibly pessimistic to acknowledge that we also won close or winnable games? I think that’s realistic. Ignoring that fact is burying your head in the sand, IMO.

That’s not to say better coaching won’t help this team. That’s blatantly obvious, and if we get that next year I don’t foresee another 4 win season even if Kyler isn’t back until mid-season. A good coach can go a long way to fixing a lot of problems.

Whether we can even get one of those is the biggest unknowns going into next season.

That said, even if we do, he’s got his work cut out for him. we’re losing our best defensive linemen on a line that’s already mediocre at best. Could lose our second best defensive linemen there and our best CB (my guess is we get one of those two back) and have a ton of holes elsewhere and a big question mark at QB.

Last edited:

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I agree. The cupboard is not bare. The offensive line needs to be completely rebuilt. We need a stud DL. Need a really good CB.

Most important..... Fire Kliff. Get a new pair of eyes for Murray.
I don't know how you can say it's not bare. There's only 30 guys under contract for it right now with only ~$21M in cap. And that's including stiffs like Golden. Hudson and Anderson will give a little more money but that's also 2 more spots to fill.

This along with Kyler's injury says to use 2023 as a mulligan to get the cap right and wash the stink of Keim off.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Sean comes here he did say he would want a power run game, probably similar to what Shanahan has. I expect some OL AND a top Rb to be taken.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
True. Why even have coaches?
Why pay a 1/4 billion to a player you have to tell "don't throw off your back foot" and "don't stare down a receiver, go through your progressions." He has been coached that his whole life. It is on him, not the coaches. And I mean all coaches, not just the HC. Kyler is extremely talented, I am tired of making excuses for him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how you can say it's not bare. There's only 30 guys under contract for it right now with only ~$21M in cap. And that's including stiffs like Golden. Hudson and Anderson will give a little more money but that's also 2 more spots to fill.

This along with Kyler's injury says to use 2023 as a mulligan to get the cap right and wash the stink of Keim off.
This really is amazing incompetence.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why pay a 1/4 billion to a player you have to tell "don't throw off your back foot" and "don't stare down a receiver, go through your progressions." He has been coached that his whole life. It is on him, not the coaches. And I mean all coaches, not just the HC. Kyler is extremely talented, I am tired of making excuses for him.
Ok. Sounds good.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is purposely being obtuse your thing or something?

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Me too also.

The most damning part, other than the premature granting and amount of the contract, is that MB needed to be a jackass and add that stupid clause. If that was a concern he should have waited, he held all the cards (MB that is).

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I agree. The cupboard is not bare. The offensive line needs to be completely rebuilt. We need a stud DL. Need a really good CB.

Most important..... Fire Kliff. Get a new pair of eyes for Murray.
It's a pretty bleak cupboard. We only have to fix the belly of the team + more.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the cap situation is ok ........ just ok

Overthecap's "effective cap" figure (normalized for the number of players under contract) gives them ~$2mm in cap space ... which believe it or not puts them at the league average

they have some easy moves to get to $~25mm or so --

the Cards shouldnt be limited

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Me too also.

The most damning part, other than the premature granting and amount of the contract, is that MB needed to be a jackass and add that stupid clause. If that was a concern he should have waited, he held all the cards (MB that is).

Me too, too. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: TRW

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Overthecap's "effective cap" figure (normalized for the number of players under contract) gives them ~$2mm in cap space ... which believe it or not puts them at the league average

SPOTRAC

We are at 21.6m in black under the Cap going into 2023.

Cutting Anderson adds $12m - Hudson $5.7m - subtotal: $39.3m

Trading DHop will add $8.1m - Total of new Cap space: $47.5m

A new contract for Hollywood should come under his $13.4m fifth-year option in season 1 and create additional space.

Additionally, contract structure and restructuring will allow the team to stretch dollars.

P.S. Every year is a rebuild of sorts. Free Agency, Draft, UDFA's. If one considers the roster as a whole, it's 15, 20, 25%.

Last edited:

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I’m still of the mindset that thus season can be a good thing for our young core team. Hey Murray is arrogant, yet he doesn’t really know or believe that. Pain causes results nothing else will. Kingsbury cates but is not disciplined, maybe this will remind him to balance the game plan and earn first downs, allowing all 3 dimension to perform together in coordination.

but really I go back to Denny Greene and I believed we got rid of him early, . he built the team that went to the sb, changed the culture, whiz coached then destroyed both.
GM matters and new GM should be given a shot with KK and Murry! if it doesn’t work out then rebuild.

me saying this is probably the coffins nail. They seem to always do the exact opposite. But would like a proven Gm, that ain’t ascared to argue with Bidwill. I like Michael and think he wants to do what it takes to win. If they bring in sean Payton I’m out of here, keep the team honest, honorable and clean.

have a lot more hope for this team in the near future, then any other cardinal team I can remember at the bottom.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

...and relatively few players under contract. We have very little to play with.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Next season the Cardinals will be playing a 4th place schedule versus this year's 2nd place.

There is some talent on the roster, e.g. at TE and safety, that form a basis. Without a coaching upgrade that talent will continue to be wasted and frustrate guys like Hopkins. It is absolutely critical that Kliff is dismissed on Black Monday. Getting Payton would excite the roster and fan base in my opinion

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
SPOTRAC

We are at 21.6m in black under the Cap going into 2023.
yes -- but this is with only 31 players under contract. Its why i like Overthecap's "Effective cap space" measurement-- and then compare where they are vs the rest of the NFL

it could be worse cap wise: the Saints are in an interesting place (this feels like an evergreen post for me): they are $54mm over the cap with 38 players signed. Last year they pulled every cap $ accounting trick they could -- so there is a limit to his. curious to see what happens there

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Cardinals don't have a designated quarterback coach. They had long time NFL assistant Tom Clements for Kyler's first couple seasons.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose